Do you know any black belts who don't train anymore?

• Thread starter Significance Deficit
  • Start date
I didn't ask what the point was, phrasing is important here. I said, "what more is there to train for?" and, "where does the motivation come from?" I'm just posing questions.

Fun as it may be, BJJ is still hard af, especially when there's no incentive beyond rolling for the sake of rolling. Are you a black belt?

I think the real issue is why do you train jujitsu. If you do not enjoy jujitsu by itself, it will be difficult for you to continue training after you reached your perceived goals. Also, ego has a lot to do with it. Many black belts stop training because they feel like they cannot lose during practice, and they Roll way too hard leaving to injuries. Or they lose and they get disappointed/upset upset because they lost.

I didn't ask what the point was, phrasing is important here. I said, "what more is there to train for?" and, "where does the motivation come from?" I'm just posing questions.

Fun as it may be, BJJ is still hard af, especially when there's no incentive beyond rolling for the sake of rolling. Are you a black belt?

Ate you just asking questions o do you really feel like question "what more is to train?" It seems you think that people need a goal to train, either compete or to get a higher belt. There are certainly people who would fit into those descriptions, the first type I can see why they drop out, the second type, well if they were in Bjj for the sake of getting a piece of cloth around their waist, i would have to say they were in the wrong sport All along. In my case, im into Bjj for the fun of it, I enjoy rolling to an extreme, I can't wait to get out of office and go train. I don't look for motivations to train, my motivation is to have fun.

I just turned brown.

Last edited:
I think it really depends but the biggest reasons would be injuries and time commitments.

After getting a black belt, most people are pretty beat up. Also you tend to be quite a bit older than when you started. So at injuries pile up, it's not a matter of being too hurt to continue but that the pain is no longer with the trade-off.

Further, the more experienced you are the more intentional you have to be to improve. You will still be better than 90%+ of people of you put no effort in. But you won't get better without focusing on improvement.

Finally, motivation is a huge factor. You got a black belt, the are no more belts to achieve. You're better than most people who train. What is the driving force to keep training?

It's difficult to keep up with training without specific goals.

I think it really depends but the biggest reasons would be injuries and time commitments.

After getting a black belt, most people are pretty beat up. Also you tend to be quite a bit older than when you started. So at injuries pile up, it's not a matter of being too hurt to continue but that the pain is no longer with the trade-off.

Further, the more experienced you are the more intentional you have to be to improve. You will still be better than 90%+ of people of you put no effort in. But you won't get better without focusing on improvement.

Finally, motivation is a huge factor. You got a black belt, the are no more belts to achieve. You're better than most people who train. What is the driving force to keep training?

It's difficult to keep up with training without specific goals.

Like i told the other poster, is really your motivation in Bjj. Getting to x belt?

If you are not having fun, then you should stop doing it, unless you are getting paid for it, then it turns into a job.

What if their goal when they started BJJ 10-15 yrs ago was to become a black belt?

Perhaps we should aspire to be red belts instead of black.

I know like, literally, 37 coral belts who don't train anymore. Lame.

If you stop just remember there's always some young Texas purple belt (essentially a Cali black belt) waiting for the day you two finally meat up in the streets.

What does "meat up" mean? Is this a gay reference?

For some guys, the implicit rewards get exhausted, and there are better things to spend time doing. At some point, BJJ is not good for your body, and there may not be much reward in going to open mat with a bunch of spastic blue and white belts that think its their moment to shine every time they roll with a black belt.

Some people just burn out

But I would hate to let my skills atrophy

For some guys, the implicit rewards get exhausted, and there are better things to spend time doing. At some point, BJJ is not good for your body, and there may not be much reward in going to open mat with a bunch of spastic blue and white belts that think its their moment to shine every time they roll with a black belt.
This is pretty much what happened to three guys at my school. They spent of their 20s training like animals, then stopped in their early 30s after getting married, getting more responsibility in their jobs, etc. I think for these guys, too, their skills could only go down from what they were, and they didn't see the point of continuing.

This is pretty much what happened to three guys at my school. They spent of their 20s training like animals, then stopped in their early 30s after getting married, getting more responsibility in their jobs, etc. I think for these guys, too, their skills could only go down from what they were, and they didn't see the point of continuing.

For me it's kind of the opposite. I've got a job with a lot of responsibilities. Started BJJ at age 33. Now I want to work my way up to BB so I can quit my job and open my own gym.

These Tejas purple belts are the new breed. They'll take you down, lay in your guard for a while, call for back-up and then deport a few Mexicans on the way home.

Just watch out for ens. They call him El Moradito in the barrio.
gordojordo

After getting a black belt, most people are pretty beat up. Also you tend to be quite a bit older than when you started.
Boom!

Correct answer!

Fuck me sideways while I rehab for 6 months from surgery coming up in Jan!

Oh but I'll b back training!

I'm getting carried off the mat in a body bag, DOA @ the fucking ER, LOL!

Back