Do you think it is possible for drinking water to ever be gone?

TheOneAboveAll3

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am aware the earth is made up of nearly 2/3 rds of water but I am talking about drinking water. Is it possible that it can be gone, lets say for instance it dries up, it is mixed with harmful chemicals and so on. What do you guys think? Maybe in 100 years? 30?

in 100 years widespread desalination will be a thing.

barring some massive global warming thing and massive erosion, mountain springs are still gonna mountain spring

The High Sierras aren't going anywhere.......

we can basically filter things at the microscopic level now. They are ways to desalinate ocean water. Hell, there are ways to clean pee.

Wait, aren't we all drinking dinosaur piss and recycled water now?

Nah, we just do some crap to seawater and make it drinkable.

I hope not . If so I’d just drink rain ... like leave a bucket out when it rains and drink that . On days it didn’t rain I would drink from my reserve buckets ... would also fill a pool up with rain water because I like to swim

Bro most the earth is water. We have a salt problem not water.

I saw on NHK World smart Japanese invented a reverse osmosis suitcase sized device to turn dirty puddle water or river water into purified drinking water. I need to buy one just in case. It's called Rescue Aqua 911.

I am aware the earth is made up of nearly 2/3 rds of water

The idea that the earth is made up of so much water is completely incorrect... the earth has almost no water, only 0.05% of it's mass.

To put that amount of water in perspective:

If the earth was the size of a basketball, the depth of the ocean would be a small fraction of a millimeter, and all the water on earth would only fill up 1/30th of a teaspoon.

Perth-reverse-osmosis-desalination-plant-Australia.jpg

OZ already have quite a few Desalination plants

The idea that the earth is made up of so much water is completely incorrect... the earth has almost no water, only 0.05% of it's mass.

If the earth was the size of a basketball, the depth of the ocean would be a small fraction of a millimeter, and all the water on earth would only fill up 1/30th of a teaspoon.

Now calculate the total mass of the people on the planet, and let's see what the person mass to water mass is!

Wait, aren't we all drinking dinosaur piss and recycled water now?

Nah, we just do some crap to seawater and make it drinkable.

All water is recycled. All water.

I didnt mean the earth is made up of that but the visible earth is covered by 2/3 of water.

No. Parts of the world may turn into desert over time, other areas may have more water. That's my prediction.

Yes. But we'll be desalinating the polluted oceans for drinking water.

I am aware the earth is made up of nearly 2/3 rds of water but I am talking about drinking water. Is it possible that it can be gone, lets say for instance it dries up, it is mixed with harmful chemicals and so on. What do you guys think? Maybe in 100 years? 30?
Ok, the way it works is that all the water the planet has is in one of 3 states: Solid, liquid, or gas. Ocean water has salt, so you can't drink it, but you can remove the salt from the water. Rain water and river water is drinkable. The cycle of water starts in the ocean and moves to the clouds. It comes down as rain and flows into rivers, lakes, and back to the ocean. This cycle has been going since the time the earth was created. Nothing is added and nothing is taken away.

"The mass of water on Earth remains fairly constant over time but the partitioning of the water into the major reservoirs of ice, fresh water, saline water and atmospheric water is variable depending on a wide range of climatic variables."

Back