1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Do you consider non-athletic competitive activities to be sports?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Guestx, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Guestx Guest

I guess I've always considered a fighter's/player's coordination to definitely be a component of his/her overall athleticism. After all, it's the difference between being able to move gracefully and efficiently and bumbling all around the field, cage or ring.

2. jmac98 * Platinum Member

I did leave a temp redirect visible in Mayberry, so folks in that forum will see your thread for a little while all the same, and can click to read and be directed should they want to chime in. So you'll still get any audience at the offset wanting to converse. I know it's not the same as remaining there, however, the sports convo is to go in the sports bar, and if the Mayberrians do wish to find topics related, they can shuffle over.

Thanks for your cooperation there, just figured I'd add this for you as an FYI.

3. Guestx Guest

You'll have to explain that. . .

4. Guestx Guest

Thanks for the FYI. Although I might point out that, depending on one's perspective, this ISN'T sports conversation. . .

Do you see what I did there?

5. Revolver you sound poor

Not really much need to explain if you look at the participants involved. That's why most experts refer to it as a pseudo sport.

6. Guestx Guest

I don't understand what the participants have to do with it. I mean, kindergartners playing soccer are engaging in sport.

7. jmac98 * Platinum Member

Absolutely. But you're speaking about coordination as it pertains to an athletic accomplishment, then trying relate coordination in general as being same.

You can perform a like task in different environments and not have it transfer over the same. Like speaking. We can all speak, but that doesn't mean we're all stand up comics, motivational speakers, or professional debaters. There are additional skill sets beyond just having the ability to talk that need to be parlayed into those particular functions I noted.
    For sports then, you can have coordination, but it needs to be utilized with additional skill sets to succeed.

8. Possum Jenkins Great Replacement Belt

Filling out blank ballots in Pennsylvania
    Agreed, though I would take it a step further.

Darts, golf, bowling, billiards aren't sports because the physical exertion required is so minimal.

Baseball is a borderline sport. Unless you hit a triple, you're really not ever out of breath. This is why they can play 180, 4-hour games in a 7-month stretch.

9. NelmarksGhost Brown Belt

I don't consider card games, or board games as sports.

Golf, billiards, bowling, darts, not sports either.

A true sport should require cardio and weight training prior to competition. Or at least those who do so generally perform better.

10. Breakitdown RINGS Platinum Member

Darts, poker, nascar, bowling, UFC, soccer, etc are all games with varying levels of competitiveness. None of them could qualify as sports as the term is colloquially used.

11. Michaelangelo That doesn't work for me, brother Platinum Member

Poker > UFC

12. n...not crazy Silver Belt

Madden/COD: Playing competitively is physically challenging. They require a lot of thumb/finger quickness and coordination! The movements are small scale, but still physical.

13. Dash Superstud Small Tool Belt

Training such as you're describing can make a golfer perform better.

14. Guestx Guest

In fact, such training can even make a chessist perform better. Bobby Fischer used to talk about exercising to stay in shape to play chess. He said if you're not in good physical shape it's very difficult to endure the grueling hours just sitting at a chess board.

Skip to 4:09

15. armbarforhire Black Belt

Not judging by itself but the fact that they judge "artistic qualities" , especilly gymnastics and figure skating, I dont think diving does it.

2 girls with the exact same performance but different music will be given different scores.

That puts those sports very close to dancing competitions territory.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  16. armbarforhire Black Belt

Ballet is as physically demanding as most sports.

[​IMG]

And gymnast and figure skaters can get bigger scores for being graceful or cute in their rutines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. armbarforhire Black Belt

:rolleyes: