Do you regularly watch any old school UFC?

Tedarch82

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love watching my old UFC and Pride events on DVD.I have a soft spot for UFC 2-10 and have watched them over and over.Do you guys rewatch full cards or just pick certain fights?Do you have a cut off point for events you rewatch, or do you enjoy the old UFC events?thanks

For some reason I like the head butts, hairpulling and whatever was allowed back then. I can't find too many of these fights online though.

I watch a lot of old JMMA...
Pride, Rings, etc...

Anything with Mach and Hansen.
I love watching the old fighters, that
when they're performing, you can
hardly discern any vast differences
in the skill sets of the elite of today...

It's one thing that still fascinates
me just as equally as watching a real
exciting fight of today. If you haven't
seen Hansen vs Edwards..
I recommend it highly.

Sure occasionally.

I like that FightPass has full old PPVs. Watching some of the old UFCs is like opening a time capsule.

3 fights in one night were the best. Had to go in and finish the guy quick and get the hell out to rest for the next guy.

Now some guys can't even fight 3 times in a year.

Only when it is on Combate.

Some times they show UFC 17, 12 and some Belfort fights

You tube has a lot of the old fights on it,you can pick up the DVDs dirt cheap too,I have managed to get a full set for less than £600

Sometimes , but when I am feeling nostalgic I generally stick to Pride.

Regularly? No.
Occasionally? Yes.

I've rewatched from UFC 1-65ish once with the events playing all day while I was up for a while. There are a lot of fun moments but admittedly there is a lot of sludge as well.

Rewatching PRIDE is a lot more fun IMO but the UFC definitely had many more great fights (ie entertaining and holding context). PRIDE just wasn't around as long, didn't have as many events, and it never quite had the roster (outside of a top heavy middleweight and heavy division).

Dunno why I turned my response into a UFC v PRIDE agenda but yeah I guess I'm just nostalgic for the old PRIDE but also see it in a different context when rewatching.

I posted this earlier:

It's so strange to be a fan of MMA in an era where the old school UFCs can no longer be assumed to constitute shared knowledge. Maybe it's just Randleman dying and my nostalgia kicking into overdrive, but it's sad to think how many fans are watching Conor and Ronda who haven't seen all the classic fights from The Beast, The Predator, The Hammer, The Monster, etc. But they're all out there, waiting to be discovered.

In answer to the question: HELL YES! I've always had a certain historical bent with movies where I enjoy watching the emergence and evolution of what I love. The same is true of my relationship with MMA. I love watching the early years, watching the sport evolve and the fighters evolve with it. The energy is palpable as all of these guys got together for no reason other than their love of fighting, their love of technique and competition, and in the process they created the greatest sport of all-time.

How people can be fans of MMA today without caring about the early days is something I'll never understand, and the UFC's short-term memory and the shitty fashion with which they treat their legends certainly doesn't help the situation.

I'm actually currently rewatching the dark era of the ufc, 14-43 or so, after picking up the dvds for my collection. (Which apparently has come to an end since they've stopped making dvds because of fight pass.)

I'm actually currently rewatching the dark era of the ufc, 14-43 or so, after picking up the dvds for my collection. (Which apparently has come to an end since they've stopped making dvds because of fight pass.)

The "dark ages" was technically from 1997-2001, which is UFC 13 (the first time the UFC was banned from PPV) to UFC 31 (when the UFC was purchased by Zuffa and got back onto PPV). Some of the best fights of all-time happened in that stretch, but UFC 31 was the perfect showcase for the new era of MMA as that's still IMO the GOAT card in terms of both the caliber of fighters on it and the caliber of fights they put on.

all the time, i have lots of spare time at work

Damn right. That was half of my reasoning for getting fight pass.

I watch ALL MMA wether it was a week ago, or 15 years ago. End of story.

The "dark ages" was technically from 1997-2001, which is UFC 13 (the first time the UFC was banned from PPV) to UFC 31 (when the UFC was purchased by Zuffa and got back onto PPV). Some of the best fights of all-time happened in that stretch, but UFC 31 was the perfect showcase for the new era of MMA as that's still IMO the GOAT card in terms of both the caliber of fighters on it and the caliber of fights they put on.
Yeah, I didn't know the actual stretch the "dark ages" was considered to be. I just checked & the dvds I got stretch from 11-37. I've seen them all before but it's nice to have a physical copy & watch them all over again. I enjoy it at least.

I don't know what you consider old schoolbut iI own a bunch of UFC's between 40 and 80 and I like to throw those on when I'm doing laundry and I will watch the whole event because it just feels incomplete otherwise...but yesterday was a 2004 pride grand prix when I was folding clothes :)

Rewatching all the Pride at Pride 10 right now damn Kerr used to be a beast

Yes, I also enjoy giving my UFC and Pride FC DVDs another spin.

I love watching MMA fights from the beginning of the sport until now.

i had all pride events and some old ufc archived on dvd. i threw it all on the trash, its not worth keepin.

Back