Does a gain in weight mean a better CHIN?

Chuvalo sure had a great chin. Not convinced it was rhe best, but it's
Up there. Funny thing too is Chuvalo still has all his marbles and actually sounds better now than he did when he was younger. What's even more amazing is that he has 2 or 3 times as many fights as most boxers(some being punch drunk). Good on you
george

Didn't Sherdog do a story on this in 2012?

I think you are right TS.

Here's the greatest chin in boxing history on the subject.

I don't know about this one.

He himself says he didn't take as many shots as most people think, so...

I don't think so but there are many things that contribute to having a "good chin". Things like the person's skull structure, hydration, fitness level, etc.

I don't think so but there are many things that contribute to having a "good chin". Things like the person's skull structure, hydration, fitness level, etc.

There's no way to test any of that though so it's really not even worth discussing. Especially when you start trying to compare, this guy's chin to that guy's chin.

hari3.gif

This high kick isn't a parameter, every fighter who gets a kick like this right on the chin would suffer a knockdown at least.

There's no way to test any of that though so it's really not even worth discussing. Especially when you start trying to compare, this guy's chin to that guy's chin.

Agreed but people who compete can tell you many of these are factors, hydration I know for a fact affects your ability to take a punch.

idk hard to say......Dan henderson seems to have a great chin no matter what weight he fights in....But he has been rocked in fights from Middle weight to heavy weight and has been able to KO/TKO opponents from Middle weight to heavy weight.....I think it has alot to do with just how your body is built, he does have that weird shaped head....and big ass hands....#2 GOAT imo

idk hard to say......Dan henderson seems to have a great chin no matter what weight he fights in....But he has been rocked in fights from Middle weight to heavy weight and has been able to KO/TKO opponents from Middle weight to heavy weight.....I think it has alot to do with just how your body is built, he does have that weird shaped head....and big ass hands....#2 GOAT imo

Hendo is a freak of Nature in respect to his chin and his Hbomb

I think it does. Most times it might not matter much in MMA because of weight classes. If a MW is getting KO by other MW's than it would be reasonable to think that if he moves up a weight class than the bigger stronger guys at the weight class above will also KO him. If he was allowed to keep his weight on and still fight at MW than his chin might hold up better due to the extra weight he has on.

On the other hand if someone has a decent shot and hits you in the right spot you are going out regardless. Cutting too much weight could be a factor to.

It is generally thought that strengthening the muscles in and around the neck and jaw area can improve your chin. Marvin Hagler supposedely had abnormally big temporalis muscles which contributed to his incredible chin and for a long time in boxing, strengthening the neck and surrounding muscles has been something stressed by trainers. This isn't really an exact science, though.

Here is a video where George Chuvalo (a man never floored at HW even though he fought some massive punchers) attempts to explain his chin.

Damn you!!!! Beat me to the punch. Good job and post.

If weight = chin then Zulu never should have been dropped by Fedor.

If weight = chin then Zulu never should have been dropped by Fedor.

Weight doesn`t = chin. But could possibly let you take a little harder shot than you would if you were xx amount of lbs lighter. That doesn`t mean that certain person don`t have a glass jaw anymore. They could still have a glass jaw but the glass is a little thicker.

when a fighter as big as ao had to cut to 205, it definitly strains the body so much so it affects brain function so its easier to get kod. easier to black out, etc.

People have theories that cutting less=better recovery. I buy into it actually.

Florian said that one thing he noticed when dropping down to 145 was that he couldn't take as big of a shot

So you don't believe that theres anything to the idea that Chuck had a better chin earlier in his career, compared to the end of it?

Really?

I'm not saying it's particle physics, but you don't think that theres anything to the observation?

Back