Do you consider non-athletic competitive activities to be sports?

G

Guestx

Before we go any further with this thread, I'd like to point out that I have already looked up the dictionary definition of "sport" and I understand that, by the textbook definition, a sport is athletic in nature.

But I'm really more referring to how YOU personally think about these sorts of things.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've recently started playing chess again after several years away from the game. And last night I was watching a 60 Minutes piece on Magnus Carlsen, the current world champion. In it, Charlie Rose refers to chess as a sport and it made me think of the nature of sports and whether or not games like chess should be considered "sports."

Really, chess could be substituted for anything that's not athletic, but that's fiercely competitive and that follows the same sort of trajectory of typical sports, such as hard training, and leagues and competitions. This would also include competitive Scrabble or Monopoly or spelling bees.

Personally, I think of them as more sport than not. While I do understand it's not technically correct by the textbook definition, I think it makes more sense to expand that definition than to, presumably, have to create an entirely new general term to collectively refer to these sorts of activities.

So do you look at non-athletic games as sports? If so, why? And if not, why not?

I would rather see chess as an Olympic sport instead of some of the other crap they have going.

It's a game, not a sport.

No. Games and similar activities can be competitive even noble, but they are not sports.

its beyond me how come they show

chess, poker, spelling bees, on sports networks.

Chess, Scrabble, Poker, Words With Friends, Madden, Call of Duty, gambling are not sports although they are competitive activities.

Darts, Golf, Bowling are borderline sports because they take some physical skill/hand-eye coordination. I would consider them sports even though you can have a beer while doing so.

there are some iffy stuff when it comes to non athletic sports..... arm wrestling, rubics cube competition, golf, archery, dancing...

can anything artistic in nature like figure skating, diving, or gymnastics be sports? After all, we are judging by the beauty of a performance rather than a straight competition.

Hi TS,

I moved this to the sports bar based on the subject/content.

In regards to your query, those are games by my perception, similar to billiards, darts, etc, as well. They require skills, but not athleticism.

there are some iffy stuff when it comes to non athletic sports..... arm wrestling, rubics cube competition, golf, archery, dancing...

can anything artistic in nature like figure skating, diving, or gymnastics be sports? After all, we are judging by the beauty of a performance rather than a straight competition.

I'm not sure why you would question something like diving or gymnastics? Is it because the ways to win are mostly (though not entirely) subject and judges play such a large role?

The problem I can see here is drawing a line between games and sports, as if one is not the other. After all, basketball and football are also games. . .

A thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs.

I believe you're over thinking it my friend.

Hi TS,

I moved this to the sports bar based on the subject/content.

In regards to your query, those are games by my perception, similar to billiards, darts, etc, as well. They require skills, but not athleticism.

Ah gotcha. Though I'm worried now I won't get to discuss this with my usual crowd of Mayberrians.

Also, I think you could argue that billiards and darts do require SOMETHING in regard to athleticism. After all, you have to have the perception and coordination--physical abilities--to put the ball in the hole or the dart in the bullseye. I will agree though that they're not athletic in the same way that basketball is.

Ah gotcha. Though I'm worried now I won't get to discuss this with my usual crowd of Mayberrians.

Also, I think you could argue that billiards and darts do require SOMETHING in regard to athleticism. After all, you have the perception and coordination--physical abilities--to put the ball in the hole or the dart in the bullseye. I will agree though that they're not athletic in the same way that basketball is.

I most certainly understand the point you're ultimately looking to debate, but I just think as noted you're over thinking by trying to under simplify, if that makes any sense.

There is no athletic requirement to throw a dart or hit a billiard ball that I can see. The abilities you're noting, perception and coordination here, aren't defined by athletics. Valid skills, absolutely. But hand eye ability or coordination is not directly related to athleticism, at least that I relate it to.

I actually consider some athletic competitive activities like mma not a sport as well.

Back