Do you think that the average person...

snoop dogg***

Baby Heath goon$quad
Reaction score
is becoming dumber or smarter over time?
I personally feel that society is dumbing down due to the trash that's on TV & the radio. Also, it seems to me that less and less people strive for a better education.

For example, If you gave an average middle-class man an IQ test in the 1920s
and you gave a middle-class man today that same test, who do you think would score higher?

Dumber, by FAR.

Put a man from 1940 in a city with no idea how he got there and he'd be completely fine.

Put a man from today in a city with no access to electronics and he'd probably kill himself.

Bad example but men, and people in general, are far less savvy than before.

Ofcourse the human collective is getting smarter. stupid question, Next

agree completely with Rob. i recommend a book called amusing ourselves to death by neil postman. it kind of shows how the tv era basically fractured attention spans, increased the immediacy of gratification and generally dampens prefrontal cortex-type executive functioning.

now dont get me wrong tv is a great thing like many other of our technologies but in a lot of ways they serve as a crutch and as a substitute for use of one's own mental prowess. why think about issues when you can see how obama or romney looks in a 90-minute debate. why read in-depth about various events throughout the world when you can hear a distilled version in a 2-minute news segment.

Ofcourse the human collective is getting smarter. stupid question, Next

we are privy to new technologies and resources that vastly increase our awareness of certain events and occurrences and promote more interactions with others so there is definitely growth in that realm.

but i think in terms of individual intellectual functioning- we are going downhill.

yous guys is thtupid.

Sherdog are fool of jeanyesses

yous guys is thtupid.

Sherdog are fool of jeanyesses

lol sherdog redeems my faith in humanity on a daily basis...

well i won't go that far but i will say it almost always brings the funny. its rare that a day goes by that i check sherdog and don't laugh aloud at something.

I would say that the sum total of human knowledge is far greater and the average person has a much better access to information. However I would also say that peoples ability to reason and use logc has decayed. The availability of complex info is to some extent at fault because people are just more willing to let google remember things for them. We have to use our brains less to have the same material and the get weaker.

I would say that the sum total of human knowledge is far greater and the average person has a much better access to information. However I would also say that peoples ability to reason and use logc has decayed. The availability of complex info is to some extent at fault because people are just more willing to let google remember things for them. We have to use our brains less to have the same material and the get weaker.
The fuck does any of that even mean, bro?!

For example, If you gave an average middle-class man an IQ test in the 1920s
and you gave a middle-class man today that same test, who do you think would score higher?

Haha. Do you consider your self smart? 1920s had the lower IQ.

I won't deny that we have a shorter attention span tho.

Smarter.
Not debatable, though I scratch my head when I think about how times must have been 100 years ago.
Imagine a world where the average person is Akin or huckabee?

The average joe has always been ignorant. Today they've just received a tad more education.

The only reason why you think that people were smarter way back when is because the majority of anything that has survived antiquity is mostly academic.

Society is going to shit man. We ain't what we used to be.

""Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero 40BCE

"And Zeus will destroy this race of mortal men also when they come to have grey hair on the temples at their birth. The father will not agree with his children, nor the children with their father, nor guest with his host, nor comrade with comrade; nor will brother be dear to brother as aforetime. Men will dishonor their parents as they grow quickly old, and will carp at them, chiding them with bitter words, hard-hearted they, not knowing the fear of the gods. They will not repay their aged parents the cost of their nurture, for might shall be their right: and one man will sack another's city. There will be no favor for the man who keeps his oath or for the just or for the good; but rather men will praise the evil-doer and his violent dealing. Strength will be right, and reverence will cease to be; and the wicked will hurt the worthy man, speaking false words against him, and will swear an oath upon them. Envy, foul-mouthed, delighting in evil, with scowling face, will go along with wretched men one and all."
~ Hesiod 700BCE

"Although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. This is the mistake of people who are attached to past generations. They have no understanding of this point."
~ 18th Century

""The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
~ Plato

"How very important it is to bring about in the human mind the radical revolution. The crisis is a crisis in consciousness, a crisis that cannot anymore accept the old norms, the old patterns, the ancient traditions. Considering what the world is now with all the misery, conflict, destructive brutality, aggression and so on... man is still as he was, is still brutal, violent, aggressive, acquisitive, competitive and has built a society along these lines."
~ Krisnamurti 1920's

"The signs of corruption.--Consider the following signs of those states of society which are necessary from time to time and which are designated with the word "corruption." As soon as corruption sets in anywhere superstition becomes rank. and the previous common faith of a people becomes pale and powerless against it. For superstition is second-order free spirit: those who surrender to it choose certain forms and formulas that they find congenial and permit themselves some freedom of choice. Whoever is superstitious is always, compared with the religious human being, much more of a person; and a superstitious society is one in which there are many individuals and much delight in individuality...

Second, a society in which corruptions spreads is accused of exhaustion... But what is generally overlooked is that the ancient national energy and national passion that became gloriously visible in war and warlike games have now been transmuted into countless private passions and have merely become less visible. Indeed, in times of "corruption" the power and force of the national energies that are expended are probably greater than ever and the individual squanders them as lavishly as he could not have formerly when he was simply not yet rich enough. Thus it is precisely in times of "exhaustion" that tragedy runs through houses and streets, that great love and great hatred are born, and that the flame of knowledge flares up into the sky.

Third, it is usually said... that such times of corruption are gentler and that cruelty declines drastically, compared with the old, stronger age which was more given to faith. All I concede is that cruelty now becomes more refined and that its older forms henceforth offend the new taste; but the art of wounding and torturing others with words and looks reaches its supreme development...The men of corruption are witty and slanderous; they know of types of murder that require neither daggers nor assault; they know that whatever is said well is believed.

Fourth, when "morals decay" those men emerge whom one calls tyrants: they are the precursors and as it were the precocious harbingers of individuals... In these ages bribery and treason reach their peak, for the love of the newly discovered ego is much more powerful now than the love of the old, used-up "fatherland"... Individuals--being truly in-and-for-themselves-- care, as is well known, more for the moment than do their opposites, the herd men... The times of corruption are those when the apples fall from the tree: I mean the individuals, for they carry the seeds of the future and are the authors of the spiritual colonization and origin of new states and communities. Corruption is merely a nasty word for the autumn of a people."

~ Nietzsche 1800's

yeah dumb question, people are becoming measurably smarter, TV actually increases intelligence of the mass populous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

I swear most people just make shit up and refuse to actually look at scientific research and would rather back up their hair brained theories with anecdotes

Maybe we should go back to the moral 1970s/80s/90s with their high poverty and insane crime rates. Or perhaps the 1930s about the time of the great depression? Or even the 50s who had a similar crime rate to today and a whole lot of segregation, women all having a small role in society (OK, maybe this isn't bad :D) and they couldn't leave husbands they didn't love. Or perhaps the materialistic 1920s with alcohol prohibition and the rise of organized crime?

In the 1920's much of the working class worked ridiculous hours in shitty conditions. By default, they had to work harder and be more resilient in every aspect just to get through the day. This doesn't make them smarter, it just makes their personality/accomplishments more apparent. Today, many people can accomplish what their employer expects of them in just a few hours of an eight hour shift, through their fingertips. A lot of jobs don't require you to be worked to the bone to accomplish your tasks. Maybe technology is just making things easier, rather than making everyone stupid.

Back then and now, we have lazy, stupid people and smart, hard-working people. Different times same shit. The only difference is that the former were punished more severely for their lethargic incompetence back then (living on the streets), where as nowadays they live more comfortably (welfare, and the general increase in the quality of life (at least in the USA)).

Back