Do you have a problem with WSOF WW Champ Rousimar Palhares' win over Jake Shields?

Here we go again, let it go there was nothing wrong with the submission. He let it go right away when the ref steps in. It was absolute pleasure to see Shileds get tapped.

clearly not bias in any way

A second is a really long time in pro sports. Really. Hitting a player a few tenths of a second late in football is a penalty. A full second after the whistle blows and someone is getting suspended.

We are talking about an extremely talented fighter who has already been fired from the premier MMA organization in the world for holding subs too long. Tonight we saw a veteran submission artist angered by Rousimar's refusal to release the hold. What exactly needs to happen to convince some folks that this is a problem?

If Palhares were wise he would drill releasing submissions quickly. His failure to do so has already deeply hurt his career and his career earnings and is starting to eclipse his obvious brilliance in jiu jitsu.

Please read my above post. I'm not saying Rousimar should be always doing this- I'm just saying that calling him a piece of shit and wanting him banned for life is too much. A fine? Sure.

I'm not really defending his actions saying what he did was ideal, Im just defending him from the piece of shit and calls for ban

That's not how racism works. Some people (maybe even you??) hate Palhares because he's a poorly educated Brazilian.

Note I think a lot of the hate is from xenophobia and not racism.

im gonna say 90%+ people who 'hate' palhares feel that way because of his fight history and would hate him regardless of education/nationality.

Honestly I could care less but really all it means is that it is that much less likely he ever gets back into the UFC. He is the dumbest and dirtiest fighter in the sport and will retire fighting in the minors making chump change. He'll always be a minor league fighter.

No problem at all, he didnt hold the sub long and let go a sec after. It looked like any other submission expect the fact its palhares, everyone puts him under the microscope.

qft.

Palhares didn't simply "hold the submission too long", he continued cranking the submission even further after his opponent and the ref were playing bongos on him.

I understand that you let the ref stop the fight.. so, a grappler with a submission should force the tap, then keep it there until the ref intervenes. However, Palhares forces the tap then makes the sub tighter, and once the ref intervenes, he goes even tighter for a second before he lets go.

Palhares fault is because he starts to unlock submission when referee touches him. All other fighters starts when the opponent taps. In this point he is not wrong because is the referee who ends the fight, not the opponent. There is a time frame between feel the referee and complete unlock the submission. The other fighters seems to hold less than Palhares, because all of them start do unlock the submission when the opponent taps. So when the referee comes, the movement to unlock submission is in progress.

I don't know if 'unlock' is the right word for this, English is not my mother language.

Did you cry this much when Mir did the same thing to Nog?

Of course not, because that's what Dana wanted to happen.

you already tried that, at least re-phrase the post slightly.

one guy tapped and the other guy didn't, stop being thick.

can we get that gif slowed down?

i count about 7 taps from shields, about 6 taps from the ref, one of them being after palhares begins to release.

i think two taps from a refs hands should be enough to receive the signal to release and react, especially if it is already primed with your opponents taps.

after shields first tap, palhares held on the tap for about 3 more seconds

shields taped 10 times in total. 10.

TEN

I understand that you let the ref stop the fight.. so, a grappler with a submission should force the tap, then keep it there until the ref intervenes. However, Palhares forces the tap then makes the sub tighter, and once the ref intervenes, he goes even tighter for a second before he lets go.

I agree he should have kept the kimura locked in and not apply more pressure to it. As Shields was tapping he continue to apply more pressure so when the ref did intervene he was already in the motion of applying more pressure which made it seem like he cranked post-ref intervention.

Yes, dude has a history of it and he's gonna fuck someone up for life one of these days.

Any other fighter, and people would be complaining that it's the ref's fault. So why not this time?

Shit, I remember this forum loving the fact that BJ Penn decided to hold the choke on at least 2 or 3 seconds after the referee had stepped in vs. Jens Pulver.

There wasn't half as much outrage for Rampage-Wanderlei 3 either and that could have literally killed someone.

Please read my above post. I'm not saying Rousimar should be always doing this- I'm just saying that calling him a piece of shit and wanting him banned for life is too much. A fine? Sure.

I'm not really defending his actions saying what he did was ideal, Im just defending him from the piece of shit and calls for ban

Fair enough. However, one has to bear in mind that other punishments have had no effect on Palhares at all. You might be tempted to think that being fired from the premier MMA org would cause him to change his ways but it did not.

A simple fine is hardly sufficient at this point, even if a ban may be too much.

I don't care if Palhares cripples the entire welterweight. Watching him on the floor is priceless.

i did see the eye gouges off of his back. it didnt look like he held it too long initially but after the replay and seeing him keep torquing it while steve was pounding on his back I agree he held it too long

Shit, I remember this forum loving the fact that BJ Penn decided to hold the choke on at least 2 or 3 seconds after the referee had stepped in vs. Jens Pulver.

There wasn't half as much outrage for Rampage-Wanderlei 3 either and that could have literally killed someone.

hell, just from tonight we saw Cummins land about 4 elbows after Feijiao was already cleanly KO'd. That's just how fighting sometimes goes.

People just get this stupid mob mentality and can't think outside of it.

Man, and I thought Gilbert Yvel was a dick.

Speaking of egregious violence, I love Hendo and think Bisping is a muppet, but I have come to a place where I really, really dislike the late hit Hendo threw in their fight.

Hendo admitted that he knew Bisping was done and threw the H-bomb because he didn't like him. He actually could have killed him, or done permanent damage.

That being said, a lot of late hits are a grey area. Continuing to attack once a ref has stepped in needs to be punished harshly, because it is going to kill someone one of these days.

Rematch anybody? Bet he holds one again... Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back