Do you like roguelike game mechanics

Satsui Ryu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This seems to be the hot game mechanic in the indie game scene these days. Basically it is when parts of a game are randomly generated. So if you are playing a RPG the layout of the dungeons are random or in a shooter enemy placement or their attacks are random. I get this is an easy way to create replay value, but man does it sound absolutely frustrating especially for someone like me who has very limited time for gaming . Anyone like this and what is the appeal?

Yes. I do.

Deadcells.
Skul
Morta
Gungeon
Hades
Curse of the D/G
Dreamscaper

So many amazing games. I can’t even name half I’ve played. The progression is fun and hooks you.

if you haven’t played Skul.. goddamn do it. Such a fun sidescroll challenge.

I absolutely loved Hades. Probably like Top 20 favorite game ever for me.

Don't like the ones that are too punishing and barely give you any progression.

Yes, it has become one of my favorite genres. They are what I all gamey video games. Some video games today have turned too much into movies which I love every now and then but I mainly play video games because I like gameplay. The genre has a tendency to have faster paced gameplay which I'm attracted to.

Love 'em.

Some do it better than others, though. If you're gonna try them out, the best of the best are probably "Hades", "Dead Cells", "Enter The Gungeon", and "Rogue Legacy".

They're actually perfect games for people with limited time, since you can just boot them up and have a run or two.

I don't like the fact that your progress resets. The randomly generated levels is kind of a must have or otherwise I don't think I could do it. Every time I got killed in Returnal I would get slightly annoyed at having to start over but the level lay out and things I was finding would be different enough to make the experience feel new.

I liked Returnal a lot. Overall though I would have just preferred if the game had proper check points and saves. At least halfway through the levels if they want to be stingy about it.

Yes. I do.

Deadcells.
Skul
Morta
Gungeon
Hades
Curse of the D/G
Dreamscaper

So many amazing games. I can’t even name half I’ve played. The progression is fun and hooks you.

if you haven’t played Skul.. goddamn do it. Such a fun sidescroll challenge.

I love roguelikes, never heard of Skul i'll look it up.

Edit : Just watched a trailer, this looks epic. Gonna get it as soon as i'm done with Deaths Door.

Thanks. <Moves>

Last edited:
I suppose i dont really like them because i always end up playing another game that does have saves.

FTL and Risk of Rain were the only games i kept coming back to but the others i eventually quit.

I love roguelikes/lites. They remind me of the old NES days where you had to learn the levels/enemies and perform your best or risk getting a game over.

Some of my favorites are:
20XX (essentially a Megaman clone with rogue elements)
Binding of Isaac
Curse of the Dead Gods
Dead Cells
Hades
Risk of Rain 2
Rogue Legacy

I don't mind them. In one game called Dungeon Hack I find it the best to play when permadeath is enabled. Great old school dungeon crawler with randomized maps and you can choose how random they can be. You can choose how many floors, invisible wall percentage, etc.

I suppose i dont really like them because i always end up playing another game that does have saves.

FTL and Risk of Rain were the only games i kept coming back to but the others i eventually quit.
Wow. Didn't know they don't have save functions. I just knew about the randomness. Even arcade style games that I play I need some kind of save or stage select feature.

Wow. Didn't know they don't have save functions.

Nah, they do. In a rogue-lite, it saves all your upgrades, which is the key feature of the loop of the game. You do run after run, and get experience points in one form or another, to spend on permanent stat boosts and perks to make each run a little easier, much like building up a character in an RPG. In rogue-likes, it saves all your item/weapon unlocks that can show up in any given run. In both, you can usually save in the middle of any given run, but it's rarely necessary given that most runs are 15 minutes to an hour long.

You should just play one to see what they're all about.

I don't like the fact that your progress resets. The randomly generated levels is kind of a must have or otherwise I don't think I could do it. Every time I got killed in Returnal I would get slightly annoyed at having to start over but the level lay out and things I was finding would be different enough to make the experience feel new.

I liked Returnal a lot. Overall though I would have just preferred if the game had proper check points and saves. At least halfway through the levels if they want to be stingy about it.

That would not be rogue-like and it would have made the game waaaayyy too easy.

it has a checkpoint midway through the game so you can choose to play the first half of the game or 2nd half.

Returnal is as perfect as it gets IMO…

Back