Do you guys think ultimately Petr Yan deserved a TS

He deserved 100%,
I can't wait for the rematch
with this Starling thing !

Also :
Next TS in line, is the TS ... !

It's easier to look better when you're fighting lesser comp and the good comp are all fighting each other.

If you took Faber in his prime and let him fight a washed up fighter on their way out he'd look amazing too lol.
Isnt this what the ufc does with every rising star, build them up off the back of aging legends.

They shud just cut Aljo and make TJ vs Jan for the vacant title.

Totally up for this 165 Inaugural Championship -- unifying BW and LHW Titles held on a Pirate Ship in the middle of the Ocean.

Rule 8: No Weigh-In
Rule 34: TJ will not be tested for any substance

He is the real champ. ALjo deserves a rematch.
On the Kevin Bacon boulevard, Yan is pretty much considered the champ.
Jesus- Yan comes in as a -270 favorite over Aljo. That's one helluva a serious number.
I do like that Yan has yet to be tested..... and the scary ubiquity that comes along with it.

On the Kevin Bacon boulevard, Yan is pretty much considered the champ.
Jesus- Yan comes in as a -270 favorite over Aljo. That's one helluva a serious number.
I do like that Yan has yet to be tested..... and the scary ubiquity that comes along with it.

Well after Aljo, there's TJ and Sand. THen the division is clean and Cehudo probably gets a free crack

As it was a vacant title fight it should've been Moraes vs Sterling. Moraes landed the cleaner shots throughout the fight and hurt Aldo. I hated the poor commentary for that, which also influenced Aldo getting the shot, as it influenced Dana. Aldo's name value, past glory.

While Sterling was waiting for a deserved title shot.

These things have significance as Marlon dropped off right away, lost his edge. Now he's probably never getting that shot, was robbed off of it. And he matched up well vs Sterling, also had already beat him. That's a reason as well, making a new fight for a fresh start for BW post Cejudo.
It was weird how they had 2 fights booked at the same time: Sterling, who had the better UFC streak of opponents and was higher ranked than Yan, vs Sandhagen, who had a decent prospective run and higher rank than Aldo, and actually had wins at bantamweight, unlike Aldo who had just lost to Marlon, and deservedly so, no robbery.

And yet, Yan-Aldo was the belt, and Dana still wasn't sold on Sterling being the number 1 contender

The TJ we saw last weekend doesn't beat Yan lol. He won't have the grappling advantage he had over Sandhagen.

Yeah he does. Who's Yan beat that's even close to as good as TJ? Aldo was beating Yan before he gassed, TJ can apply the pressure and movement Aldo utilized but has the cardio to do it for 5 rounds.

TJ isn't getting through Yan. And Sterling is ahead of him too so he'll most likely need another win before he even gets a title shot.

Yan and Aljo are scheduled for October, TJ's getting surgery for his injuries this past fight, by the time he's healed up the winner of Yan/Aljo should be ready to fight again.

It was weird how they had 2 fights booked at the same time: Sterling, who had the better UFC streak of opponents and was higher ranked than Yan, vs Sandhagen, who had a decent prospective run and higher rank than Aldo, and actually had wins at bantamweight, unlike Aldo who had just lost to Marlon, and deservedly so, no robbery.

And yet, Yan-Aldo was the belt, and Dana still wasn't sold on Sterling being the number 1 contender

Yep. BW is a exciting division. It only needs proper, merit-based matchmaking for fun fights to happen naturally. Looking at name value in this case meant worse fights, Aldo isn't the fighter he once was.

They also messed up MW when the SF guys came over. And FW, as now Zabit has been completely inactive and prolonging the good match-ups with TUF, who few care about. Or WW, where they can't make contenders fight each other. LW fights at the top still aren't signed, Gaethje's been in limbo.

They have bad matchmaking.

No, not really especially against Aldo who was 0-1 at Bantamweight. Sterling vs. Sandhagen just a month prior made a lot more sense as a title fight.

Yan and Aljo are scheduled for October, TJ's getting surgery for his injuries this past fight, by the time he's healed up the winner of Yan/Aljo should be ready to fight again.
TJ can fight the loser to earn a title shot. It wouldn't make sense to give him a title shot after a controversial decision win that happened right after coming back from a 2 year ban for cheating.

He’s no Aljo but Yan is a decent fighter

I don't think he deserved one after beating Faber who was either top 14 or not even ranked from memory. Obviously, this ship has long sailed and he has proved that he is a champion but does beating an old Dodson and Faber mean you get a TS? I have seen a lot of people arguing about it recently but now after over a year of Cejudo being retied and Yan being champ do you guys think he deserved it at that time?

Thinking about it that means Khamzat should get a TS Khamzat bless.
Playing revisionist history, it's easy to claim that he deserved a title shot. However, eliminating confirmation bias, no I don't quite think he deserved a title shot at the time. I felt Sterling and Moraes were more deserving at the time (albeit 2 guys that had already fought each other). I honestly wasn't too upset though -- Yan getting the TS when he did wasn't too far out of line in my opinion. I had no problem with it, and I felt that skill wise, he was worthy of it and justified it.

I think it's pretty clear the UFC brass doesn't like Sterling. Might not be personal, they might just not think he's a good seller etc... but I don't think they want that belt around his waist.

Do you guys think ultimately Aljamain Sterling deserves to be parading around a shiny gold belt?

Petr yan will rule this division for 5 years, you racist bastards, he is on another level, you know whit about mma

Probably not but he showed against Aldo that he's a top 135'r

Back