Do you wear a cup?

I don't although I recently had a girl drop her elbow into my crotch so I think I'm going to at least try wearing one.

When I first started (a long time ago now, like a month), I got one of the standard issue white ones. It took me about 2 classes to realize it was uncomfortable as all hell and seemed to do more nut smashing than protecting. So I ordered one of those ones in the lycra shorts like I used to wear for hockey, and it's a lot more comfortable. I lift right after class and I don't even bother to change out of it between because it's just not a factor.

I don't wear a cup.:icon_lol:

Thank you SO much for reviving this 3+ year old thread to impart such a valuable piece of knowledge upon us. We will be forever in your debt Sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman. :icon_neut

I did something horrible to a gi checker at the last IBJJF Chicago Summer Open.

This poor guy had been there all day and was mentally on auto-pilot. He ran through the list of questions without really thinking about them. And then... a question we females don't often hear.

IBJJF Guy: "Are you wearing a cup?"

Me: "No, I just walk that way sometimes."

I did something horrible to a gi checker at the last IBJJF Chicago Summer Open.

This poor guy had been there all day and was mentally on auto-pilot. He ran through the list of questions without really thinking about them. And then... a question we females don't often hear.

IBJJF Guy: "Are you wearing a cup?"

Me: "No, I just walk that way sometimes."

hahaha! That's awesome.
When I went to weigh in a few weeks back I didn't know they had a 1.1lb allowance for clothes so when I was over by .3 pounds, I jumped off the scale and asked if I could drop my shorts. The guys said "get back on the scale" so I asked again if I could drop my shorts. Again I was told to get back on the scale. I did and he said "Good. You made weight because the 1.1lb allowance for clothing. Why do all you guys want to strip down in front of me?" lol

no. its just annoying and gets in the way. course maybe one of these days ill take a REAL bad shot to the nuts and think differently

hahaha! That's awesome.
When I went to weigh in a few weeks back I didn't know they had a 1.1lb allowance for clothes so when I was over by .3 pounds, I jumped off the scale and asked if I could drop my shorts. The guys said "get back on the scale" so I asked again if I could drop my shorts. Again I was told to get back on the scale. I did and he said "Good. You made weight because the 1.1lb allowance for clothing. Why do all you guys want to strip down in front of me?" lol

Y'know, if he REALLY wanted to make it stop, he'd say straight up that there's a 1.1 lb clothing allowance, and probably fewer people would be disrobing in front of him.

Or maybe a sign saying: "There's a 1.1 lb allowance for clothing. PLEASE keep it on."

Y'know, if he REALLY wanted to make it stop, he'd say straight up that there's a 1.1 lb clothing allowance, and probably fewer people would be disrobing in front of him.

Or maybe a sign saying: "There's a 1.1 lb allowance for clothing. PLEASE keep it on."

I think he was just putting on a show in case his buddies were watching... we know why he volunteered to work the weigh-in station. :wink:

hahaha! That's awesome.

hahaha. The first tournament i did, i weighed in the day before because i was kind of close to the limit. It was hilarious to me that at least half the dudes would strip down to just their shorts, despite some of them being 5 lbs under the limit. You could just tell they were resisting the urge to flex and could probably hear Joe Rogan in their heads..."Ooonnne forty nine for Mr.___"

As for the subject of this 3 year old thread, even the flexible cups bruise the insides of my thighs, so i only wear them in tournaments, when i remember. And the only time i've ever taken a hard shot was when my atrocious takedown skills caused my opponent's shin to Thai kick me. You'll never see me shoot a straight single again, lol.

It was hilarious to me that at least half the dudes would strip down to just their shorts, despite some of them being 5 lbs under the limit. You could just tell they were resisting the urge to flex and could probably hear Joe Rogan in their heads..."Ooonnne forty nine for Mr.___"

Oh man I must be doing it all wrong.

I do competitive martial arts solely for entertainment. Weigh-ins are a unique opportunity to amuse myself at other people's expense. There's a lot of comic potential there.

Last time I went to a tournament that allowed early weigh-ins, about 400 people signed up but there were only two skill divisions and three weight divisions for women: <125, <145, and open. Since I was solidly in the middle of <145 I decided to have fun at the expense of the event staff, who have a thankless job and who spend a lot of time being bored.

I minced in wearing what I happened to have on, which included 4 inch heels, hair accessories, sunglasses, and clunky jewelry. I still made <145 by a reasonable margin. But I did not actually step on the scale with the designer purse. I set it aside because I was determined it wasn't going to be "that" kind of girlfight. At that tournament I did end up winning both my gi and no-gi divisions, but they did make me get rid of the shoes, jewelry, and shades before stepping on the mat.

Is that you in your av RA? If anything, I'd wonder how you fight with the hair, not the purse/earrings, etc... lol

Back