• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Buy Food From Street Vendors

When I was a kid, my dad would take me downtown Pittsburgh every now & then, to go visit his a co-worker of his who had a my-aged son I was buddies with.

We'd always park in the same ramp and walk a couple blocks... there was always this street vendor Korean dude that made the best kalbi short rib on a stick.

One of my favorite memories a a youngster.

I live in the burbs now, no street vendors to speak of

grew up on the east coast of the US and every friday my old man would take me down to the docks when the fishing boats came in for the day.

we'd buy fresh bay scallops, blue fish or even slabs of white tail shark and go home to grill or saute it.

sometimes, I'd even get to go on the boats. my dad even let me go on a six month 'fishing' trip with one of the captains and his crew.

had no idea what 'cabin boy' meant, but the captain and all the mates would bend me to the task night after night.

what an adventure.

Last edited:
I like the concept but it's just not much of a thing where I live. There's one within walking distance of me, but it's not the best and there's usually just one or two trucks. And then there are some downtown. One of the great things about East/Southeast Asia, such as Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc. is all of the incredible street food. They also have it more in Europe and many parts of the world. I'm sure some US cities have a better scene, but Boston isn't really one of them.

No. My mom used to tell me that the meat they use comes from stray cats and dogs.

I only started doing it once I lived in germany for a bit. Surely Germans arent shady like us.
Never been a shady German in the history of the world

Food is food, whether they make it inside a building or outside or in a truck.

But I generally do not buy from, for example, a stranger at the laundromat .

Back