Do you think Mendes would take the Zabit fight?

Mendes was just on a 3 fight losing streak, 2 of those losses by knock out, and he pissed hot. Beating myles jury does not let him have yet another crack at top 3 guys. He needs to put more work in before we act like it's 2014 again.
Ehh..more ridiculous fights have been made with less narrative. Not impossible in this day in age, even though I agree.

Ehh..more ridiculous fights have been made with less narrative. Not impossible in this day in age, even though I agree.

Yeah, I know, I'm just wishing for some match making that makes a bit more sense. Also, the idea of Edgar in possibly yet another rematch isn't very exciting. How many rematches does that guy need to have?

I see nothing for Chad to gain by taking this fight. He is ranked 5 and Zabit is not top 10. Zabit needs a top 10 guy to break into the top 10, feed him Cub. Or Josh. Neither of them are gonna be title contenders but are solid gatekeepers.

latest

People really need to go back and watch that fight and actually analyze it. It's pretty masterful on Zabit's part. I think some fans (casuals) don't really understand what they're watching when they watch him. A few questions I'd ask them is A) whether he looks more vulnerable in Southpaw or Orthodox? B) Is he a better striker or grappler? C) Did you see him in trouble? D) Do you see in holes in his game? When they think about those four questions they'll really understand why people think he's so good.
He looks far more comfortable orthodox, his leg was getting pretty battered and anytime he went southpaw after a leg kick he went back as soon as davis showed any signs of offence
his grappling looks pretty slick and effective, last night he showed us his striking will always look slick but isn't always as effective
He wasn't in trouble but Davis was doing pretty damn good for a late replacement.
for hole in his game he struggles to check leg kicks, has good stand up defence but struggles to find his offence (although I loved how he tried using different styles to find his range).

I really enjoy watching Zabit fight and can appreciate the skill, huge fight iq and talent the guy has, he was clearly the better man last night but he has holes and i think the top 15 guys in the division can easily exploit as of right now.

I don't get these sort of comments...and they all started appearing after his fight last night...I don't get it.. He chose to do nothing the 1st round..literally nothing, yet still won the round with a late round takedown.. 2nd round starts and he takes the guy apart...taking him down repeatedly..then submits him like nothing...now all I keep seeing are guys saying how beatable he is..based off of that fight...he was barely hit in that fight and ended it in the 2nd round...i don't get it...
See the problem is you think he choose to do nothing.

Yeah, I know, I'm just wishing for some match making that makes a bit more sense. Also, the idea of Edgar in possibly yet another rematch isn't very exciting. How many rematches does that guy need to have?
Agreed. I wouldn't mind the fight honestly for those 2 though. I like Edgar and Mendes but it would be a little bit boring. Realistically should Zabit fight Mendes though? Not sure. He could do it. He is legit, but Mendes should fight at least top 10. Sucks no one ever wants to fight Zabit. I wouldn't mind seeing the fight happen. Would be some dumb matchmaking in some cases though. As per usual.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind the fight honestly for those 2 though. I like Edgar and Mendes but it would be a little bit boring. Realistically should Zabit fight Mendes though? Not sure. He could do it. He is legit, but Mendes should fight at least top 10. Sucks no one ever wants to fight Zabit. I wouldn't mind seeing the fight happen. Would be some dumb matchmaking in some cases though. As per usual.

Volkanovksi called out Mendes right after beating elkins around for a while. That's the fight to make in my opinion. Zabit should fight someone like Lamas, bektic, emmett, or even finally make that damn yair match.

He looks far more comfortable orthodox, his leg was getting pretty battered and anytime he went southpaw after a leg kick he went back as soon as davis showed any signs of offence
his grappling looks pretty slick and effective, last night he showed us his striking will always look slick but isn't always as effective
He wasn't in trouble but Davis was doing pretty damn good for a late replacement.
for hole in his game he struggles to check leg kicks, has good stand up defence but struggles to find his offence (although I loved how he tried using different styles to find his range).

I really enjoy watching Zabit fight and can appreciate the skill, huge fight iq and talent the guy has, he was clearly the better man last night but he has holes and i think the top 15 guys in the division can easily exploit as of right now.
Good post. Yeah not checking kicks looked fairly problematic for him but I feel like it's something he could easily remedy before his next fight. The constant switching of stances also seemed to be a ploy to disrupt Davis offensively more so than anything else. I agree with the striking looking the part but being ineffective, I think that's due to Zabit prioritizing defense and technique over power. I'm looking forward to his next fight and just hope he's healthy and has had a full camp beforehand because I truly believe we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Volkanovksi called out Mendes right after beating elkins around for a while. That's the fight to make in my opinion. Zabit should fight someone like Lamas, bektic, emmett, or even finally make that damn yair match.
Absolutely with Yair. That is a fight I would love to see make it to fight night. Almost forgot about that being the original matchup. Screw what I said, either Yair or Emmet would be nasty.

Doubt it

Unless he wants an easy payday I dunno

See the problem is you think he choose to do nothing.

considering his past performances...yes...I believe he did choose it..Also, consider this guy was like on 2 days notice, after numerous others passed on the fight. I feel he was gauging distance...A way to confirm if someone just used a round to figure out a guy, is by how they come out the next round...Zabit came out and immediately went after the guy...taking him down repeatedly...that's how I knew he chose to do nothing...yet, he still won the round...I do think the constant change of opponent or lack of opponent may have threw him a bit...

Zabit should move to bellator and make ufc champ money if they continue to not give him top 10 fights its none sense ida fuckin left a while ago the guy is only getting older ufc manages these guys piss poorly got an undefeated hungry zabit magical different fighter who could bring so many fans and money to the sport and there not utilizing this... Zabit vs Max every body would buy this over max vs chad vs aldo3 vs stephens yea we all want ortega first but hell id rather see ortega at lw to be honest i want ortega vs khabib.

This! Completely agree from start to finish. Well said.

latest

People really need to go back and watch that fight and actually analyze it. It's pretty masterful on Zabit's part. I think some fans (casuals) don't really understand what they're watching when they watch him. A few questions I'd ask them is A) whether he looks more vulnerable in Southpaw or Orthodox? B) Is he a better striker or grappler? C) Did you see him in trouble? D) Do you see in holes in his game? When they think about those four questions they'll really understand why people think he's so good.

The only critique I'd have of him is he seems to be less effective when guys pressure him alot and make him go back...he needs to prepare for this...cause guys are going to pressure him. but he switched stances constantly, which made his opponents little weak leg kicks even less effective.

considering his past performances...yes...I believe he did choose it..Also, consider this guy was like on 2 days notice, after numerous others passed on the fight. I feel he was gauging distance...A way to confirm if someone just used a round to figure out a guy, is by how they come out the next round...Zabit came out and immediately went after the guy...taking him down repeatedly...that's how I knew he chose to do nothing...yet, he still won the round...I do think the constant change of opponent or lack of opponent may have threw him a bit...

Im a fan of zabit but you have to be an irrational fanboy to come to that conclusion. His last fight was against a wrestler who was willing to brawl. This guy (legit forget his name) davis i think? Kept his distance and used his kicks to keep distance. He was fienting alot and zabit definitely without a doubt had an issue gauging him and timing him.. he did tag him a few times though.. the takedown late in the round is a sure sign of not being sure you did enough to win the round and an attempt to secure the 10-9. Second round zabit gameplan completely changed. He used his wrestling ot more instead of attempting to engage on the feet for the most part and easily finished the fight. To actually believe he chose to do nothing in round 1 is actually dumb as hell considering how aggressive and active he usually is. Zabit isnt comfortable striking with guys near his size and with actual technique. Thats what i learned saturday and people without fanboy goggles also saw it. I dont care if he says otherwise. If his plan was to use his grappling only he would have used it from the first bell.

To sum up we both acknowledge he did little in rd1 but you think it was by choice and i think davis fienting and kicks stiffled him. In round 2 his gameplan and approach completely changed. I think it was a tactical tweek. You dont spend a round gauging striking distance and timing your opponent to then resort to wrestling. Doesnt ad up.

Im a fan of zabit but you have to be an irrational fanboy to come to that conclusion. His last fight was against a wrestler who was willing to brawl. This guy (legit forget his name) davis i think? Kept his distance and used his kicks to keep distance. He was fienting alot and zabit definitely without a doubt had an issue gauging him and timing him.. he did tag him a few times though.. the takedown late in the round is a sure sign of not being sure you did enough to win the round and an attempt to secure the 10-9. Second round zabit gameplan completely changed. He used his wrestling ot more instead of attempting to engage on the feet for the most part and easily finished the fight. To actually believe he chose to do nothing in round 1 is actually dumb as hell considering how aggressive and active he usually is. Zabit isnt comfortable striking with guys near his size and with actual technique. Thats what i learned saturday and people without fanboy goggles also saw it. I dont care if he says otherwise. If his plan was to use his grappling only he would have used it from the first bell.

To sum up we both acknowledge he did little in rd1 but you think it was by choice and i think davis fienting and kicks stiffled him. In round 2 his gameplan and approach completely changed. I think it was a tactical tweek. You dont spend a round gauging striking distance and timing your opponent to then resort to wrestling. Doesnt ad up.

I have seen zabit fight some very good fighters outside of the ufc...some really good strikers...some good russian fighters...that's why I think what he did was on purpose...I think many things threw him off a bit...last minute opponent etc...but, even if what you say is true..which it might be..he still won the 1st round, even while not doing much...and stopped the guy in the 2nd...time for a much higher ranked guy.

Back