do you get in more or less fights since you started grapling

A

alexgncw

something i've noticed since i started bjj even though my fighting ability went up like 1000% i hardly ever get into fights anymore and when in a position to get into one often just talk my way out of it while before i started taking bjj i had a fairly short temper and would get into drunk brawls at clubs, etc almost on a weekly basis

how has everyone elses experience been with this ... seems weird that a pretty violent sport would actually make you less violent but i've heard the same story from a lot of people i train with

when you get beaten by other people in bjj your ego goes down meaning no cheap fights

mmahamzah said:
when you get beaten by other people in bjj your ego goes down meaning no cheap fights
i don't look at it that way when i get tapped by people in training who i already know are better then me i think of it as learning it doesn't lower my ego at all ... i know they beat me because they've been training longer it just gives me more reason to train harder

yeah you are right, i guess for me at least, it gives me the confidence to be able to walk away from an altercation rahter than lose my head and start fighting. besides fighting in the street unless to defend urself, family, or friend, from an attacker is gay, theres no money in it!

I haven't been in a fight in years. I think it has more to do with getting older and mellowing out then taking BJJ. And being to fucked after training to go out. ;)

most people who can handle themselves and train in fighting don't get into dumb exchanges on the street. Most people fight because they are scared and feel they have to prove something.

Yeah, my fighting decreased to almost none since starting BJJ. I simply don't start shit, and I only end up fighting if I'm given no other choice.

Rip Van Winkle said:
same amount...which is pretty much none...I don't start shit.

I'm with you, brother. Haven't been in any fights in 20 years. If you are smart and don't hang out with stupid people, particularly people that are bad drunks, you can easily avoid fights. You don't have to be the badass. Everyone I've known that tried to be a badass drunk fighter lost a few teeth and a couple friends.

I barely got into fights ever since i moved. But most of it is because I feel that revenge is the biggest bitch i'll have to live with if i do get someone good. I think i'ma have to because a "friend" said he'd go to the store and never came back with my bike. Someone saw him in another handball park and I'd think I'll have to see what's up.

alexgncw said:
something i've noticed since i started bjj even though my fighting ability went up like 1000% i hardly ever get into fights anymore and when in a position to get into one often just talk my way out of it while before i started taking bjj i had a fairly short temper and would get into drunk brawls at clubs, etc almost on a weekly basis

how has everyone elses experience been with this ... seems weird that a pretty violent sport would actually make you less violent but i've heard the same story from a lot of people i train with

I don't think most people on here go around getting in fights and can compare the amount they get into "now" versus the amount they got into before training. If you're a fairly mature and reasonable person that doesn't go around looking for trouble it's VERY hard to get into a fight. If you are always staring people (or whatever) down then of course you will end up fighting. If you have that problem (or had) you need to work on your social skills.

i havent been in i fight since i started training but for some reason when i drink (wich isnt verry often) i want to kill everybody and i have a wierd mentality just waiting for someone to fuck with me. but i dont start shit with them and nobody fucks with me, probably cause of my size. i'm always a gentleman but i'm waiting like an animal for someone to start shit.

i always avoid fights if possible...too many things can happen, go wrong and i would hate to think someone gets hurt or killed over a girl..cus someone stepped on someone's shoes..or whatever; i have seen people get really hurt and for what ego or a perceived disrespect.

i have been in fights since i trained, but most of those were extreme situations where the other person was gonna fight me one way or another; so it just went down like tht.

but i will always avoid a fight or confrontation....if someone has something to prove i don't and i won't less i have to;-)

What you are talking about is a centuries old paradign that happens pretty much in every type of martial art. But it pretty much depends on discipline implemented in the school. Some would kick you out if they find out you are accepting "challenges" (not self-defence), while other kick you out if you don't (no confidence in what you learned). Although I recognize challenge matches helped in BJJ get to where it is at right now, I preffer TMA method of discipline, especially for children.

same. i got into 1 fight before grappling and 1 fight after. ive never felt the need to prove my fighting to anyone.

plus you realize the guys you would be fighting on the street are total tards and you know you could hurt them. Before you were eager to show you were tuff and could beat some ass, now you just know you can... so why waste the energy.....

It think it has more to do with being comfortable, and not giving a shit about even fighting... Hell i fought 10 times today at practice... why do i want to wrestle with some skill-less deushe bag off the street.

Ever since I started grappling last year my confidence has gone up a lot. But that doesn't mean i'm going to pick a fight with ever single guy I think I can beat.Whenever I go to shoot pool at bars even though I'm underage (15) there are plenty of drunk bastards. I usually am overweighed by 50 pounds but all I have to do is close the distance and clinch and when I take them down I just stand up and walk away. I suppose it has made me less violent and prone to fighting.

u might run into a trained person..as well and just having training does not mean u will win, fights are dynamic not static and alot of factors come into play; i seen trained guys get koed or just plain beat down...

i have seen tma get beat in a fight, seen wrestlers get koed, bjj guys, muay thai guys and boxers all lose to untrained people, there are no rules in a streetfight anything can happen...so anyone can be beat plain and simple...

once u see someone u know is skilled and have seen fight on the street get handled u get real ware of the risks of a streetfight...

there are people i know who don't train who i am not sure if i could take, an this is after i have boxed good amateurs or pros...and grappled w/a variety of jc..college wrestlers..competitive judok..and bjj stylist and so on....

Iloveshamrock said:
Ever since I started grappling last year my confidence has gone up a lot. But that doesn't mean i'm going to pick a fight with ever single guy I think I can beat.Whenever I go to shoot pool at bars even though I'm underage (15) there are plenty of drunk bastards. I usually am overweighed by 50 pounds but all I have to do is close the distance and clinch and when I take them down I just stand up and walk away. I suppose it has made me less violent and prone to fighting.
Dude you're only 15 lol. Don't bother getting into brawls with adults. I'm 17 and when it comes to adults, I know better than to try and prove them wrong in anything.

Back