Do you roll better when you're hungry?

I can't roll hungry ... I have zero stamina and strength. I don't hit up the buffet before I train, but I do eat something of substance ... a banana, whole wheat bagel or toast with peanut butter, perhaps a granola bar. Something light with protein is preferred an hour to 30 mins before I train, but that's just me.

There's a sweet spot for me between not being hungry and being hungry. If I'm all like "gee whiz I could use some food right now but I don't know what", I roll my best. If I'm hungry, I don't gas, but I feel completely weak.

I'll have a meal 2-3 hours before class, otherwise I feel like shit and don't do well. When I get home I'll have some chocolate milk and something before I go to bed (I only really train at night).

I am by no means an expert, but TS's better performance may not be so much a function of the timing of his meal but rather what he ate prior to his workout. The oats in granola are a complex carb, which probably gave TS long-lasting energy throughout his rolling session. Thirty minutes beforehand was probably also close to optimal for the body to process it and have it ready to go.

Again, I defer to someone with a better understanding of the science, but I thought it might be important (several days later, even) to mention that this may not be a timing issue at all.

You most likely felt like you rolled better because you are used to rolling at night. Your body is the most charged and ready to go first thing in the morning, so this is probably why you felt better.

You probably would have felt even better if you had had a solid breakfast about an hour before class. There are two things you need for recovery, sleep and food. Eating a good breakfast and training in the morning capitalizes on both of these.

ill have an apple or banana on the way to class if i can

i woke up late for no-gi morning class today so just had a coffee before going and found i trained and rolled really well.

Back