Opinion Do you believe Pitbulls are genetically the most dangerous dog?

Do you believe Pitbulls are genetically the most dangerous dog?

• Total voters

Pitbulls lead in attacks and deaths.

The 7 breeds that "are thought" to committ the most attacks.

People think the dogs that are attacking them are pitbulls because of sterotypes. AKA doggie racism.

Theres also some truth to jk7707s hypothesis. Theres a certain type of person who buys a dog to "look tough" and to intimidate the people around them. And today those people are buying pitbulls.

The 7 breeds that "are thought" to committ the most attacks.

People think the dogs that are attacking them are pitbulls because of sterotypes. AKA doggie racism.

Theres also some truth to jk7707s hypothesis. Theres a certain type of person who buys a dog to "look tough" and to intimidate the people around them. And today those people are buying pitbulls.

Yet if you keep reading you will see the deaths that were reported, 65% were pits. Rottties we're on second place at 10%

Yet if you keep reading you will see the deaths that were reported, 65% were pits. Rottties we're on second place at 10%

But do the people reporting KNOW what breed it is. Whats the proof here besides a persons word? Its like picking someone out of a lineup except with dogs. Eyewitness idenification in court is seen as the weakest form of testimony. Why are we treating it like gospel here? In some cases its obvious what a breed is in other cases it is not. And there are a lot of breeds that kinda look like pitbulls but are something else that might be part pitbull with a mixture of a,b and c.

What are mutts reported as? Mutts? No most mutts are reported by whatever they look the closest to. Whose verifying what these dogs are?

But do the people reporting KNOW what breed it is. Whats the proof here besides a persons word? In some cases its obvious what a breed is in other cases it is not. And there are a lot of breeds that kinda look like pitbulls but are something else that might be part pitbull with a mixture of a,b and c.

What are mutts reported as? Mutts? No most mutts are reported by whatever they look the closest to. Whose verifying what these dogs are?

You do know when someone is killed they do an investigation at the crime scene right? Someone getting maul and killed by a dog are usually identified by animal control during investigation. Unless you believe they don't know how to identify dogs they work with daily.

Now if you're talking about the public identifying wrong breeds I'm with you, heck even people who just got bit, but people who actually were killed by said dog, sorry i believe they identified the correct breed.

It's mind boggling people don't understand this.

But do the people reporting KNOW what breed it is. Whats the proof here besides a persons word? Its like picking someone out of a lineup except with dogs. Eyewitness idenification in court is seen as the weakest form of testimony. Why are we treating it like gospel here? In some cases its obvious what a breed is in other cases it is not. And there are a lot of breeds that kinda look like pitbulls but are something else that might be part pitbull with a mixture of a,b and c.

I can't imagine them going to the trouble of doing genetic analysis with the AKC to confirm breed.

The percentages are so high that even taking potential mistaken identity into account Pitbulls are still by far the most dangerous dogs out there.

And yeah if the dog is a mix of a Pitbull and a Labrador that is attacking someone it's the Pitbull genetics causing that, not the Labrador.

I can't imagine them going to the trouble of doing genetic analysis with the AKC to confirm breed.

The percentages are so high that even taking potential mistaken identity into account Pitbulls are still by far the most dangerous dogs out there.

And yeah if the dog is a mix of a Pitbull and a Labrador that is attacking someone it's the Pitbull genetics causing that, not the Labrador.

This. It's crazy people don't get huh?

Sherdog taught me this is the most underrated culture war issue. Like pitbull owners and haters straight up willing to go to war and no one talks about it.
Adding to the confusion, you have rightists and leftists on both sides of the aisle.

It's not so neatly divided politically speaking.

Yea but it wouldn't be that much worse than Rottweilers and no one says shit about them.

IIRC, something like 90%+ of attacks are from intact males. My pitbull is fixed and 15 years old now, and he's attacked nobody. I'm also a member of the central South Dakota chapter of Patriots for Pitties, and no one's dog in that group or in any group we've ever worked with has attacked a soul.

People who want to ban pitbulls also want to ban guns. Molon labe, motherfuckers

I voted "Not sure"

Because I would rank Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Cane Corso, Caucasian Ovcharka, Bull Mastiff as more dangerous than pitbulls just because these breeds can be much larger and stronger.

A Pitbull is still has great capacity to inflict serious injury but the above breeds are scarier.

I voted "Not sure"

Because I would rank Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Cane Corso, Caucasian Ovcharka, Bull Mastiff as more dangerous than pitbulls just because these breeds can be much larger and stronger.

A Pitbull is still has great capacity to inflict serious injury but the above breeds are scarier.

That's kinda where I fall. The difference is that I'd wager (although I don't have statistics in front of me) that there are millions more pitbulls/mixes in the US than all those breeds combined. Although as I noted earlier the Cane Corso fad on social media has led to a surge in demand for that breed, and I bet a surge of attacks as well.

Yea but it wouldn't be that much worse than Rottweilers and no one says shit about them.
Rottweilers have always had a bad wrap in my experiences. I've always been leery of them since I was a kid, I was taught that.

Pitbulls are made to fight and are dangerous. No matter how many anecdotes, gaslights, or manipulated statistics you throw to try to make these dogs seem like they are for babysitting or nanny, you cannot deny the reality that this breed is built to fight and inflict harm.
This.... I grew up with dogs and love dogs... but that breed is very quirky and unpredictable. I would be happy if they went away as a breed

Despite the obsession with them . It doesnt appear to be rooted in reality here in Australia. Sadly there's been a few dog attacks that have made news lately in Australia and they've run the entire gambit from infants beinged mauled. 40 year man being killed. Woman almost losing both arms to her two etc etc etc.

[ rottweilers . Staffy. Cattle dog / ridgeback Mastiff ]

RSPCA Victoria has collected data on the number of dogs (by breed) seized by councils and brought to their metropolitan shelters in Melbourne in the last financial year. These show that larger working breeds are more likely than other breeds of dog to be seized by council officers for menacing and/or dangerous behaviour but only two out of the total of 110 were pit bulls. In fact there were 95 dogs of 13 other breeds more commonly
seized than pit bulls. Nationally, there have been at least 33 dog attack deaths in Australia since 1979, but apart from the dog that killed Ayen Chol, only one other dog has been described as a pit bull cross.

The fear and increased scrutiny of the breed doesn't hold up for me here

the breeds of dog (in order of decreasing severity ranking) involved in dog attacks in South
Australia across two reporting periods. The report highlights two important points: first, most of the breeds involved in attacks are not covered in BSL; and second, the relationship between dog attacks and breed is inconsistent over time.

Rotts are at 10% compared to pits at 65% of deaths, that probably has something to do with it. Regardless, sad either way that those people were killed.

Rotts are at 10% compared to pits at 65% of deaths, that probably has something to do with it. Regardless, sad either way that those people were killed.
Yea but pits are composed of multiple breeds including mixes and dogs that even look like pits. It's sort of nonsense when data is compiled that.

On their own, pits and Rotties are comparable. Pits would still be ahead though make no mistake.

Yea but pits are composed of multiple breeds including mixes and dogs that even look like pits. It's sort of nonsense when data is compiled that.

On their own, pits and Rotties are comparable. Pits would still be ahead though make no mistake.

Sorry, not nonsense to believe that the mix dog got temperament from the pits side. A golden retriever mixed with a pit that mauls and kills someone, I'm going to say it was the pitt side not the golden retriever.

I would say the same thing for the rottie too.

I think the big thing with Pit Bulls when you compare to Rottweilers is you either think they are wonderful innocent babies or evil soulless killers. And said 2 groups feed off each others energy.

Rottweilers are what they are in the eyes of most people.

Back