Do you return your outdated credit cards?

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I received a replacement for a soon to expire metal chipped credit card and it seems odd.

First it doesn't have a sticker with a number to call to notify the issuer that I received the card which has been common on replacement cards.

Second, there is no signature strip on the back like cards have had for years and the paperwork that came with it didn't have any instructions to sign the card or to notify the issuer that I have received it.

Third, instead of instructing me to destroy the old card, it contained an envelope to return the card which expires at the end of December to the company for secure disposal. I haven't had any experience with that before. I checked online and it appears to be the recommended way to dispose of them now.

I began to wonder if the return of the old card has become the notification that the new card was received. It seems like somebody could just send out random cards and have an envelope to return the old cards as a way for scammers to obtain credit cards that haven't yet expired.

The new card has the same account number so a scammer would need to know that and the address that goes with it. The new card has a different three digit verification number to differentiate it from the other card so it seems legitimate. Still, I don't like the idea of sending the old card back by mail. There isn't a branch of the bank near me to return the card. I can destroy the old card by melting it but I should make certain the new one works first.

I will call the issuer when they open.

I did when I used to go to the bank to collect the new one in person, but not anymore. I just toss them somewhere.

Now that I think about it, I don't think i have ever received a return envelope since I've been getting my cards through mail.

Last edited:
Prob just a service offered by the card company. I would
Just destroy the thing myself. After December it’s not like it should matter, right?

That whole process sounds completely wack. Then again, if the numbers and details match your current card and its just an expiry date change... They've already got your deets so they don't even need the scam

There isn't a # or website to activate the card?

Hell nah. Never heard of that. I just cut it up.

I cut it into the smallest pieces imaginable and then I cut it some more.

My old card goes in the shredder. I've never had a bank tell me to send the old card back. Is this some small bank or company card?

This . . .

The card is metal...
did-you-read-it-calvin-jordan.gif

The card is metal...
did-you-read-it-calvin-jordan.gif
I had a metal Amazon prime card and I don't remember getting an envelope to return it. I tried to cut it up but it was impossible, even with some hefty metal shears.

Maybe they got complaints about it so this is their solution. It is pretty stupid to make a credit card indestructible. Wish they just stopped trying to be cool and used plastic like everyone else.

My old card goes in the shredder. I've never had a bank tell me to send the old card back. Is this some small bank or company card?

The old card has a warning on it, "Contains metal, do not shred". I thought it was just the chip in the card but maybe it is a piece of metal. It is heavier than most cards but is the same thickness. Light doesn't pass through when held up to a bright light. The new card doesn't have that warning.

I had never had a bank say to return the expired card either and for at least the last twenty years, every new card has had a tag with a phone number to call when the card was received. I've always burned the old cards.

Some more research into metal cards seems to indicate that they are only issued to those with very good credit ratings and usually carry an annual fee. The Amazon Prime card is apparently included in the Amazon Prime package a no fee. I was never asked if I wanted a metal card when this card was replaced the last time about 4 years ago.

This is an Amazon Prime card issued by Chase bank so not a small bank or company.

With US$3.9 trillion in total assets, JPMorgan Chase is the fifth-largest bank in the world by assets. The firm operates the largest investment bank in the world by revenue. It occupies 24th place on the Fortune 500 list of the largest U.S. corporations by revenue.

I called Chase this morning. I was told that the return envelope to dispose of the cards is just a courtesy they offer to those who may not have another method. They only do it for the metal cards.

Back