Do you read much fantasy/sci fi?

Mostly science fiction besides non-fiction. Not a big fantasy guy, but I recently read the First Law trilogy, which was pretty great.

Bigger fan of Hard Science Fiction, or books a little more challenging due to lots of tech explanations, and a less character work. Usually.

I used to , havent read any in last 4/5 years. I have sanderson latest book waiting on shelf :) . Some good one's I rate are Malazn book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson, The Black company by Glen Cook. A song of Ice and fire- first three books, after that its downhill. Scott Lynch- Lies of Locke Lamora and subsequent books are very decent.

Hello Rudd,

Try this one The Blacktongue Thief by
Christopher Buehlman

and thank you @tomjones I think you were quoting one of my mount rushmore posts that I reposted in the Purple Storm book thread.

Oh and i hear People like the Hail Mary Project by the guy who wrote the Martian Andy Weir, but I have yet to read it.

Cheers,

Toasty $ Rabbit

Fantasy is my fav genre, but i don't read as much as i'd like to.

Recently my fav has also been brandon sanderson, stormlight archive is great i'm waiting for the next one.

I also enjoyed the kingkiller chronicles but that stopped at book 2 and we may never get the final book. So I can't recommend it.

Fantasy is my favorite genre. Love sanderson. Stormlight is kinda fizzling for me.

Im still waiting on the doors of stone from rothfuss. Started the wheel of time recently

I just finished catching up to the storm light archive by Brandon Sanderson

Awesome book

Also read the initial red rising series last month and that’s awesome as well

Any other newer ish stuff?
Just finished reading the Three Body Problem trilogy. Great series, and I gotta say the first book is the weakest entry. Between the whole Waifu stuff in the second book and the Galaxy era in the third book is some of the most captivating story written

Just started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and the book is quite different than the movie

Just finished reading the Three Body Problem trilogy. Great series, and I gotta say the first book is the weakest entry. Between the whole Waifu stuff in the second book and the Galaxy era in the third book is some of the most captivating story written

Just started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and the book is quite different than the movie
First book was awful imo. It was about as moving to read as an instruction manual. Been told the same about the series getting better, but I barely got through that first one. There is too much I wish to read to give series second chances.

PKD is always a treat. He was a crazy dude

I mostly just read debut authors and self published authors. I'm not big into the monoculture of literature.

Not that I read a lot. Maybe 10-12 books a year. More thrillers / crime than fantasy, but a lot of fantasy.

First book was awful imo. It was about as moving to read as an instruction manual. Been told the same about the series getting better, but I barely got through that first one. There is too much I wish to read to give series second chances.

PKD is always a treat. He was a crazy dude
I actually liked the first one. Listened to it on audible but I couldn’t listen to the second books reader so I skipped it.

Is it worth it?

Hello Rudd,

Try this one The Blacktongue Thief by
Christopher Buehlman

and thank you @tomjones I think you were quoting one of my mount rushmore posts that I reposted in the Purple Storm book thread.

Oh and i hear People like the Hail Mary Project by the guy who wrote the Martian Andy Weir, but I have yet to read it.

Cheers,

Toasty $ Rabbit
I’ll second this. Blacktongue thief was really, really good. The only thing that sucks is the second book has no projected release date.

That author usually writes horror novels with fantasy settings. He wrote one that I really liked as well, Between Two Fires. It takes place in medieval Frans during the black plague. But in it the plaque was unleashed by Lucifer. A fallen Crusader comes across a messiah figure and has to protect her in her journey that will end the plague. It’s really good with legitimately scary scenes. Low fantasy setting with monsters and stuff.

Last edited:
I actually liked the first one. Listened to it on audible but I couldn’t listen to the second books reader so I skipped it.

Is it worth it?
I don’t know. I never went further than the first. I listened to it also.

Edit. I do mostly READ books, but I listen to more and more nowadays because of convenience, so I use read for both. Just so it’s clear.

Fantasy is my favorite genre. Love sanderson. Stormlight is kinda fizzling for me.

Im still waiting on the doors of stone from rothfuss. Started the wheel of time recently
Yeaaah I really like Stormlight but I can’t help but feel like it was more influenced than Dragon Ball Z than anything else, with characters discovering new powers and exploding dramatically into powerful new forms lol

Yeaaah I really like Stormlight but I can’t help but feel like it was more influenced than Dragon Ball Z than anything else, with characters discovering new powers and exploding dramatically into powerful new forms lol
Oh man, I got the first book and was waiting for more of the series to release before starting, since everyone seems to rave about it. I don’t like this information you just posted lol. It’s the anime version of deus ex machina… That sucks.

I enjoy the classic sci fi novels. Some of my favs:

Heinlein - Stranger In A Strange Land, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers
Phillip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Nivens/Pournell - The Mote In Gods Eye, The Gripping Hand
Card - Enders Game (series, plus Shadow Series)

I have a hard time with most modern sci fi, it all feels incredibly derivative. Three Body Problem was engaging though.

I think the first two storm light books were great

Once they all start going super sayain it’s not as interesting and the last book was a slog but I still overall liked it

I used to read fiction when I was younger. Now I find myself reading non fiction health books often.

We have people saying their bodies are the same as 10 years ago but cloths are getting smaller,

We have men over 50 year old being stronger and better looking than ever.

And we even have a member that is giving creampies to his 'girlfriend'. A romance that all started with her having accessible pants in his car at a Walmart parking lot, while he is living with his landlord.

What more fantasy can we read?

Back