Do you think reach or natural power is the better physical gift?

LOL at anyone saying reach. Do you realize how hard it is to use a reach advantage effectively?

Natural power doesn't exist, so reach.

LOL at anyone saying reach. Do you realize how hard it is to use a reach advantage effectively?

Not hard at all. Back when me and my buddy knew nothing about fighting, we would spar and his reach would own me. Then I learned some footwork and boxing basics and he still knew nothing about fighting and our sparring matches were pretty even.

You've got to be significantly better trained than your opponent to overcome a reach disadvantage.

I'll take reach over power all day. Sure, maybe I won't knock you out, but I can hit you and you can't hit me.

Jon Jones, Tim Sylvia, Nick Diaz, none of these dudes needed KO power because they know how to use their reach.

Stefan Struve just used to fight stupidly. It doesn't mean reach isn't a great advantage.

Reach + granite chin = near sure decision
victory.

Power. Having the ability to put someone down hard is more useful than the ability to keep opponents at range.

Yes, because we all start equally in life in all things. Fucking brilliant.

I think he's saying power comes from technique and that technique can be learned. Which makes sense as long as you account for people who may have a better genetic gift for building muscle

Power isn't a "talent" or a "skill", it's a symptom of the combination of proper technique, strength, speed and bodyweight.

You're comparing something which can ONLY be obtained through training as opposed to a physical characteristic.

TS might as well have said... "would you rather be a natural front kicker or naturally tall?"

LOL at this thread.

WTF is "natural power" and what is with the guy who has reach and "natural power"? :icon_lol:

You can help build some power but you can't do shit to reach. So reach.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing knows that punching power is a natural gift. punchers are born not made. Technique does help somewhat but it's mainly natural; the hardest punchers typically have the worst technique because they never had to learn.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing knows that punching power is a natural gift. punchers are born not made. Technique does help somewhat but it's mainly natural; the hardest punchers typically have the worst technique because they never had to learn.

:rolleyes:

Punchers are made, not born

-Jack Dempsey

Fuck reach when it comes to MMA, real knockout power is far more useful. I mean really, we have UFC champs with AVERAGE reach for their height, the majority of males will actually have an inch of reach on the current WW champ.

Gus, who is meant to have "length to cancel out jones" is the same height and reach as my dad for Christ's sake, I can assure you I do not know anyone with UFC level power...

If reach was really such an advantage we wouldn't see this, hell even in boxing one of the highest rated HW's ever only has an inch of reach more than the average guy (and judging by tysons shoulder width his actual arms are probably average length at best.

In a sport like rowing (where I coach the second fastest school girl rowing crew in the country in their (the most competitive) age group, then you might have a point. Every top rower has a similar (lanky as shit) build, and if you don't have a good reach (and height) stats forget about it. MMA (and even boxing) not so.

Knocking out guys now and then is a good way to stay in the UFC even if you dont always win

:rolleyes:

Punchers are made, not born

-Jack Dempsey

I'm aware of the quote and you are taking it out of context. He wrote it in his book and he was talking about how you can improve. He could always hit hard and even said that he always thought it was just a natural ability until long after he retired, he wasn't denying the existence of natural ability.

in mma i'd say power, because even guys with reach advantages aren't that great at using them. And power gets you paid right away. reach seems like the blackjack of assets, something you have to nickel and dime for a while to win something, while power is a fucking slot machine, a jackpot

A lot of people have reach and can't take advantage of it like Struve, Then there are people with power who fight stupid trying to pray for a KO

When it comes down to it the best gift you could ask for is a brain to work with what you are good at

Back