do you get in more or less fights since you started grapling

yah, actually i wanna learn how to talk a person out of a fight now.marial arts kinda gets you spiritually.u find a place where fighting doesn't seem like the best answer.my friends like totally respect me now even the ones from the hood.not because i train or maybe feel like a badass because the way i handle myself now.

I have not been in a phyisical fight even prior to training much less after but I do find myself getting into less verbal arguments with everyone including my gf, my coworkers, friends and family. Whenever I go out I usually go out with other people that train and or law enforcement guys who are less apt to get into trouble.

nhbMIKE said:
i havent been in i fight since i started training but for some reason when i drink (wich isnt verry often) i want to kill everybody and i have a wierd mentality just waiting for someone to fuck with me. but i dont start shit with them and nobody fucks with me, probably cause of my size. i'm always a gentleman but i'm waiting like an animal for someone to start shit.

I'm the same way, I'm as polite as possible but I'm still dying to throw down when I drink. Luckilly I don't drink when I train hard, and I train 11 months of the year.

once you start grapling if you start getting into fight you are asking for some serious problems. Remember you dont have mats outside.

I still get into the same amount of fights as i did when i didn't grapple which is almost none, I think it's much smarter not to get in streetfights if you can help it, if you fight one guy you're almost always going to have to fight 2 or 3 of his mates.

Of course fights can still happen even when you're not looking for them.

i never really get into fights,last one was yrs befoer i started bjj,in first yr of high school to be exact !

Could also have to do with the fact that you realise how badly you could be done over if you come across a BJJ BB in the street, especially if you're getting a whipping from the blues.

I'm not really a regular brawler and never have been and plan not to be. I have had a few scraps a while back in school and a couple within the last 6 months since I've been doing BJJ. What I have learned in BJJ I feel has made me aware and confident in a fight. I have a short temper and have backed away too many times and looked weak in my life that I'm stubborn and will fight. I'm not tough, but hate the feeling of "I should of done this". Situation one, me and a friend were drunk, he threw a punch that landed and I was able to recover quick, double leg take down, mount and make clear I could beat him senseless but I chose not to. Situation two, sorta similar, this time, a dood in the club keeps throwing 'bows at a girl I am with and at some friends. He is drunk, like me, except more out of hand. he hit me, my friends and this girl one too many times. I 'bow him back, got his attention, before he swung I connected my own jab which floored him, I secured a mount and rained blows on him before security were called and I made a decisicon (being smart or being a pussy?) to run out the club.
I have used to take down and mount techniques which I'm happy I've learned in BJJ. I think otherwise, I would have either backed away or tried trading in a busy club which get scrappy & ends up by getting sweaty with a ripped shirt.

I've trained martial arts for about 4 years but I've never been in a fight in my life. I've sparred with friends and wrestled with my brother but thats it. There have been lots of times when I could have gotten into fights but I decided to walk away instead. I'm not going to risk getting stabbed or having my head stomped on over something stupid like bumping into some drunk idiot at a club.

vanguard_anon said:
I don't get into fight, I'm a grownup. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

It's funny, I was talking to my boss one time who is a short, but very muscular, tough guy who was a wrestler and trained in mma. He was telling me about all of these fights he had been in, and finally I had to stop him and say, "when were these fights?" He replied, "oh, when I was in college." I said, "college?! You were still getting into fights in college?!?"

99% of fight stories start off with, "me and my friends were a little drunk and..."

I think I get into more fights now that I know wtf I'm doing. Like If I get mad at a situation or something I'll just drive around all pissed off. Also I think you need to keep kids in check, like so many kids have attitude and most of the time shit doesnt escalate into a fight. But if it does I'm not to worried unless they have a weapon/i get jumped. I've been in 3 fights ever so I don't get in to many.

grapling101 said:
once you start grapling if you start getting into fight you are asking for some serious problems. Remember you dont have mats outside.

LOL. Your fuckin dumb dude. I love when people act like someone with no MA experience has the advantage over someone that grapples because "anything can happen." Dude there is so much adrenaline going you don't even feel the pavement.

Back