Do people who are pretty tall have crappier stamina?

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've heard this, and being taller myself, although I'm no Yao Ming (I'm 6'3") I feel I have to work hard to hang conditioning wise with shorter people. I'm alright, I can run a few miles, get through a moderate workout or roll fine, but I just don't like the way I always feel like I need more recouperation time than others. It seems to me that with a longer circulatory system for your heart to pump blood through, it could be harder on you and affect your stamina more than shorter people. Is there any truth to this?

nah i dont think thats the problem... blood gets pumped pretty fast and a couple of inches of height will not effect the speed of blood much at all. IF there was something dealing with height and conditioning id say it was because of lack of nutrients in your larger body and perhaps you are comparing yourself to people who are shorter but still weigh the same. In this case these guys do have more muscle per pound.

Hmm. That makes sense. Perhaps another contributing factor might be range of motion though, I think. If not your circulation working harder, than certainly you have to do half again the movements of a shorter guy. Imagine a short guy and a tall guy doing squats, yes they are proportionately traveling an equal distance compared to their respective bodies, but the actual distance is still greater. So if a tall guy tried to keep up, speed wise, with every squat the short guy did, he would be working pretty damn hard since he has farther to travel. The picture I have here is Yao Ming and Mugsy Bogues in a speed squat competion. Yao, would have a heart attack. I feel like I notice this effect when trying to keep up with a shorter person's movements in sparring.

I'm 6'3 and I used to have problems with cardio, but I worked on it. You can run a couple miles? Make it four or five. Also, reevaluate your diet. Suggestion: Dr. Ryan Parson's alkaline diet helped my recovery time. Even though I prefer to not go the route of extreme dieting, introducing more greens and an alkalizing supplement worked wonders for me.

I feel like I do have to work 25% harder than my shorter gym mates to maintain the same pace, but that's the trade you make for a larger frame.

earthman32 said:
I'm 6'3 and I used to have problems with cardio, but I worked on it. You can run a couple miles? Make it four or five. Also, reevaluate your diet. Suggestion: Dr. Ryan Parson's alkaline diet helped my recovery time. Even though I prefer to not go the route of extreme dieting, introducing more greens and an alkalizing supplement worked wonders for me.

I feel like I do have to work 25% harder than my shorter gym mates to maintain the same pace, but that's the trade you make for a larger frame.

Thanks for that. It's hard to run consistently where I live, but I will try to push my cardio more as it seems to have helped you out. I never did eat my greens either, haha. Good to know there is something to my little theory, guess I'll just have to work harder to keep the little man down. Pun intended.

I don't think so, look at all those point and two guards in basketball. The Suns ran pretty much the whole game season long and into the playoffs. Rip Hamilton is 6'5 and he is always moving.

I"m 6'4 and have not found that my size affects my stamina levels. My diet, training, and passion do.

if you work hard at it, youll have good stamina.

Nah I don't think so. Eat clean and you should be fine. I feel that being tall will effect how much weight you can put up as theres a greater range of motion though.

I'm 6'2 and my stamina's off the hook and my recuperation time is quick and I run only about 25 every day or two. Keep working at it.

Back