Do you think that using Rutten style Palm strikes is an underutilized technique from the guard?

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
I mean it does seem like that would be an easy way to bust up someones nose,if you cant create alot of distance in your opponents guard. Bas pretty much remains the only guy ive seen who used them frequently and effectivley. Obviously he was hampered by rules which forced him to do that,but he always maintained that there were some advantages to using them. they were difficult to defend against,because they are so unconventional. Anyone else ever think of this?

Could be, I just cant imagine a palm strike being more effective than a punch

A palm strike on the nose should hurt bad

Are they even allowed?

Bas hit with the heel of his palm and it was very effective and had a lot of force behind it.

american-ninja-nate-diaz-o.gif

Should have been a technique Brock should have learned since he had hulk hands.

Few use that technique so it's definitely underutilized. I think a more effective technique is elbows from guard. Conor used them well against Mendes, Kenflo versus Joe Lauzon I believe also. That cuts you up and makes the top guy reconsider their position in life. It's likely an even better idea to use your time getting up or working for a sub.

Fighters use it on their opponents ears when they're on the ground. Prob too difficult to connect flush with nose. Much rather use the energy to get back up

he didn't spend much time in guard. Why bother?
True. His six inch hammerfists were sufficient anyway. He was contempt with half guard and side control. Mount was taboo to the motherfucker.

Fighters use it on their opponents ears when they're on the ground. Prob too difficult to connect flush with nose. Much rather use the energy to get back up

but how much energy do you need to throw one? one hard one on the nose is probably all you need to bust it up and you dont need the distance of a punch.

True. His six inch hammerfists were sufficient anyway. He was contempt with half guard and side control. Mount was taboo to the motherfucker.

Y'know I was thinking that TS had having your opponent in guard position not being in someone's guard.

Whoops.

A lot of what BAS did was like MacGyver of MMA. He invented shit that would kill a man that looked at him wrong.

I like this. Palm strikes could he quite deadly in the guard. The heel of the palm is rock solid and the set up for the strike has more options. You could slide your hand across the chest, within the guard, and still generate some devastating force.

.....why is this not being utilised! Interesting post, as usual, TS

Back