Do you roll better when you're hungry?

flipspeed

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I usually train at nights and around 3 hours before class i usually eat a good portion so i'm not hungry when i roll. But one day i decided to go to one of the morning class but forgot to wake up early so i could eat a good breakfast, so i just ended up eating 2 granola bars 30 mins before class started.

Although i was hungry, i seemed to perform alot better than my usual days. I usually end up rolling with the same guys and this time i was doing much better than usual against the same guys. Do you think this was just a coincidence? that i was havin a good day n they might be havin a not so good day.

Or do you feel you perform better on a not-so full stomach (like a granola bar or 2, but not a full breakfast lets say)

I find that I perform the best when I'm not hungry and I'm not full...this is a pain in the ass to achieve when you dont know exactly when you're competing .

I try to always roll on a relatively empty stomach, I think it depends more on what you eat. I know that if I eat light, easy to digest foods throughout the day, when I train at night I always seem to feel "lighter" and more dynamic compared to days I eat red meat or something heavy/greasy even if its at lunch time 6-7 hours before hand.

No, if I'm actually hungry my stomach gets too acidic and I get heartburn.

I used to be unable to roll on a full stomach but now I'm getting pretty good at it. I can't roll immediately after eating any kind of processed meat products though, like hamburgers or hot dogs, because I will taste it while I'm rolling.

The best thing for me to eat before BJJ is like some kind of chicken sandwich about an hour before class.

I have to eat before going to BJJ. Ultimately I would like to eat about 90 minutes before. It gives me enough time to make it to class with an empty stomach and energy.

If I eat right before class I have energy, but I tend it get real bad stomach cramps.

If I don't eat at all leading up to class I ended up with low blood sugar and I feel like shit. No strength, hard to focus, etc.

i eat a big meal 4 hours before class and 1 hour before class, i have a fruit. Rolling when 'hungry' is way better for me...

I actually like to train really full, eat 30 minutes before I show up to class. A few jumping jacks if I'm still feeling kinda bloated. It can be heavy greasy foods or not, doesn't make a difference.

I always do better on an empty stomach. If I eat lunch at noon I try to drink lots of fluids through out the day and that keeps me from feeling too hungry, then I go to class at 6:30 and as long as I am hydrated I feel fine. If I eat a meal before class I feel like crap. If I do get real hungry I will eat a small piece of fruit.

I eat an hour or two before rolling, sparing, and medium runs. anything earlier or later and it doesn't feel right. i won't have the energy. I'll eat a bunch for ling runs, anything over 8-10 miles and you need it.

I find that I perform the best when I'm not hungry and I'm not full...this is a pain in the ass to achieve when you dont know exactly when you're competing .

This.

I try not to eat within 2 hours of training. If I do, it's something light like fruit, and only because I'm on an empty stomach and need it. If I'm training on a totally empty stomach I run of energy. Full and I'll puke if I train hard, and at the very least I'll be sluggish.

This.

I try not to eat within 2 hours of training. If I do, it's something light like fruit, and only because I'm on an empty stomach and need it. If I'm training on a totally empty stomach I run of energy. Full and I'll puke if I train hard, and at the very least I'll be sluggish.

Is gassing and running out of energy the same thing? My big problem is gassing?

I always do better on an empty stomach. If I eat lunch at noon I try to drink lots of fluids through out the day and that keeps me from feeling too hungry, then I go to class at 6:30 and as long as I am hydrated I feel fine. If I eat a meal before class I feel like crap. If I do get real hungry I will eat a small piece of fruit.

Is gassing and running out of energy the same thing? My big problem is gassing?

Sort of different. Gassing is like when your cardio or muscular endurance gives out. I.e. you're not in good enough shape to keep going at a decent pace.

I'm talking about when you have an empty stomach and you just feel weaker because your body doesn't have the fuel it needs. They're two different feelings, but somewhat similar effects.

If you're gassing out you need to up your conditioning. More hard rolling, more consistent training, proper diet and rest, and maybe something on the outside.

I usually don't eat much of anything before BJJ. I'll have a big meal after.

Feel better that way.

Different strokes for different folks. Michael Phelps eats a 3000 calorie meal 30 minutes preceding his workouts... I suppose the importance of calories is a function of how many you are burning up with your workouts/intensity and if you need a ton of calories you are going to be eating pretty often.

I try not to ever eat on an empty stomach. Do not want to burn muscle.

I prefer to roll on an empty stomach. I feel more flexible(not stuffed with food).

doing any kind of strenuous cardio when on an empty stomach is retarded

your muscles will go catabolic. the fuel has to come from somewhere - if there's none in your stomach, your muscles will be eaten for the protein.

eating 1-2 hours before is the way to go. you can't eat right before class for obvious reasons, just like you can't just not eat before class.

Yeah I don't like to eat any closer than 3 hours before roling.

Back