• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Think There Are Pre-Historic Monsters Deep Down In The Ocean?

Prehistoric? Almost certainly not.

Evolution is ultimately powered by energy. It's just too cold and there's not enough available energy down there for life to have developed large, carnivorous things that we haven't even conceived of. Hydothermal vents? Yes, that's energy, but the motherfucking SUN is in a different energy league several dozen orders of magnitude greater.

People go on about how little of the ocean we have explored, as if a percentage of surface with very little bioactivity has much bearing. The reality is that the overwhelming amount of marine life, its biomass and all of it's energy transfers between trophic levels happen with a few meters to a few dozen meters of the ocean surface. Primary energy input? The Sun.

Go down to the oceanic depths. What is the primary energy input for the vast majority of the bottom of the overwhelming amount of the world's oceans? Poop. Poop of the animals living above it. And the carcasses of things that didn't get eaten along the way down. Thermal? Only in the deep trenches, all isolated, all very few and fart between.

Large animal consume enormous amounts of food and chasing down prey isn't the most energy efficient of way of gather energy. That's why the largest animals of any sort are almost always "grazers." Largest shark? Not the Great White. Whale shark. After that? Nursing shark. Whale sharks and nursing sharks can weigh 40,000 to 80,000 lbs. Largest Great White? 5000 lbs. Largest animal on the planet? Blue whale.

So this giant undersea predator - what does it eat? How does it sustain its biomass? How would such a mechanism evolve in circumstances that, due to the amount of energy available, is prohibitive of fast speciation and specialization? 4 billion years just isn't enough time. Raw mineral availability to support eukaryotic life (aka, anything more complex than single celled bacteria) didn't happen until a billion or two years ago. Life really didn't start evolving except in the past 500 million years, not at the ocean's depths, but on its surface.

We've probably already seen the biggest thing to come up from the ocean depths - giant/colossal squid. Anything bigger will be along those lines. Or sedentary.

OTOH, 500 million years in the future? That's a much more interesting question.

I dub thee, ...colossal asshole. Santa and toothfairy exist to me dammit!

For thread purposes, I would love for there to be, like bigfoot, chupacarrera, non douchebag Torontonian, or an honest politician.

This thread should be titled "When Sherdog Mods Lose Their Minds"

I have an old picture of these Military men catching a similar creature with a really terrifying head/face that they caught in Southeast Asian. The urban legend was that all of the men who took a picture with that creature all ended up dying young.

I'm going to try and look for it at my moms house hopefully this weekend and post it here.
Regardless of urban Legends, if i saw something 'new and undiscovered' i wouldn't touch it. Some species emit toxins that kill/paralyze what not. I wouldn't take the chance.

Yes I do, mainly due to the discovery of giant squids. Most shows or documentaries i've seen regarding this subject allude to giant squid being hidden down in the deep.

Absolutely. The kraken is coming for you fucks

Yes of course they already discoverd a prehistoric fish named silicant correct me if its mispelled incorrectly

Only 5%of the oceans surface have been discoverd theres always a posibility.u need to be open minded about these kind of things

wait what? when did people not believe in giant squids?

like are we talking 1800's when these squids were wrecking pirate ships or recent times?
I think people were clued in when whalers in the 1800s would catch sperm whales with giant ass sucker scars on their hides, since those whales usually prey on squids.

But sometimes the squids won, so they must have been decent sized.

Definitely an alternate universe down there.

I think people were clued in when whalers in the 1800s would catch sperm whales with giant ass sucker scars on their hides, since those whales usually prey on squids.

But sometimes the squids won, so they must have been decent sized.
ofcourse the good old battle of giants.

5861368969_57a0512d5c_b.jpg

lol for some reason i thought you meant like recent 2000s when footage in japan was got of the squids and some of them were coming to shore. i was like 'NO WAY could people not realise they were real by then!!!'

<45><45><45>

You can't apply physics as we know it to creatures in the deepest parts of the ocean. Vents are just gateways, portals into another realm. Anyway, all the giant kaiju have been sleeping for millenia, hence the lack of food and energy not being a problem. They're hibernating, and going to be damn cranky when we wake them up from their nap. 300 million years without a snack will do that to you.

As many people have said already: probably a bunch of undiscovered species in the ocean. Probably a couple of reasonable size creatures. Probably no demonic Cthulu Godzilla monsters hidden in the Marianas trench. Breeding population and food supply becomes too much of an issue.

Of course there is the possibility that some large creates sustains itself and reproduces in unknown ways.

As many people have said already: probably a bunch of undiscovered species in the ocean. Probably a couple of reasonable size creatures. Probably no demonic Cthulu Godzilla monsters hidden in the Marianas trench. Breeding population and food supply becomes too much of an issue.

Of course there is the possibility that some large creates sustains itself and reproduces in unknown ways.
You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Well said.

We know less about about the depths of the Oceans than we do about what's beyond the edges of our flat Earth.

i would think there is shit down there but i don't know if it's to the level of cloverfield or godzilla. i am sure there may be huge ass squids or some savage megashark but there are still so much of the ocean left to explore.

Blue whale is the biggest thing in the ocean. There are giant squid and probably a few undiscovered species that grow large.

I just watched a shitty documentary about how it's within the realm of possibility that there are big ass undiscovered creatures deep down in the ocean in places man has yet to venture. I mean, it is true that only about 10% of the worlds oceans have been traversed, right?

I'm all for believing that there's some fuckin' Cloverfield monster way down in the Mariana Trench or something but if there really was something that big, or even say the size of those big ass sharks that used to exist. Megaladons I think, then they wouldn't be able to go unnoticed for that long.

So, what do you think? Are there deep sea monsters that we simply haven't seen yet thanks to how vast the worlds oceans are?

There's definitely plenty of undiscovered species of fish and other animals that are in the deeper areas of the ocean. This idea though, that we have no idea what's in most of our oceans is just crap. We've explored and traveled most all of the oceans, we just haven't officially checked every spot.

I think the idea that there's any hidden monsters in the deep ocean is absolutely silly. There's not going to be some insanely large prehistoric animal hiding out there. There will be smaller fish and animals that we will discover, but nothing really too large. All of those have been found.

Back