Do you like roguelike game mechanics

I wasnt aware of this type of thing until Dead Cells..this game in particular is extremely addictive,and its a new way to play games,so its kind of fresh and innovative but also super old school at the same time. I cant say ive played other games like this,but Dead cells is fucking cool. If its as good as that,then I support this time of gaming.

Last edited:
The thing is,dead cells plays alot like castlevania Sotn would if it was released today,fresh and new. Much MUCH better than Bloodstained,which was very dissapointing to me.

So I play this thing,simply because its very fun. But because the nature of it,how you can get through the game in one sitting,but if you die,you go all the way to the beggining..

Oddly enough,once I got accustomed to it,it made me play the game more and more,to see how much better I could get,and it encourages experimenting with different weapons and routes...

I love this fucking game.

Anyone like this and what is the appeal?

Yeah, and I wish that type of mechanics were more common.

As you said, it creates replay value, but I would say it like 'Woah, haven't seen this before" after playing it for the 5th time.

As opposed to your character psychically knowing everything about the area like he's played through it before like Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow.

I love roguelikes, never heard of Skul i'll look it up.

Edit : Just watched a trailer, this looks epic. Gonna get it as soon as i'm done with Deaths Door.

Thanks. <Moves>
Check out: Children of Morta as well. Fantastic game.

That would not be rogue-like and it would have made the game waaaayyy too easy.

it has a checkpoint midway through the game so you can choose to play the first half of the game or 2nd half.

Returnal is as perfect as it gets IMO…

It would have made the game easier but I disagree that it would have been way to easy. It would have been no different than any other AAA game as far as difficulty. Actually it still would have been more difficult than something like uncharted on normal playthrough.

It would have to be longer though but that would have been easy enough to do. Either way it was an awesome game. Just one change I would have made if it was up to me.

That would not be rogue-like and it would have made the game waaaayyy too easy.

it has a checkpoint midway through the game so you can choose to play the first half of the game or 2nd half.

Returnal is as perfect as it gets IMO…

I love Returnal I really hope they release a proper dlc for it.

Yes they are my favorite Enter The Gungeon and The Binding of Isaac are the goat games in this category

I don't personally. I like patterns and knowing X is going to be over here.

I do like Rogue elements though. The game Sundered plays like a Metroidvania game but when you die, you go back to a hub world where you can spend your points you've accumulated on that run for new powers. So death actually makes you stronger. That was a cool concept.

Randomly generated levels that really aren't changing anything but order and enemy placement though? Nah...

Nah, they do. In a rogue-lite, it saves all your upgrades, which is the key feature of the loop of the game. You do run after run, and get experience points in one form or another, to spend on permanent stat boosts and perks to make each run a little easier, much like building up a character in an RPG. In rogue-likes, it saves all your item/weapon unlocks that can show up in any given run. In both, you can usually save in the middle of any given run, but it's rarely necessary given that most runs are 15 minutes to an hour long.

You should just play one to see what they're all about.
There is one game I was looking into getting, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It's like an isometric Diablo looking game set in fuedal Japan. If I can remember the name I may pick it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back