Do you ever lose motivation to train all of a sudden?

Totally normal. But to help staying in shape, run or liftfor the week or so you take off. Coming back from a break the hardest part for me was getting gassed earlier and feeling I lost that athletic progress. When you arent at class, try doing some research maybe on YouTube about positions you struggle at to keep your mind in the game.

I started first feeling like this about 2 years ago. It started happening in gradual steps.

At first I thought maybe I just hated the gi, so I did more nogi.
Than I thought maybe I just hate going to class and just went to open mats.
Then I thought maybe I'm just going too much, so I started going less.

When you don't like someone or something, little things will start to bother you. If you enjoy someone or something, even significant obstacles will seem trivial. I found myself just making a lot of petty complaints about bjj that were indicative that I was burnt out. Meanwhile I was really going out of my way to try and learn wrestling.

The truth is I just have way more fun wrestling at this point. Sometimes wrestling sucks too but only because its hard to do, not because I've grown weary of the actual practice.

Interestingly I just got back from training. I had a great time. I enjoyed touching base with everyone. I really enjoyed helping a guy who is really starting to fall in love with bjj. The rolling was OK - not boring but not crazy fun like it used to be either.

Holy ****. Are you me ?

Seriously, just today I was thinking maybe I'm sick of the gi and I should go to the 3 weekly open mats and skip classes for a bit. This is insane how we are going through the same exact steps. I really hope it's just a phase for me

Hmmm yeah I have gone through that. I’m an “old guy” been training for 17 years started in my mid 30’s. I really have no interest in competing anymore so that’s not a motivation.

I really only train 2-3 times a week now and only spar maybe 1-2 days of that. I think by limiting the amount per week and adding other activities such as yoga and running it helps me to look forward to training.

I’ve also realized training gives me a community to interact with people outside of my family since I am self employed with no coworkers. I guess other activities could do that as well but I’m so invested at this point it’s hard to imagine just hanging up the gi.

Holy ****. Are you me ?

Seriously, just today I was thinking maybe I'm sick of the gi and I should go to the 3 weekly open mats and skip classes for a bit. This is insane how we are going through the same exact steps. I really hope it's just a phase for me

Naw its not a phase. Keeping upper belts interested is a serious problem for a lot of schools. I've spoken about this to many people.

I sometimes feel I should switch to a hobby with a lot of more women rather then spend all my evenings with a bunch of dudes most of whom I don't particularly like.
Real talk haha.

If I took the same amount of time that I put into BJJ and put it into gymnastics, or yoga, or salsa...

Real talk haha.

If I took the same amount of time that I put into BJJ and put it into gymnastics, or yoga, or salsa...
I have pondered dance classes myself. They seem social and give a useful skill.

When I was a kid, I played baseball and basketball. As a teenager, I left those things behind and wrestled and played football. Each one had a season. More importantly, each one had a break. I wasn't constantly doing a sport. I enjoyed all of them at the time I was doing them. I never walked around wondering who I was if I stopped playing baseball.

Fast forward to adulthood where we have the pressure of jobs, mortgages, wives, and kids. AND, we do BJJ 52 weeks a year with no break year in and year out. Then, we wonder why the passion isn't there?

Crazy, right?

Who says BJJ is something we have to do for life? Can't it be a phase too like all our other activities? Is that wrong?

Just wondering if I'm burned out, tired, getting older, or what, but I've been consistently motivated and training BJJ for 4 years now averaging 4-6 days a week minimum, but the last 2 weeks I've only gone in like 4 times . I find myself dragging my feet to go train and lacking motivation, I get smashed and feel even worse after

Anyone else feel this way years into your BJJ training after being really motivated ?

only after a hard trianing camp normally i take 2 weeks off or so after ill be in the gym helping coach but not gonna be goin hard

Hey guys quick update from the OP:

Turned out it was lack of sleep and stress last week haha. Went in today for an entire hour of rolling and felt great again

strangely the less I go the less I want to go and the more I go the more I want to go.

After the recent horrible injury of the Russian grappler as well as Estima's story my enthusiasm for grappling has gone way down.

Just wondering if I'm burned out, tired, getting older, or what, but I've been consistently motivated and training BJJ for 4 years now averaging 4-6 days a week minimum, but the last 2 weeks I've only gone in like 4 times . I find myself dragging my feet to go train and lacking motivation, I get smashed and feel even worse after

Anyone else feel this way years into your BJJ training after being really motivated ?
I went through it a few months ago. Age, injuries, repetitive drills...it drains you.
I took a break for about a month and then came back with the focus on learning something new in both gi and no gi. I also go to as many open mats as possible and avoid fundamental classes with a lot of drilling. I'm feeling better and enjoying it again.

After the recent horrible injury of the Russian grappler as well as Estima's story my enthusiasm for grappling has gone way down.

Don't do flying submission and high crotches.

Don't do flying submission and high crotches.

There's more danger though. Estima was just going for a single leg and almost ended up quadriplegic.

Getting stacked when you go for a triangle is a known danger. Double under guard pass is another danger. On reddit a amateur grappler got paralyzed from it.

Another amateur mma fighter ended up paralyzed during sparring when his partner got him in a guillotine.

There's more danger though. Estima was just going for a single leg and almost ended up quadriplegic.

Getting stacked when you go for a triangle is a known danger. Double under guard pass is another danger. On reddit a amateur grappler got paralyzed from it.

A high crotch it's a head outside single. No need for you to ever go for one in BJJ.
You can tap if some gigantic Murican stack you.
I always regret when I go for triangles against the 275lbs dude who baits them and I get stacked, tapped him once tho with that.

Another amateur mma fighter ended up paralyzed during sparring when his partner got him in a guillotine.

Tap early to guillotines or develop a good habit to avoid them. Don't shoot in a way that expose you to stand up ones which are the most dangerous anyway (don't shoot at all if you aren't comfortable lol). Don't do guards or submissions that leave you stacked on your back. Don't do head outside singles.

Seems like a lot of stuff but honestly it really isn't that much if you think how much else you can do.

Tap early to guillotines or develop a good habit to avoid them. Don't shoot in a way that expose you to stand up ones which are the most dangerous anyway (don't shoot at all if you aren't comfortable lol). Don't do guards or submissions that leave you stacked on your back. Don't do head outside singles.

Seems like a lot of stuff but honestly it really isn't that much if you think how much else you can do.

So no triangles?

So no triangles?

The triangle leaves you very exposed to the possibility of being stacked especially against heavier dudes, so I guess if you want to entirely avoid that scenario it's a big no no. I discarded it time ago anyway so for me it isn't a big issue.

Back