Do you buy the argument that the double weight cut affected Tony?

If it did... its not an excuse... You cant use ur own stupidity as an excuse.

Very well spoken. Stupid double weight cut

On another note, how is it that you don't wear the double yellow card unfairly awarded to you for the most epic display ever in the history of sherdorg? Serious question

Who know but it would be funny if his cutsie wootsie little publicity stunt was what cost him the fight

Stylistically Justin is simply a bad matchup for Tony. Probably wins 7/10 times without these circumstances.

Tony did look slower in there to my eyes. The double cut certainly did him no favours.

Looked slower and less output.

Could be the cut. Could be age. Could be too many wars.

New, somewhat careful, Justin with a fight plan is a tough match up regardless.

He looked slow to me as well, and kinda 'old', like a guy that hasn't warmed up properly or something. Reminded me of how Cowboy looks before he gets going. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with Gaethje shutting him down and countering everything, but cutting weight twice in a month has to affect you, everyone talks about how hard it is to cut weight, its a no brainer that doing it twice will affect performance.

Very well spoken. Stupid double weight cut

On another note, how is it that you don't wear the double yellow card unfairly awarded to you for the most epic display ever in the history of sherdorg? Serious question

It only lasts 30days

Apparently Dana said that Tony looked slow and attributed it to the weight cut 2 weeks ago.

Do you buy that?

I don't think Tony looked any slower than normal, and his gas tank looked fine.

When asked about it, Justin said that it would have affected him, but that's all he said.

Justin was hitting with fast, accurate hands, and double weight cut or not those strikes would have landed.
He looked like he was ill... It clearly affected the way he looks... Look at his face and show me any other fight in Tony's career where his face looked like he was dying of cancer after rehydrating?

I can't say it affected his performance because I truly don't know... I just know that his face looked fucking weird and he didn't look remotely close to the Tony I am used to seeing in any previous fight.

I gotta say this didnt look like tony at all no energy super slow was barley fighting.

I will say his defence was exposed he needs to not keep his hands down and start blocking instead of thinking hes gonna dodge every strike.

It definitely did. A decent coach / manager would have pumped the brakes on that stunt.

Apparently Dana said that Tony looked slow and attributed it to the weight cut 2 weeks ago.

Do you buy that?

I don't think Tony looked any slower than normal, and his gas tank looked fine.

When asked about it, Justin said that it would have affected him, but that's all he said.

Justin was hitting with fast, accurate hands, and double weight cut or not those strikes would have landed.
It's not only the weigth cut, though it was stupid as heel to do this 2 weeks prior to the fight.
IMHO his biggest issue is that he peaked 2 weeks prior. He was overtrained and burned out when the time of the fight came.

it happens, especially when the event move dates like that. Add the change of opponents (which means most of your training is also out the window) and I think it was just not a good night for Tony.

Im speaking from a little tiny bit of experience as I compete in boxing (amateur), I think the double training camp hurt him more. The human body is just not meant to be worked like how these guys prepare for a fight, and to be doing it for what 5 months give or take Tony had to prepare? That's too much.

I know he for sure took days off and rested but just that abuse on the body for more than 2 months is just not good.

Tony probably hit his peak fighting form a long time ago, once you hit that it's going to be tricky to maintain for a very long time, little injuries happen, bumps and bruises add up, etc

I buy it but I also don't think that is Justin's problem if Tony wanted to be a dumbass. Take nothing away from the W.

Im speaking from a little tiny bit of experience as I compete in boxing (amateur), I think the double training camp hurt him more. The human body is just not meant to be worked like how these guys prepare for a fight, and to be doing it for what 5 months give or take Tony had to prepare? That's too much.

I know he for sure took days off and rested but just that abuse on the body for more than 2 months is just not good.

Tony probably hit his peak fighting form a long time ago, once you hit that it's going to be tricky to maintain for a very long time, little injuries happen, bumps and bruises add up, etc
I totally agree with you, very well said. I had the exact same feeling, Tony has been in camp for AGES!!!!!!!!!!!! his camp went on and on and on and on and on, and then the opponents were switched and with a different style, and he did 2 big weight cuts.. but I feel more than anything he looked over-trained and totally burnt out. He was so flat.

I don't believe Tony takes any time of at all, he is a very intense person, and anyone who has trained with him said he never stops and is so intense. Over-training is very dangerous, not only will you pick up injuries because of it, but you can burn out and then that always leads too being flat and not letting go.

When I have seen fighters who said they were over-trained, their fights always look the same, they are very flat like they have no energy and they don't let go, so tentative and hesitant ... it seemed like I was watching that with Tony

giphy.gif

No. The Tony that fought Pettis is the same Tony that fought Gaethje. Except Gaethje has more power and at this point in his career a far superior fighter. Gaethje is a bad matchup and Tony has slowed. The Tony that fucked up RDA might have beaten Gaethje

Weight cutting is bad enough so doing it twice in a relatively short period was never a good idea. He should have abandoned it as soon as Khabib fell through. It is highly likely to have weakened him more than normal but that's on him for doing it.

If you flat say it made no difference then you're just being stupid.

Patient Gaethje put a wrench in Tony's plans. He probably expected to go in there and Gaethje and him would brawl then his chin would win the battle. But Gaethje picked him apart and avoided brawling.

Tony's mental health (or lack of) is what cost him this fight. Guy's head looked like it was spinning when he was walking to the octagon.

Back