Do You Like Point Fighters?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know finishes are exciting, but what about point fighting?

Do you enjoy it?

Whether it is striking or grappling, points are points and it wins rounds.

Guys like: Kamaru Usman, Wonderboy (as of late), Tyron Woodley (as of late), Jose Aldo, Justin Scoggins, Ray Borg, Demetrious Johnson (to an extent), Henry Cejudo etc. What are your opinions?

Do you think the lack of finishes from them makes them a little less exciting knowing that they are fighting for points, rather than going for finishes?

how could I forget the best point fighter (or second best, after GSP from when he got his belt back)...

...Dominick Cruz.

Thoughts?

Some are nice to watch, some aren't.

Guys like Benson Henderson or Renato Moicano are fun-to-watch point-fighters, some (like Wonderboy) aren't.

You don't get paid by the hour, you should finish it ASAP.

Sherbros fucking finish fights.

If they’re working.

Chael was a point fighter and I quite enjoy his fights

I like them if there is action in their fights and they aren't just stalling. Wonderboy's fights before the Woodley encounters were pretty exciting, for instance.

No. If the fighters goal is to run the clock down and win because time ran out then fuck Em. However if a fighter is trying to finish the opponent but can't then That is different.

I love watching defensive fighters pick apart aggressive fighters

It’s the reason why Anderson and Machida are amongst my favs, and I love to watch Floyd Mayweather fights

I think point fighters often show a sense of maturity that you won’t see in someone who hunts for the KO non stop, although that’s not to say a finish isn’t more impressive

Fuck point fighters, every last one of them.

I like when a fighter shows fight iq, negates the opponents strengths and imposes his own game. If that results in a ko/sub, great. If it goes to judges, that's ok too. Stupidity is the most frustrating thing to watch.

Sure. It's one of the many pathways to a win. It's the opponent who must counter it and that at times adds to the intrigue of the match up. All kinds make up this sport like in boxing. Mayweather won some by KOs and TKOs but for most of his career was a point fighter. I always say he mastered the art of winning the rounds. Many of these MMA guys are trying to minimize the risk to get to the win which is the ultimate goal in any fight. Get the win. Granted it doesn't translate to excitement it's the same in any team sport or individual sport the match up isn't going to always make for excitement given the style.

no, fuck that shit. unless you dominate everyone, I rather not watch it. but if you're doing damage and actively working, I'm fine with that

I think anything at a very high level is fun to watch.

The ones that bore me are the ones that aren't good enough to be amazing but still drag fights along

Depends on the fighter, Moicano is exciting as hell even when he isnt looking for the finish. Zabit is also a pleasure to watch even if he doesn't have the power to put you away. Wonderboy can be good but match making can also make his fights awfully boring as well.

Yes. I believe Moicano and Leon Edwards are two of, if if not the best, point fighters in the UFC. They still manage to make their fights exciting.

I always hated watching Cruz jump around and throw pitter patter punches for five rounds, then talk like he's the best "fighter" in the world. Don't mind those other guys though.

I enjoy bisping's fights
krObWVX.gif

giphy.gif

MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back