Do you consider Greb, Langford, Robinson, Armstrong untouchable in an alltime list?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Most historians/hardcores consider these guys THE 4 kind of immortal in some ways because it seems impossible a fighter will ever eclipse them specially with climate of this era. Some guys might put Ezzard, Duran, Benny, Pep etc into that convo strongest arguments I've heard were for Duran and Ezzard personally in that Immortal tier.

But wirh the number of fights these guys had, the quality of fighters they beat, the reigns, divisional dominance, weight jumping do u think it's likely those guys will ever be surpassed?

Just Robinson.

Anybody can be surpassed, but it's borderline impossible with those guys

I will say though, boxing was not the international sport it is today. Even during the 60s, fighters openly ducked black fighters, Cubans an eastern euros weren't allowed to fight

It would take somebody very successful and extremely popular amongst fans to surpass any of them. A big part of this ATG conversation is based on public perception.

As boxing is the sport of prize fighting, a good measure of greatness could be analyzed through total accumulation of prizes. Look no further than Money Mayweather, p4p greatest sportsman ever.

As boxing is the sport of prize fighting, a good measure of greatness could be analyzed through total accumulation of prizes. Look no further than Money Mayweather, p4p greatest sportsman ever.

When Harry Greb posts a picture like this on Instagram, then we can talk about how he stacks up with Mayweather.

Floyd_800_x_600_1.jpg

When Harry Greb posts a picture like this on Instagram, then we can talk about how he stacks up with Mayweather.

Floyd_800_x_600_1.jpg

Mufucka couldn't even afford a cell phone to post on an IG. I ain't ever seen a Greb selfie. Greb is chump change compared to real Money.

I sort of think Greb gets overrated a little, depending on who you're talking to. Yeah, he fought a lot but his record is padded with a lot of tomato cans. Yeah, he fought guys who are in the HOF but they are guys who have records that would get laughed at today. He definitely has some quality wins there, Tunney especially, but if you dig a little, the quality isn't what the Greb fanatics like to make it out to be.

Robinson and Armstrong for his unprecedented achievement.

Fans would call Armstrong a cherry picker today.

It's a null point, everyone had to cherry pick back then, you had to fight as much as possible to get paid. It was a product of the environment, every single fighter from back then could be called a cherry picker by todays standards.

It works both ways, the wins don't hold as much weight as they do today, but it balances out when you fight over 200 times, every other month.

It's a null point, everyone had to cherry pick back then, you had to fight as much as possible to get paid. It was a product of the environment, every single fighter from back then could be called a cherry picker by todays standards.
I generally see most modern fighters called cherry pickers in comparison to more "golden era" fighters, like Armstrong.

It works both ways, the wins don't hold as much weight as they do today, but it balances out when you fight over 200 times, every other month.

I've said this before, that's bullshit. I mean, you're right, that is the general view but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Fighters spar better opposition than most of those tomato cans who pad the old timer's records and most fighters today would get crucified by fans if they fought some of the nobodies that Robinson and Greb fought in between their best wins.

I sort of think Greb gets overrated a little, depending on who you're talking to. Yeah, he fought a lot but his record is padded with a lot of tomato cans. Yeah, he fought guys who are in the HOF but they are guys who have records that would get laughed at today. He definitely has some quality wins there, Tunney especially, but if you dig a little, the quality isn't what the Greb fanatics like to make it out to be.

Greb was great, no doubt, the guy was obviously a complete badass, but I always found it kind of funny that Greb had so many hardcore fans that never even saw the guy fight. It's like being a fan of an author but only by reading reviews and seeing awards they've gotten, all along never actually reading any of their books.

Floyd_800_x_600_1.jpg

Proof that Floyd's a racist. He's a white (car) supremacist.

Greb was great, no doubt, the guy was obviously a complete badass, but I always found it kind of funny that Greb had so many hardcore fans that never even saw the guy fight. It's like being a fan of an author but only by reading reviews and seeing awards they've gotten, all along never actually reading any of their books.
I've read most of the material in the guy and much of it is contradictory, especially in regards to his fighting style. I think people like to pretend they know all about him because its really sort of hard to argue against anything that is said about him.

I've read most of the material in the guy and much of it is contradictory, especially in regards to his fighting style. I think people like to pretend they know all about him because its really sort of hard to argue against anything that is said about him.

Personally, I'll never forget his 1st round KO over Frank Mantell. Mantell came out guns blazing, thinking he could intimidate the younger fighter. Ha, fat chance. Greb caught him with one of the cleanest uppercuts I have ever seen. Greb's uppercut put Mike Tyson's to shame. Still the cleanest knockout I have ever seen.

Why read about him when we all know you're one of the few people alive who had the opportunity to watch him live. Boxrec has Greb's last fight in August of 1926 in NYC, were you not able to get down there that weekend or something?

Personally, I'll never forget his 1st round KO over Frank Mantell. Mantell came out guns blazing, thinking he could intimidate the younger fighter. Ha, fat chance. Greb caught him with one of the cleanest uppercuts I have ever seen. Greb's uppercut put Mike Tyson's to shame. Still the cleanest knockout I have ever seen.
Oh yeah... I think I saw it on youtube! His style is a joy to watch. I recommend watching some of his highlights.

Why read about him when we all know you're one of the few people alive who had the opportunity to watch him live. Boxrec has Greb's last fight in August of 1926 in NYC, were you not able to get down there that weekend or something?
87147-bruce-lee-smile-gif-q9l2.gif

Guys, listening to Bert Sugar recount other peoples recollections of Greb is basically like watching live TV. Such vivid descriptions, from one of the best writing minds ever

Back