Do you think that using Rutten style Palm strikes is an underutilized technique from the guard?

I could be wrong, but I feel if someone's in your guard..you have very little room to play with, open fist provides a few more inches of room.

Always thought open hand strikes from guard bottom, were a way of shortening the chamber, and putting more power on strikes.

There was a fight just recently where the guy on the bottom was boxing the other guys ears. Was effective.

palm strikes were only utilized when closed fist strikes were not allowed.... :rolleyes:

Yup! It's weird we only see that from offensive fighters, since bjj guys are only thinking about defending on the ground. The gracie's used them a lot too and created nice openings on the mat.

Imo blocking is the most underutilized technique in all of mma.

Imo blocking is the most underutilized technique in all of mma.

I suppose its natural that MMA's defensive measures are difficult considering grappling is thrown into the mix. I think head movement and evasive dashing is much more important,and many of the sports very best fighters all had it to some degree...Fedor,GSP,Anderson,Penn etc.

Bas used palm strikes because he had to, not because he preferred them.

Correct, and I'm assuming it would be easier to throw with no gloves on as well, might be harder with gloves.

Fighters use it on their opponents ears when they're on the ground. Prob too difficult to connect flush with nose. Much rather use the energy to get back up
That ought to be illegal IMO, you can bust an eardrum easy doing that.
I also don't like foot stomps so take it however you want lol..

There is no reason to really use a palm strike unless you need to protect your hand. With the gloves and hand wraps on, you probably aren't going to punch hard enough from guard to really hurt your hand.

smacking the ears with an open palm can help set things up and make your opponent move, but investing a lot of energy into strikes from the bottom position is a waste.
finish.gif

That ought to be illegal IMO, you can bust an eardrum easy doing that.
I also don't like foot stomps so take it however you want lol..

its one of those "iffy" maneuvers. I think stomps are awesome..and dont care if they are barbaric,and i like to see fighters adapt to deal with them. Look at Yoshida,wanderlei tried to stomp him into a puddle but he obviously trained for that and almost subbed wanderlei.

I suppose its natural that MMA's defensive measures are difficult considering grappling is thrown into the mix. I think head movement and evasive dashing is much more important,and many of the sports very best fighters all had it to some degree...Fedor,GSP,Anderson,Penn etc.

That's true, not being there is always better than blocking.

Back