Do you enjoy beating people up?

Why? I'm well liked at my club, I've never injured anyone. Honestly I just roll to win and enjoy beating people up, it's how I get my kicks.

Also, I'm not a big guy who likes using his size (im 5'7, 153pds) to dominate.

No worries bro, I'd be trying to overcompensate too if I were 5'7".

Just curious, anyone else here train BJJ because they enjoy beating people up? I know it's a martial art and all, respect your opponents and whatnot, but I find I enjoy grappling because it's fun when you can beat on people and kick their ass.

Also, anyone here hate it when people don't want to spar 100%? I'm used to hard sparring from training at an MMA club, and I figure that if you want to just flow roll and work technique you better have an injury that's keeping you from real sparring.

I have an idea: tell your BJJ instructor this, and then come back here and describe his reaction to us.

The reason I hate people like you is because they're always like 'oh I tapped the (higher level than them) belt' like that's all that matters. Your goal should be to become better by using technique and being a great grappler rather than beating everyone everywhere.

It is not enough to be able to defeat all of your challengers, To be able to tell any man that he cannot defeat you is to wield true power.

no. i used to be a "bad kid" and fight in school when i was in JHS and HS. but after finding martial arts i calmed down a lot and really learned how to control my temper. the last thing i want to do now is fight someone. i think it's silly unless absolutely necessary.

The reason I hate people like you is because they're always like 'oh I tapped the (higher level than them) belt' like that's all that matters. Your goal should be to become better by using technique and being a great grappler rather than beating everyone everywhere.

It is not enough to be able to defeat all of your challengers, To be able to tell any man that he cannot defeat you is to wield true power.

Who said anything about bragging about tapping people? I don't talk shit when I win, I just go and fight my hardest and if I tap you I tap you.

Lechien, competition is going good. I placed third in a no-gi tournament recently, and competed in an open Gi tournament a month ago. I was the only white belt that showed up so I went against two blue belts and a purple belt. Won 1, lost the last two matches. The purple belt choked me out cold cause I refused to tap.

TS, do you go out in class often? Not talking competition here... in class.

Who said anything about bragging about tapping people? I don't talk shit when I win, I just go and fight my hardest and if I tap you I tap you.

Lechien, competition is going good. I placed third in a no-gi tournament recently, and competed in an open Gi tournament a month ago. I was the only white belt that showed up so I went against two blue belts and a purple belt. Won 1, lost the last two matches. The purple belt choked me out cold cause I refused to tap.

:icon_cry2

this type of do or die attitude got you to the level you are in the sport today!!

Ay school or club that spars at 100% isn't doing their students any favors.

And to answer your question.......no.

you have been training for a while now. any chance to get a blue belt?

I like people beating me up... makes it more interesting.

Seriously, you could be the pebble in your instructors shoe because he can't take his eye off of you and has to take a step back and carefully pick your training partners.

I could maybe get a blue belt, as I've been training 5 days a week for over 2 years now, but I don't think I train in the Gi enough to warrant being promoted. I'm more interested in MMA cause I enjoy getting position and punching people in the face.

Higher Learning, I don't care if I lose in grappling tournaments, I just like to fight. I entered my first tournament after four weeks of training and fought a two stripe blue belt in my first match cause I didn't want to enter the white belt division.

I could maybe get a blue belt, as I've been training 5 days a week for over 2 years now, but I don't think I train in the Gi enough to warrant being promoted. I'm more interested in MMA cause I enjoy getting position and punching people in the face.

Higher Learning, I don't care if I lose in grappling tournaments, I just like to fight. I entered my first tournament after four weeks of training and fought a two stripe blue belt in my first match cause I didn't want to enter the white belt division.

thats great, you really come accross to me as someone trying very hard to show how tough they are... i find that pretty funny which is why i am taking the piss

If you really have something against someone, it does feel good to beat the crap out of them.

but, I can't stand the thought of someone being able to kick my ass. so the more you train the less people can kick your ass which is good.

HL, you seem like a nice guy, so no disrespect intended. Why do you train? Do you not find satisfaction in choking someone out cold or beating someone up who's twice your size?

I just like to fight.

HL, you seem like a nice guy, so no disrespect intended. Why do you train? Do you not find satisfaction in choking someone out cold or beating someone up who's twice your size?

I just like to fight.

Did your parents beat you as a child?

Different people train for different reasons. Sometimes I come back from the morning sessions where not many people came, and I "beat up" everyone I rolled with. Sometimes I come back from a good turnout, the gamers showed up and I come back having not won a single round. Oddly I prefer the second. I'm not a great grappler, I've won a couple tournaments that didn't matter, and even winning those tournaments where I dominated against sub-par competition, it really didn't mean anything. I guess what I am saying is, I'd rather have a really competitive roll, win or lose, with someone good than dominate someone. I see BJJ as a martial art, everytime I roll if I lose, I learn something and grow, that is more important to me than anything else. Honestly I think you are training for the wrong reason, and you are missing the boat. That is just my opinion though.

Also, anyone here hate it when people don't want to spar 100%? I'm used to hard sparring from training at an MMA club, and I figure that if you want to just flow roll and work technique you better have an injury that's keeping you from real sparring.

yeah, i totally hate it when people don't go 100%. cuz then i can't flow and work my technique.

nothing like training that guard-sweep-in-progress against a charging bull that gets pissed every time you pull it off. "aliveness" at its best yo.

peace out seacrest

Just curious, anyone else here train BJJ because they enjoy beating people up? I know it's a martial art and all, respect your opponents and whatnot, but I find I enjoy grappling because it's fun when you can beat on people and kick their ass.

if youre for real then i'd say so what, go for it.

thats not really how i train to be honest but you got a good attitude kinda.

youre not trying to hurt anyone.
youre giving all your effort.
youre not enabling others to slack.

but, even if youre not trying to hurt someone, thats not to say you wont. if youre a white belt like me, you should be more worried about what youre doing, rather than how hard youre doing it.

i personally try to use as little force as possible, if he isnt giving much force back, why would i waste my (very precious) energy lol

also if you slam some guys arm down to do an americana from side control for example, that could injure them. they might not even realise until later.

i dont mind 'losing'. i always encourage my team mates to go as hard as they like on me because i trust them. and there are some people that are worried about hurting me so i remind them that look, if it hurts im just gonna tap man its cool.

if someone is pushing really hard to force something then ill try to push back to minimise it until i try to do the next thing.

then again, you have to respect your training partners and if they want to roll a certain way, you should do it. they dont have to justify themselves to you.

a two stripe white that too good for the white belt division?

Back