Do you dislike the mainstream media?

Do you dislike the mainstream media?

• Total voters
The argument that they make is that the mainstream media (large, general-audience media companies) is biased left so they are needed to balance it. The problem is that the MSM is already trying to be balanced (so much so that they skew right to head off accusations). So bias on a grand scale is right, I think. Look up what percentage of Americans don't believe the findings of climate scientists or think that regressive tax cuts grow the economy, not to mention how many believe crazy conspiracy theories about left-leaning politicians (as of Aug. 2016, about three-quarters of Republicans doubted that Obama was born in America, and God only knows how many believe that Clinton was using her charitable foundation to steal money, not to mention even crazier theories).
ostrich.jpg

Those of you debating CNN vs Fox are missing the point of the more enlightenedly skeptical responses to this thread.

Equating "no proof" to "no proof that leaked" shows lack of intelligence and/or corrupt intent to mislead.

This threads been done a bunch of times since Trumps been crying like a baby about the media.

CNN has stepped up their game since the election working alongside The New York Times, Washington Post and The Hill who've also done good breaking news reporting about Trumps administration firings and getting scoops on the Mueller investigation.

The right wing and left wing online media have been shit since the election.
Gateway pundit, Daily Wire & Breitbart just run Trump ball licking pieces and conspiracy stories.
The Daily Beast, Mother Jones and Huffington Post run outrage non-factual pieces on the left.
I dislike Trump, but s lot of what the left sources are doing is grasping at straws. A lot of it is annoying to see. They have all become fox news and then some.

"Features it" to make a wholly fantastic case. And the cheesiness of the opening should have been enough to get your bullshit alert going, but because it's telling you what you want to hear, you uncritically accept it, which is common. If people would apply the same level of skepticism to propaganda videos that they do media reports, they'd be in much better shape, and wouldn't fall for such obvious nonsense (and, again, that applies perhaps even more to your loony claims about the Clinton Foundation and Haiti or to Pizzagate or Clinton Body Count CTs, etc.).

You realize that the biggest story in the MSM in 2016 was that Hillary was once not careful enough avoiding hacks, though she wasn't actually hacked, right? And that the GOP investigated Benghazi seven times despite no finding of improper activity of any kind? But you think that Clinton somehow is just getting away with massively more serious stuff.
I've NEVER believed in the Pizzagate crap or "body count" as you call it.

Look, let's take Clinton out of the Barry Seal operation in Mena, Arkansas for a minute. Even if he had zero actual involvement or knowledge, at the very least, you had a massive CIA/DEA operation that involved massive illegal drug and guns smuggling as well as money laundering. I think the evidence shows that while it was the feds running the show, there was certainly corruption and coverups at the state level, and Clinton's hands were not completely clean in that. Feel free to disagree. Perhaps we should move on now...

What I have learnt from this subforum is the amount of negative people that do resides here.

Where do you get the news? Or are you all experts in source criticism?

Please give me some example of good english news sites(tv, streaming) where both sides can agree.

Russia Today.

main-qimg-cfa167be8755c2642e9ff236a1fe3fe6-c

Lmao @ the hacks that voted no

A full 1/3 of them are the posters I would expect and almost certainly for the reasons I expect. Most of the rest are names I simply don’t recognize. Perhaps one or two of them are just being hipster contrarians. There is not a single surprise in the paltry number of no votes.

Most repulsive group of people there is. The only people more out of touch with the issues that matter to people than the politicians in DC. They treat Trump like he's the problem rather than a symptom of the disease.

given the overwhelming yes vote in the poll, where exactly do folks get their news from?
if they arent to be trusted,and allowing for bias, how do you interperet what is real and what methods do you use?

given the overwhelming yes vote in the poll, where exactly do folks get their news from?
if they arent to be trusted,and allowing for bias, how do you interperet what is real and what methods do you use?
One has to decipher their agenda or potential spin to further their narrative on certain issues as well as their track record!

Not all topics are politicized but if mainstream media in Sweden reports on immigration and LBTQ-issues, then one would be wise to not take their writings as gospel!

So in order to get a somewhat decent understanding on current affairs, it is a good move to read some decent left wing and right wing news outlets and at the same time avoid opinion pieces that basically serves as a trigger for people to amass clicks!

But regardless of political leaning, some issues are not really heavily reported on by either side, like the boots on the ground in Yemen.

One has to decipher their agenda or potential spin to further their narrative on certain issues as well as their track record!

Not all topics are politicized but if mainstream media in Sweden reports on immigration and LBTQ-issues, then one would be wise to not take their writings as gospel!

So in order to get a somewhat decent understanding on current affairs, it is a good move to read some decent left wing and right wing news outlets and at the same time avoid opinion pieces that basically serves as a trigger for people to amass clicks!

But regardless of political leaning, some issues are not really heavily reported on by either side, like the boots on the ground in Yemen.
Fair enough, as for the media it's run by folks with prejudices and agendas, amd is also consumed by people with agendas and prejudice, taking that as read, how do you know your owm bias is closer to the truth.

Fair enough, as for the media it's run by folks with prejudices and agendas, amd is also consumed by people with agendas and prejudice, taking that as read, how do you know your owm bias is closer to the truth.
That is a valid question and on issues that I lack proper knowledge on, like climate change, I try to keep an open mind, especially given its utmost importance for humanity!

As for other issues, I value freedom and independence! I know for a fact that our government is corrupt and that the politicians no matter party or leaning don’t have the people’s best interest at heart! The empiric evidence for that is gigantic!

So when I listen to state controlled media or mainstream news, I try to see what possible angle could they be pushing with this! I’m especially weary of it when they mix reporting with opinions! The days when news and occurrences are simply being reported so the people can make up their own mind on what is going on are long gone!

Media lost any sense of impartiality long ago. I don’t need some outlet that tells me what to think.

Modern new is undoubtedly a mix of facts and opinion, but I think it's always been there, there was never a time when it was just fact. As for a subject like climate I trust the comcensus of the science community, not a self serving politician who gets donations from oil companoes, in that case itsi obvious what to believe. I do find it funny that in an age of "fake news" there is a compulsive liar in the white house, and half the country is ok wiith it

I've pretty much boycotted almost all forms of western media for 3 years now and am better for it.

I don't watch news channels, and I also don't watch any Hollywood movies either, none of the MCU films, no TV shows, nothing for the last 3 years.

The news shows are often blatant lies, and don't even cover the biggest global stories, its 1000% propaganda.

As for the entertainment side, personally as an Asian, I don't really like how we're represented on western media in hollywood so I don't watch, I put my money where my mouth is. The effects of this has been mostly positive, I care less about things like social status now and view people less sterotypically. I noticed the types that fall for stereotypes more often consume more mainstream media.

I plan on continuing my boycott indefinitely, its possible that I may never consume one hollywood film or western news show for the rest of my life. Thats something that I'm proud of.

I urge others to do the same, don't like it then don't give them money. All of them, not just the ones that play identity politics with you, boycott all of them: fox, cnn, nbc, hollywood, TV shows.

What isnthe biggest global story of The last 3 years? And why wasn't it covered?

Individual writers over outlets. I don't give credence to the new York times. I give credence to Seymore Herch.

I've NEVER believed in the Pizzagate crap or "body count" as you call it.

This is what I said, "that applies perhaps even more to your loony claims about the Clinton Foundation and Haiti or to Pizzagate or Clinton Body Count CTs, etc." It applies to your loony claims ... or to (other loony claims).

Look, let's take Clinton out of the Barry Seal operation in Mena, Arkansas for a minute. Even if he had zero actual involvement or knowledge, at the very least, you had a massive CIA/DEA operation that involved massive illegal drug and guns smuggling as well as money laundering. I think the evidence shows that while it was the feds running the show, there was certainly corruption and coverups at the state level, and Clinton's hands were not completely clean in that. Feel free to disagree. Perhaps we should move on now...

Again, I think it's just you've been trained to hate the Clintons so you're open to believing crazy claims about them. That's normal, and that's why I think most people would do better to blindly trust reputable sources than to apply skepticism where they see fit.

Back