do you practice triangles on both sides

Are we talking about practicing the same move on both sides or different moves for different sides? The two are distinct approaches. What you are describing is the second.

Someone in a boxing gym will typically throw 100% of their jabs with one hand and 100% of their crosses with another. It is extremely rare to switch stances halfway through and balance the two. Jabs and crosses are two entirely different moves with entirely different mechanics used for entirely different purposes. They complement each other well, but they are in no way the same move.

You see this in other forms of grappling as well. In Judo you typically grip with a certain handedness. If you face someone with an opposite grip, you don't typically switch your grip to the mirror version to use the same set of moves on the other side. You typically train a different set of moves for each side.

The BJJ equivalent of this would not be training the triangle on both sides. It would rather be something like only training the triangle with the opponent's right arm exposed. If the opponent exposes the other side, you would just attack with an omoplata instead.

I generally encourage different moves for different sides. It creates more variety in the game with less effort. Also each individual attack tends to be sharper.

If you pass to my right, I have one strong sweep. If you pass to my left, I have a different sweep that is also strong. This does not create a weak side that the opponent can exploit, but it's also quite a bit different than just training the same sweep on both sides equally.

Agreed. I drill both sides (probably closer to 75-25 though) but my preference is to have a different set/combination of attacks on the other side. I believe Marcelo Garcia has a similar approach

So much truth ... you will never be nearly as good switch, but it’s a marvelous thing to have in your arsenal.

opens up so much more of the trick repertoire, makes it much easier to bail out of shitty situations, and is always preferential to falling down

No need to, when I get into street fights, I always tell my opponents to go on the other side since I only know how to do attacks from the right side

Back