• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you think the Covid pandemic was exaggerated?

Do you think the Covid pandemic was exaggerated?

• Total voters
It was bad enough that my father came out of retirement in his eighties to assist in the ICU because they were so desperate for staff.

The people saying this was exaggerated are probably the same people who think climate change is a hoax.
Much respect to your father, especially given his age. I soppose one positive from that first year was seeing how many people would volunteer help selflessly. I get kind of cynical sometimes, so its nice to hear about these stories.

I have been a “good boy” and taken my three shots and I do believe the vaccines lessen the risks of being severely ill if infected. That can be readily seen by the differences between the average age for ICU-patients in Swedish hospitals that were vaccinated or not.

With that said, how they sold in the vaccines were highly problematic and may create a serious disbelief in the government if a new pandemic emerges:

- first we would get herd immunity through the vaccines.

- Then we would not spread the virus as much if we were vaccinated.

Yes, I know that there were mutations but they kept using the same selling points despite that.

I also find it despicable to make vaccination almost mandatory. In Sweden, they vilified the none-vaccinated, talked about that they should either be denied healthcare or at least pay for it.

Funny enough, I have never heard these talking heads say that gangbangers should be denied healthcare or pay for their own hospital care.

This is despite the fact that the constant shootings here have led to a lack of blood supplies at hospitals, especially during the pandemic.

If the governing bodies want the citizens to get vaccinated in the future, then they shouldn’t force people or ridicule those that are hesitant.

You’re confusing the government with the media, who were often behind on the facts, or misconstruing them altogether. The CDC told the public that the vaccines were preventing or significantly reducing transmission when they were (prior to Delta, Omicron there is overwhelming data that the vaccines did so). Even during Delta they did a good job at reducing infection. At no point did the CDC have data to the contrary and sell the public a lie. The CDC would at times wait for more than one study, to confirm results, and then inform the public about the findings. This was/is an evolving crisis and the CDC did EXACTLY what it should have — inform the public on an ongoing basis, including updating public health advisories when new data demonstrates a need to do so.

If you think that 6 million deaths is no big deal then sure.

You’re confusing the government with the media, who were often behind on the facts, or misconstruing them altogether. The CDC told the public that the vaccines were preventing or significantly reducing transmission when they were (prior to Delta, Omicron there is overwhelming data that the vaccines did so). Even during Delta they did a good job at reducing infection. At no point did the CDC have data to the contrary and sell the public a lie. The CDC would at times wait for more than one study, to confirm results, and then inform the public about the findings. This was/is an evolving crisis and the CDC did EXACTLY what it should have — inform the public on an ongoing basis, including updating public health advisories when new data demonstrates a need to do so.
I think you are confusing CDC with the Swedish Public Health Agency that I spoke about in my post.

I do however agree with you that media’s narrative often were a concoction of half-truths or baseless assumptions.

I don’t think that climate change is not happening. I also happen to believe that the measures taken to “curb” Covid were overboard and were for the benefit of the elite and detriment of the people.

The extremity of the measures was a function of the non compliance of the populace.

I'm sure that sounds pretty Orwellian but it isn't. The more people that are careful during a pandemic, the less the government has to mandate. I have all the sympathy in the world for owners of small businesses that were destroyed by this but none for anyone who complained about not being able to go to bars or concerts.

We live in a western democracy so this type of situation is always going to be problematic. Every single person is going to have their own idea of what's far and reasonable, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

The extremity of the measures was a function of the non compliance of the populace.

I'm sure that sounds pretty Orwellian but it isn't. The more people that are careful during a pandemic, the less the government has to mandate. I have all the sympathy in the world for owners of small businesses that were destroyed by this but none for anyone who complained about not being able to go to bars or concerts.

We live in a western democracy so this type of situation is always going to be problematic. Every single person is going to have their own idea of what's far and reasonable, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
If I can translate for the idiots out there.

“we only had to commit such harsh measures because some of you took your health into your own hands”

Man, I wish people like you weren’t in charge. Unfortunately for the world, they are.

Holy shit.

Ultimately, @Loiosh — the main difference between you and I is that you believe others(scientists, politicians, economists etc) are better suited to control your life than yourself. I believe I am best suited to control my life.

Boil it all down and that’s what we’re left with.

You don't really have to guess this. The thing you're looking for is "excess deaths" meaning there are projected models for how many people typically die under normal circumstances within X amount of time. You can further constrain it by demographics.

So wars produce "excess deaths" not only due to combat deaths, but due to a multitude of other factors like stress, or aceess to food, clean water, and healthcare. A country at war might have a million excess deaths despite only having 100,000 combat fatalities.

In the case of Covid The Economist published a study in May of 2021 that projected excess deaths of 7-13 million globally. So that's everyone that would have otherwise died, plus an additional 7-13 million in the first year of the pandemic.

20210515_FBC101-Artboard_1_copy_3.png

The response may have been handled poorly, unevenly and made very political, there were some who exaggerated the risks, and FAR more who downplayed the risk, but the threat was 100% real.

these predictions failed to account for the massive spike in deaths early 2020 from people abandoning long term care homes to let the elder starve to death alone in their own shit. This spike is then attributed to Covid and used to predict future Covid.

The initial surge wasn’t exaggerated. But the duration and restrictions were 100% exaggerated and destroyed millions of peoples livelihoods.

this is the way I see it as well. initially when we didn't know what COVID 19 was, or what it was capable of I understood the lock downs and quarantines,etc.

however, when it became evident just how non-fatal this disease was and that there were adequate treatments for it, the vaccine mandates, shut downs, destroying small businesses was definitely overkill.

and shit like this: For the unvaccinated, you’re looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families, and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm.

Complete and total fearmongering and bullshit.

I don’t think that climate change is not happening. I also happen to believe that the measures taken to “curb” Covid were overboard and were for the benefit of the elite and detriment of the people.

There's no middle ground with these people. If you question anything said by the "experts" and don't do everything they say even if it makes no sense (and when many of them don't follow their own rules), then you're a "denier" or "___phobic" etc.

Ultimately, @Loiosh — the main difference between you and I is that you believe others(scientists, politicians, economists etc) are better suited to control your life than yourself. I believe I am best suited to control my life.

Boil it all down and that’s what we’re left with.
Govern me harder baby...no lube.

How many is that out of millions dead?

CDC itself says 6-10% of the COVID death count in the US is "from" COVID and the other 90-94% was "with" COVID, but not from it.

So if they're claiming 800,000 deaths (not sure what their current number is), then using the CDC stat above only 80,000 people died FROM COVID in the US in two+ years. Jan 2020-present.

While conversely, 80,000 people have died FROM influenza in the US in a single six-month flu season (Oct-Apr) before---and 35,000-50,000 during a single 6-month flu season is in the "normal" range in the US.

Back