Do you know any black belts who don't train anymore?

• Thread starter Significance Deficit
  • Start date
S

Significance Deficit

Not because of injuries or age, just someone who is a black belt in BJJ and for one reason or another no longer trains.

I saw someone say a while ago that if you make it to black belt, it's a lifestyle at that point and a person isn't going to ever just willingly stop. I was thinking about it and I don't know of any examples to disprove it.

Yes.

He basically got his blackbelt and stopped training.

He does a million other athletic things but just stopped after 10 years. Although I don't expect him to quit forever.

Yes, i know this one black belt that stopped completely since 2007. He started working for a pharmaceutical company and is making really good money, and doesn't have the time to train or follow the sport. When I rolled with him last year, he was very rusty, felt like I was rolling with a decent blue belt. I'm just a purple belt. That was his first time rolling since end of 2007. He doesn't know who the Mendez brothers are, doesn't know who the Miyaos are, or anyone at all. Doesn't even know what a berimbolo is or worm guard.

Just one. There's a black belt that brings his wife to our gym to train. He's probably in his early forties. Nice guy. He'll drill with his wife in class and then change and sit out during sparring. He doesn't spar anymore. I've never asked him why.

Three guys were promoted to black while I was training. Two of them stopped training after receiving black belt.

We have four more coming. I think two of them are likely to stop coming to the practice once promoted.

We had quite a few black belts in our club long history. I almost never see them on the mat unless they became coaches.

Three guys were promoted to black while I was training. Two of them stopped training after receiving black belt.

We have four more coming. I think two of them are likely to stop coming to the practice once promoted.

We had quite a few black belts in our club long history. I almost never see them on the mat unless they became coaches.

that is a very high % of drop outs at black belt.. I cant see the reason why would someone quit after getting it.

I wonder why one would stop sparring, that's the fun part. The only reason I go to class is so I can spar.

that is a very high % of drop outs at black belt.. I cant see the reason why would someone quit after getting it.

Maybe they saw black belt as the goal. If you don't care about competition, what more is there to train for after you reach it? If you aren't actively teaching, then where does the motivation come from?

It seems like you're either a competitor or an instructor at that point. My assumption would be that for those who don't want to play either of those roles, there is a higher frequency of not training anymore, but I don't have any examples.

Maybe they saw black belt as the goal. If you don't care about competition, what more is there to train for after you reach it? If you aren't actively teaching, then where does the motivation come from?

It seems like you're either a competitor or an instructor at that point. My assumption would be that for those who don't want to play either of those roles, there is a higher frequency of not training anymore, but I don't have any examples.

whats the point? hummmm having fun may be?

if you dont have fun rolling, then you are going to quite for sure, chasing the belt it doesnt seem like something I would personally do, may be some people got burned out on the process and just want that belt as a goal acomplished, but the core of bjj relies on having fun, and rolling is fun as fuck.

I am not a competitor, I hve never been one, I competed my when I was white blue, by the time I got to purple I really didnt care about competing anymore, I care about having fun. I love teaching, but I love waaay more rolling, I couldnt keep doing this if I could not roll.

whats the point? hummmm having fun may be?

if you dont have fun rolling, then you are going to quite for sure, chasing the belt it doesnt seem like something I would personally do, may be some people got burned out on the process and just want that belt as a goal acomplished, but the core of bjj relies on having fun, and rolling is fun as fuck.

I am not a competitor, I hve never been one, I competed my when I was white blue, by the time I got to purple I really didnt care about competing anymore, I care about having fun. I love teaching, but I love waaay more rolling, I couldnt keep doing this if I could not roll.

I didn't ask what the point was, phrasing is important here. I said, "what more is there to train for?" and, "where does the motivation come from?" I'm just posing questions.

Fun as it may be, BJJ is still hard af, especially when there's no incentive beyond rolling for the sake of rolling. Are you a black belt?

Not because of injuries or age, just someone who is a black belt in BJJ and for one reason or another no longer trains.

I saw someone say a while ago that if you make it to black belt, it's a lifestyle at that point and a person isn't going to ever just willingly stop. I was thinking about it and I don't know of any examples to disprove it.

The lifestyle is a total gimmick that is sold as marketing ploy.

I know of bb that have stopped training.

There is so many valid reasons for stopping.

I think for some, the interest is gone. It just not ticking anymore.

It is very strange indeed.

Weird to not be able to retain your bb.

If you stop just remember there's always some young Texas purple belt (essentially a Cali black belt) waiting for the day you two finally meat up in the streets.

If you stop just remember there's always some young Texas purple belt (essentially a Cali black belt) waiting for the day you two finally meat up in the streets.
Wait is this a thing ? There is talk about Texas jiu jitsu being better than cali jiu jitsu. news to me.

News to me. Last I was hearing Cali was the new Brasil...?? Now Texas is the new Cali??

These Tejas purple belts are the new breed. They'll take you down, lay in your guard for a while, call for back-up and then deport a few Mexicans on the way home.

Just watch out for ens. They call him El Moradito in the barrio.

Back