Do you buy the argument that the double weight cut affected Tony?

If it did negatively affect him dont you think his chin would have been compromised? IMO, it had no impact.

No, I think it was just a bad style matchup. Tony's unorthodox breakdance fighting style wasn't working against Justin's boxing.

It definitely didn’t help. To me, though, the worst part of this story was Dana criticizing it afterward, saying how bad it is to cut weight twice in three weeks. Ironic, coming from someone who expects the guys on TUF to do it like four times in 10 weeks or whatever, and suggests that anyone who struggles with it obviously doesn’t want to be a f***ing fighter.

Nah. Chris Leben did it. He made a weight cut and TKO'd Aaron Simpson. Less than three weeks later he stepped in on late notice and made another weight cut to tap Sexyama with a triangle after an absolute back and forth fire fight.

I don't buy it.

if u dont think it had any effect on him, u should look into other sports

I think it did. I hope he quits doing shit like that and finishes his career strong. He is still a great fighter.

I think most people knew it would have some level of effect. But it's doubtful it made a difference in the outcome but it's impossible to really know.

Yep it affected him + he was preparing for a wrestler with shit striking and ended up with gaethje

He looked like Tony to me. He was fast and accurate but just fought a guy that countered everything he did and stayed on his legs. Everyone has a kryptonite.

It definitely didn’t help. To me, though, the worst part of this story was Dana criticizing it afterward, saying how bad it is to cut weight twice in three weeks. Ironic, coming from someone who expects the guys on TUF to do it like four times in 10 weeks or whatever, and suggests that anyone who struggles with it obviously doesn’t want to be a f***ing fighter.
most of the guys on tuf never fight at their actual fight weight. i cant think of very many that did.

Normally the number one thing we see from guys badly impacted by weight cuts is the deterioration of their durability. They get cracked easily and finished. That certainly wasn’t the case with Tony.

Despite what others are saying, I don’t think Tony looked any different from what he normally does. Justin was simply better. Tony couldn’t steamroll him like he has everyone else, because Justin kept hitting him with powerful shots.

Prior to the fight I had thought the double weight cut might have had an impact on Tony, but after watching the fight, I don’t think it did.

Tony doing the fight camp and weight cut for the Khabib fight would mean that he had peaked for that fight, which never happened, so, yes it would've affected him a good deal.

Anyone with a background in fighting would tell you the same.

It very likely did affect Toney but Its likely it wasn't to the extent in which its the deciding factor on why he lost.

No Gaethje wins that fight majority of the time

tony would have done much better with better coaching and game plan tho

Sure it played a role. Justin has just elivated his game and is a style problem that beats a 1 weight cut Tony 8 or 9 times out of 10. But the two weight cuts made it a bit more one sided most likely.

Back