Do you ever lose motivation to train all of a sudden?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just wondering if I'm burned out, tired, getting older, or what, but I've been consistently motivated and training BJJ for 4 years now averaging 4-6 days a week minimum, but the last 2 weeks I've only gone in like 4 times . I find myself dragging my feet to go train and lacking motivation, I get smashed and feel even worse after

Anyone else feel this way years into your BJJ training after being really motivated ?

All the time.

One thing I note to people is that for about 95% of the population, this is a hobby. It should be done for fun and you should want to be there. Take a short break, recharge

Aren't you glad you didn't ditch your family 4x a week to go train at ATOS HQ?

All the time.

One thing I note to people is that for about 95% of the population, this is a hobby. It should be done for fun and you should want to be there. Take a short break, recharge

My main worry is getting out of shape. When I started BJJ I was pushing 190 since then I've consistently been under 170. I gain weight fast I I stop working out

Yeah it happens to everyone.
If I'm feeling burnt out, I still train, but I reduce my volume and do some other things (yoga/climbing/etc).
The urge to train normally comes back after a while.

There's a difference between just being tired, and being burnt out.
If I'm not feeling a session, I will normally go anyway. If I consistently (3+ sessions) feel like I really don't want to be there, then I'll cut down.

Just make sure you do other stuff.

Also try working on new stuff, going from gi->nogi, etc.

I feel you. I’ve been training for 12 years 2 or 3 times a week, and at this point I have very little motivation. In fact, I often dread going. I’m afraid I’ll regret not hanging in to get my black belt, though.

I feel you. I’ve been training for 12 years 2 or 3 times a week, and at this point I have very little motivation. In fact, I often dread going. I’m afraid I’ll regret not hanging in to get my black belt, though.

Did you train consistently for all those 12 years ? Seems like a longer time than normal to get a bb

Yeah it happens to everyone.
If I'm feeling burnt out, I still train, but I reduce my volume and do some other things (yoga/climbing/etc).
The urge to train normally comes back after a while.

There's a difference between just being tired, and being burnt out.
If I'm not feeling a session, I will normally go anyway. If I consistently (3+ sessions) feel like I really don't want to be there, then I'll cut down.

Just make sure you do other stuff.

I'm not sure if I'm tired or burned out or both. I guess it's a combination of family drama between my parents, being burned out from work, and the general realization that I'm turning 38 and maybe BJJ isnt as important as I thought it would be. I was so passionate about it but all of a sudden I'm losing interest and its worrying me because it's been such a huge part of my life the last 4 years or so .

When motivation fails you, rely on discipline. I feel you though, I've had A LOT of times where I lose motivation or that longing to go train. I try to force myself to go as much as I can, because I know that no matter what I'll leave the class happier than when I first entered. I feel like it helps to remind myself that regardless, I'll leave BJJ class feeling good and relaxed. I can't remember the last BJJ class I've had where I left upset and regretting I showed up in the first place.

At the end of the day though, for most people it's a hobby so unless you're training hard for a competition I'd advise a small 1 week break. I find that when I feel burnt out and come back after a short break, I feel more motivated and refreshed to go train.

Did you train consistently for all those 12 years ? Seems like a longer time than normal to get a bb
I’ve been consistent, but I had to change schools twice (first school became too long a drive and my second school closed down).

I’ve been consistent, but I had to change schools twice (first school became too long a drive and my second school closed down).

I remember you mentioning that I think. You're so close to a bb though man. Think of how awesome that is and if it took you that long to get you know its legit as can be

I was feeling burnt out pretty badly, getting in s bit of a rut where I don’t feel I’m improving as much as I wanted, and kept getting nagging injuries. I took a week off like above recommend and feel much better, but am thinking of skipping a day between classes. I’ve been doing six days a week with lifting three days also for over a year and it gets old.

Days off in between classes gives me time to catch up on household shit, along with giving me time to watch some fights and get inspired about new moves.

I was feeling burnt out pretty badly, getting in s bit of a rut where I don’t feel I’m improving as much as I wanted, and kept getting nagging injuries. I took a week off like above recommend and feel much better, but am thinking of skipping a day between classes. I’ve been doing six days a week with lifting three days also for over a year and it gets old.

Days off in between classes gives me time to catch up on household shit, along with giving me time to watch some fights and get inspired about new moves.

I used to do the 6 days a week, but for about a year now cut down to 4-5 days a week. I agree with no days off you can get bored and burned out

Man I used to love bjj. The same fire isn't there and tbh, hasn't been there for some time. I'm hoping to pull out of this soon. My main motivation to train stems from my investment in the development of a younger student, as a way to keep ties with good friends, and the realization of a dream to become BB.

I am starting to realize that my impact on this student is not as great as I think it is. My friendship with my bjj friends is getting harder to maintain as our lives go in different directions. I'm pretty sure I"ll get my BB in 2020 so the door might be closing. This is all to say when you're in love, it's hard to imagine a day when training may progress from something you love, something you do out of habit (like brushing your teeth), to something that may even start to wear on you. This hit me really hard when even directly after training I regretted coming to class bc I just didn't have any fun - something that had never happened to me before.

Ultimately I think you have to keep in mind why you got into it. I have a distinct memory of the time I decided I wanted to get my BB, so I want it to happen. I also got into BJJ for self defense and my time would be better spent wrestling or getting back into striking arts. It would be a shame to hang up the belt but I had a good time and am excited about my future, with or without bjj.

TLDR - If BJJ isn't fun anymore, take a break. If time away doesn't make you miss it, maybe take up another hobby. If another hobby is more fulfilling, just do that.

Man I used to love bjj. The same fire isn't there and tbh, hasn't been there for some time. I'm hoping to pull out of this soon. My main motivation to train stems from my investment in the development of a younger student, as a way to keep ties with good friends, and the realization of a dream to become BB.

I am starting to realize that my impact on this student is not as great as I think it is. My friendship with my bjj friends is getting harder to maintain as our lives go in different directions. I'm pretty sure I"ll get my BB in 2020 so the door might be closing. This is all to say when you're in love, it's hard to imagine a day when training may progress from something you love, something you do out of habit (like brushing your teeth), to something that may even start to wear on you. This hit me really hard when even directly after training I regretted coming to class bc I just didn't have any fun - something that had never happened to me before.

Ultimately I think you have to keep in mind why you got into it. I have a distinct memory of the time I decided I wanted to get my BB, so I want it to happen. I also got into BJJ for self defense and my time would be better spent wrestling or getting back into striking arts. It would be a shame to hang up the belt but I had a good time and am excited about my future, with or without bjj.

TLDR - If BJJ isn't fun anymore, take a break. If time away doesn't make you miss it, maybe take up another hobby. If another hobby is more fulfilling, just do that.

How long have you been training and when did this feeling start?

I sometimes feel I should switch to a hobby with a lot of more women rather then spend all my evenings with a bunch of dudes most of whom I don't particularly like.

What you need is a good injury to keep you off the mat for 3 months or more....

JK

That sure as fuck helped me decide that I really liked training and competing.

My burn out phases went like this at your age.

I'd force myself to make it to the Dojo. If I was happy after training then I'd be back the next night. If I wasn't I'd go hang with my lady early. Most of the time I'd get halfway through class and be psyched so it was easy.

Now, after two major surgeries, one a little over two years ago, every time I get on the mat I feel blessed and lucky as shit!

An old Judo instructor who had both hips replaced use to envy his peers, but also criticize them for not fully appreciate their health. If he wasn't restricted he'd be training and competing all around the country like he was when I started.

So, If you're not all busted up, content on the mat keep going. If you're still not happy while your training, take a day off.

How long have you been training and when did this feeling start?

I started first feeling like this about 2 years ago. It started happening in gradual steps.

At first I thought maybe I just hated the gi, so I did more nogi.
Than I thought maybe I just hate going to class and just went to open mats.
Then I thought maybe I'm just going too much, so I started going less.

When you don't like someone or something, little things will start to bother you. If you enjoy someone or something, even significant obstacles will seem trivial. I found myself just making a lot of petty complaints about bjj that were indicative that I was burnt out. Meanwhile I was really going out of my way to try and learn wrestling.

The truth is I just have way more fun wrestling at this point. Sometimes wrestling sucks too but only because its hard to do, not because I've grown weary of the actual practice.

Interestingly I just got back from training. I had a great time. I enjoyed touching base with everyone. I really enjoyed helping a guy who is really starting to fall in love with bjj. The rolling was OK - not boring but not crazy fun like it used to be either.

Back