• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

• Total voters
Yeah, but does the PEDs after his injury affect your opinion if he's the P4P GOAT?

Fucks sakes I'm tired of having to explain that the PED Silva popped for is NOT a steroid they would prescribe for a complete bone break, in fact, the PED he popped for(on his very first random no less) actually has long term side effects of calcium leakage from .....the bones!

So the PED he popped for, is actually probably the PED he's used since PRIDE, you know, the organization they actively told people to roid for, and the organization he legitmately looked like he was not only on PED's but diuretics.

Also is the majority of people attempting to save face for Silva forgetting the fact that not only did he pop on his VERY FIRST RANDOM, but that he's a MULTIPLE time PED popper, with his 2nd test, coming back with TWO different illegal substances?

Because it's awfully funny to me that no one acknowledges that, no one acknowledges that he popped on his first random, and that Silva's career coincidentally nose dived into a 8/9 losses(should be 9/9)?

When other GOAT candidates face far more suspicion, even when some of them NEVER popped, and actively advocated not only stringent testing, paid for some of their own more stringent testing, advocates for unions, and tried to make this sport far more safer than what it was?

Yet Jones gets backlash for both of his failures(and more), GSP faces backlash because, according to hating, Silva fanbois, "RaN fRoM uSaDa!" Even though GSP was the one to advocate for stringent testing, and offered to pay for some of his & his opponents, out his pocket, AND that USADA wasn't implemented until a FULL YEAR & some months after his first retirement.

Plus he actually finished the guy that beat Silva, while testing clean his entire career, to become a 2 division champion, yet GSP faces the MOST undeserved criticism and revisionist history by Silva & casual fanbois about this exact situation, accusing him, while not only giving erroneously giving a Silva a pass on a calcium leaking from bone steroid that they wouldn't give for bone breakage, AND completely forgetting his 2nd, two different PED popping failure.

If Jones is ineligible for #1 GOAT because x2 failure, then Silva cannot be GOAT with double digit losses AND x2 failures.

If PED's DON'T count, then Jon Jones is GOAT and if they DO count, & I'd say they rightfully do (while else even test then?) Then GSP is #1GOAT.

So either way, Silva has zero claim to #1 GOAT.
<seedat>

<BC1>

Please... make it make logical & rational sense, without revisionist history. You can't, and yet they've continued to try for a decade.

<WhatItIs>
<{hughesimpress}>

Last edited:
its kinda understandable he'd take anything to aid in the healing [though if steroids aid in healing what injuries is another topic].

Even still, if he said it before his injury, its understandable he had that point of view, just like most Sherdoggers.

But, sincere pain can change your opinion on a few issues.

Yeah, but does the PEDs after his injury affect your opinion if he's the P4P GOAT?

Regardless, its a complicated debate.
Nope, it isn't.
Nah. He was old AF coming off a traumatic injury.

Not 'okay.' But as far as reasons to take steroids go, that's the least condemnable.

We’ll never know if he was roiding before the injury.
Yep, we do.
He is the only guy I give a semi-pass to. He was already nearing the end of his career, and he broke his leg in half. I might be naive, but I think he only used to get that leg healed….
You are naive.

Don't really care. It was under understandable situation with healing from a serious injury.

Personally it doesn't bother me considering the situation.

I am of 2 minds on this.. He was caught so for me that knocks you out of GOAT talks.. But I am also unsure if it was part of the treatment for the leg break oe he was just never caught through his career.
This comes up frequently. Are y'all: naive/forgiving/ignorant of the fact that he is on camera in his house with PEDs ON HIS FUCKING SHELF in late 2010-early 2011?
PED Expert Spots Anderson Silva's HGH Stash During UFC Cribs (bjjee.com)

Last edited:
Whether someone took PEDs or not is completely irrelevant to me.

During university I had to write an essay about an upcoming law change and my thoughts on it. This was during the TRT era so I did it on Nevada's upcoming rule change to ban TRT. My law professor didn't follow MMA and looked like he had probably never done sports or lifted weights in his life, yet he got to the crux of the matter at hand better than I've ever seen anybody do so in all these PED discussions in all of sports:

Will banning PEDs like TRT make the sport fairer as is the argument for banning them? No, because you can't account for everything else the athletes do to hopefully give them "advantages" over their opponents like differences in training, training facilities, nutrition, coaching, etc.

There was zero guarantee that the match was "fair" to begin with from all the other differences between the two fighters that we do not regulate, let alone before you try and get into the weeds regarding one detail like testosterone levels.

The anti-PED people live in a bubble wherein they pretend every fighter is equal in all regards BUT FOR THE PEDs, thus giving that fighter an advantage. Which is complete nonsense. Which as an aside, during the TRT years we never actually got to know who really did have the higher levels as the non-TRT guys were the smart ones who just had to piss in a cup on fight night for a T/E ratio test instead of having to go through random blood tests like the TRT guys did that actually told us their levels.

PEDs are only an unfair advantage if all else were controlled, accounted for, and equal. But we know all else already wasn't so we can't actually say that. So I'm not going to sit here and say they definitively made the contest unequal when I don't know that they did, thus they're meaningless to me. As the results themselves show by the fact that PED fighters have both won and lost fights, and not are unstoppable monsters who can't lose.

Let alone before trying to argue that passing tests = not on PEDs when that doesn't mean that at all. Better to have passed sure, but doesn't mean you weren't taking them and simply beat the test. We've seen plenty of fighters who's results show that.

Nah. It’s not even real. He was just fixing his broke leg

Of course I do. He got caught cheating red handed. So his legacy is tarnished forever. Just like how it works im every other sport.

PEDs are a plague upon combat sports, no question. USADA testing has done a great job at cleaning up the vast majority of the sport.

And I'd say they're a relevant issue in all discussion about the P4P GOATs, though I don't take the discussions too seriously. They're just fun.

But I'm curious what the general consensus of Anderson Silva's positive PED test after the Nick Diaz fight.

[Go ahead and vote in the poll above, if your opinion is already solidified]

Lets look back exactly what he tested positive for -

IMG_2497.0.0.JPG

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/...-tested-positive-for-two-types-of-performance

"Anderson Silva not only tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in a Jan. 9 out-of-competition drug test, but traces of the banned substance Androstane were also found within the legendary champion's system, according to Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) executive director Bob Bennett.

Drostanolone is a common form of anabolic steroid. Androstane is a form of endogenous steroid hormone. Both substances are banned according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code."

That's pretty cut and dry, right? If you're of the opinion that any PEDs positive test throws into question if the fighter was always on PEDs and this was just the first time they got caught. And Silva was not using an obscure PED that no one knew about, but a steroid & steroid hormone. Two PEDs.

But there's a sympathetic argument towards this not harming his legacy. Before the Diaz fight, this happened to him 14 months before -

anderson-silva-broken-leg-10.jpg

R.5c212939c300ebc1811307ec10ed6965

tumblr_myk3ptC1br1rkoffro1_400.gif

Given the fact he went through THAT - possibly the most painful injury in combat sports - & an entire year of recovery that went into his fight camp for Diaz... its kinda understandable he'd take anything to aid in the healing [though if steroids aid in healing what injuries is another topic].

And he's never tested positive for anything before, or since.

So what's your opinion?

Catastrophic injury. GSP wanted none of that smoke.

I don’t hold it against him and I don’t hold any negative tests against anyone.

It does kinda bug me how some guys get away with no hit to their reputation and others like Anderson suffer for it though. Let’s not act like Anderson’s opponents were clean lol

Anybody remember Sonnens numbers after the 1st Silva fight?

Fucks sakes I'm tired of having to explain that the PED Silva popped for is NOT a steroid they would prescribe for a complete bone break, in fact, the PED he popped for(on his very first random no less) actually has long term side effects of calcium leakage from .....the bones!

So the PED he popped for, is actually probably the PED he's used since PRIDE, you know, the organization they actively told people to roid for, and the organization he legitmately looked like he was not only on PED's but diuretics.

Also is the majority of people attempting to save face for Silva forgetting the fact that not only did he pop on his VERY FIRST RANDOM, but that he's a MULTIPLE time PED popper, with his 2nd test, coming back with TWO different illegal substances?

Because it's awfully funny to me that no one acknowledges that, no one acknowledges that he popped on his first random, and that Silva's career coincidentally nose dived into a 8/9 losses(should be 9/9)?

When other GOAT candidates face far more suspicion, even when some of them NEVER popped, and actively advocated not only stringent testing, paid for some of their own more stringent testing, advocates for unions, and tried to make this sport far more safer than what it was?

Yet Jones gets backlash for both of his failures(and more), GSP faces backlash because, according to hating, Silva fanbois, "RaN fRoM uSaDa!" Even though GSP was the one to advocate for stringent testing, and offered to pay for some of his & his opponents, out his pocket, AND that USADA wasn't implemented until a FULL YEAR & some months after his first retirement.

Plus he actually finished the guy that beat Silva, while testing clean his entire career, to become a 2 division champion, yet GSP faces the MOST undeserved criticism and revisionist history by Silva & casual fanbois about this exact situation, accusing him, while not only giving erroneously giving a Silva a pass on a calcium leaking from bone steroid that they wouldn't give for bone breakage, AND completely forgetting his 2nd, two different PED popping failure.

If Jones is ineligible for #1 GOAT because x2 failure, then Silva cannot be GOAT with double digit losses AND x2 failures.

If PED's DON'T count, then Jon Jones is GOAT and if they DO count, & I'd say they rightfully do (while else even test then?) Then GSP is #1GOAT.

So either way, Silva has zero claim to #1 GOAT.
<seedat>

<BC1>

Please... make it make logical & rational sense, without revisionist history. You can't, and yet they've continued to try for a decade.

<WhatItIs>
<{hughesimpress}>
It's actually nice to get a poll option that specifically says oh herp derp he used it to heal his leg. It lets us know who we can disregard completely when this topic comes up. Because as you said, we've known for some time the ped he popped for isn't something you would use to heal an injury like that.

It's purely a coping mechanism from his fans. Just like the Jones fans still buying the gas station dick pill excuse.

No.
Everyone else is at it imo, or most fighters at least.
You're extremely gullible if you think only the ones that get caught are guilty of taking PEDs.

It's actually nice to get a poll option that specifically says oh herp derp he used it to heal his leg. It lets us know who we can disregard completely when this topic comes up. Because as you said, we've known for some time the ped he popped for isn't something you would use to heal an injury like that.

It's purely a coping mechanism from his fans. Just like the Jones fans still buying the gas station dick pill excuse.
Touché, you have a point there.
<TheWire1>

I don't think many use the gas station dick pill excuse, especially after the receipt with the clom on it, where as literally anytime Silva's 1st failure is brought up, there seem to be quite a lot that think it was used to "heal" his snapped leg.

I mean hell, there is Alot that don't even acknowledge he has popped twice... Smh.
<Neil01>

It does a bit but not that much given the Era he fought in and circumstances at the time. The majority of his opponents were also on illegal stuff (Vitor, Marquardt and Sonnen all popped for illegal substances even before they implemented more strict testing) so it's not like he had an unfair advantage against most of his opponents. Then when you consider the supplements needed to restore his broken leg required stuff that was against USADA's recently added ban list at the time. What does hurt him more is sticking around too long and taking L's against guys who would not have beaten him in his prime. Still the MW GOAT but should have retired after the Brunson "win"

This thread entertains me far less than the Bobby Green one, therefore I'm not slogging through all 7 pages (as I type this).

But to answer OPs question...absolutely. It's not even that AS was busted, it's the ultra-lame "dick pills" excuse.

I do understand that moral myopia and selective outrage has completely taken over this place, though.

I don’t hold it against him and I don’t hold any negative tests against anyone.

It does kinda bug me how some guys get away with no hit to their reputation and others like Anderson suffer for it though. Let’s not act like Anderson’s opponents were clean lol

To be fair, we all know *one* opponent who was for sure...

Most fighters are on roids, and even if that particular statement is supposition, it's a fact that several of the biggest names on his record either popped for roids or were on "trt". He only tested positive after a possibly career ending injury. It's just another excuse people use to try to discredit him.

Back