Do you respect Usman more now that he went up weight to fight a killer like Chimaev?

Do you respect Usman more now that he went up weight to fight a killer like Chimaev?

• Total voters
The weight thing really doesn't mean anything to me, but that he'd jump in late notice against a dangerous opponent definitely is worthy of respect.

I've always respected the hell out of Usman, and I hope he smeshes Chimaev.

I only rooted for Leon to beat Kamaru because he was getting somewhat close to being able to contest GSP's WW GOAT claim, and this couldn't be allowed to happen. <WhitmanDefeat>

Now that Leon beat him twice in a row there is zero chance of Usman ever threatening St-Pierre's accomplishments again, so of course I'll root for him with all my might <RomeroSalute>

Props to Khamzat for accepting a short notice fight against a much better fighter than he was originally slated against
Most likely. OTOH, Usman is 36 and we've seen a lot of fighters rapidly decline around that age (especially WWs like Woodley, Lawler, Koscheck, etc.) I'm not sure how bad his knees are or how much he's declined, but he certainly didn't look as good against Edwards as the first two fights (he was clearly winning the 2nd fight before getting finished). Costa is very inconsistent, but is a huge MW who was preparing for this fight, not a 10-day notice fighter who had to travel halfway across the world.

So again, I think you're probably right, but I'm also not sure how prepared Usman is and in what stage of decline he's in.

Absolutely.

Usman went 10 years undefeated and was winning the 2nd Leon fight until the head kick. Then, he lost a competitive decision fight to Leon. Before those losses, people were starting to consider him the WW GOAT.

Do you think GSP would take a 2 weeks notice fight and move up in weight? He'd be terrified and turn it down immediately.

Usman is taking one of the hardest fights possible on 2 weeks notice and his legacy is on the line. I'd say it's even more ballsy than Volk taking on Islam. Volk already lost to Islam and he already has a built in excuse that he didn't have time to prepare. He's still champion if he loses. Usman's legacy and future is on the line here and is fighting a guy that would steamroll him.

Absolutely.

Usman went 10 years undefeated and was winning the 2nd Leon fight until the head kick. Then, he lost a competitive decision fight to Leon. Before those losses, people were starting to consider him the WW GOAT.

Do you think GSP would take a 2 weeks notice fight and move up in weight? He'd be terrified and turn it down immediately.

Usman is taking one of the hardest fights possible on 2 weeks notice and his legacy is on the line. I'd say it's even more ballsy than Volk taking on Islam. Volk already lost to Islam and he already has a built in excuse that he didn't have time to prepare. He's still champion if he loses. Usman's legacy and future is on the line here and is fighting a guy that would steamroll him.

Well said.

Back