Do you think Pettis will ever be champ again?

essie

sue me
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm really not sure how Sherdog feels about him. He's still pretty young and obviously can strike with anyone. Would you bet on him putting it together and going on a run or becoming a gatekeeper?

I just rewatched his fight against Melendez and I forgot Gilbert won the first round. Can't believe he submitted him.

hard to say of course but I'm definitely not counting him out

I dont think he CANT win it but i dont see him keeping it. He has too many holes in his game.

Conor will be champ of every division that Pettis can contend in.

Sherdog is typically good to Pettis.

He is susceptable to the takedown and has lost to grinding-wrestlers. He seems to be increasing his grappling skills which is good. I think he remains in the hunt - if he can remain healthy.

There's Khabib the monster wrestler, the "blue print is out", and fact LW is stacked so it takes a ton of wins and title shots are spread thinner, versus say the FW division where Aldo could easily legitimize a title shot with 1 or at most 2 wins. If Pettis beats Barboza, that almost gets him no where since Barboza is coming off a big loss, has no major wins, Pettis would still need 2 more wins against top guys. I think I'm saying no not that he can't win a title, it's that he may struggle to get a shot to do so.

It's unfortunate that he's now playing the "my opponents won't stand and bang" card/mindset. He has wins over great wrestlers in Benson and Melendez, he can beat wrestlers.

I think he left a lot of himself in the cage after the RDA beatdown. Add to that the fact that he still has his wrestling issue and its easy to see why he likely will not be champ again.

This fight against Barboza will also be really telling. Pettis is getting the striker he's been asking for so if he looks bad yet again despite the favorable matchup then it's safe to say that RDA beat the prime out of him.

If he works on his wrestling.

Last edited:
Shelftime Pettis? You have to fight to become a UFC champion.

no i think he's a little mentally broken now he lost 2 fights in a row .
Also he seems to blame him opponents fighting style rather then accepting the loss for what it is an using this lose to improve himself like fighter like GSP did when ever he lost .

He kind of went through a Machida honeymoon phase with his style. It wasn't long ago that there were threads like "Has Pettis ever been hit hard in a fight?" and someone would have to dig up the Bart Palaszewski match. He wasn't getting hit and his strikes were devastating. That combined with his ground game made me think he was the next Jon Jones level fighter...I may have been wrong on that one.

He was gojng down in weight to fight Aldo a few years back, If the guy could still make 145lbs He could become champ again. less big wrestler. I'd favor him over Edgar, Holloway, Mendes, Swanson & Stephens

Back