Do people overlook the fact that TJ has still only beaten 1 top fighter?

That top fight also happened to be one of p4p kings with Fedor-level unbeaten streak... and TJ dominated him, twice

Cruz is not highly ranked in the division and Barao is leagues ahead of Assuncao and Faber

Er, what? Evidence for the bolded? Assuncao kind of did better against TJ and never fought Barao...

The Faber thing you'd have an argument for since Barao beat him, but Faber might also match up better stylistically against TJ and would at least present a different challenge.

if this discussion was first brought up the first time he beat barao, yeah. but he fought soto and barao again and won pretty convincingly. he's as legit as they come and i am sure he will step up to anyone.

Er, what? Evidence for the bolded? Assuncao kind of did better against TJ and never fought Barao...

The Faber thing you'd have an argument for since Barao beat him, but Faber might also match up better stylistically against TJ and would at least present a different challenge.

While at the end of the day, I admit wins and losses are what matters and that two fighters who haven't met in the cage can't really be compared, but Barao on his worst day should be a 10 to 1 favorite over Assuncao.

Well, I tend not to value a second win over the same guy as much
I don't think there is anything wrong with this, but it sort of answers your thread.

When fighting against a guy with such a huge win streak, some people chalk a single win up to chance (especially when TJ has looked mortal, previously). A second dominant win means total validation. TJ twice dispatching an elite guy like Barao, leapfrogs the handiwork of some other new champs, in their eyes.

As to who is right? Time will tell.

People who put TJ over the other champs on their P4P list. It's a discussion forum where people question each other's opinions all the time, what's your problem with this thread in particular? Maybe you should stick to your 'rankings don't matter' shtick.
Best P4P isn't about the most accomplished, it's about who is the best. RDA and Lawler are more accomplished (which frankly is a bit unfair to even compare considering how much more experience they have), but TJ is just better than them. If it were about accomplishments, Anderson would still be ranked ahead of basically everyone on P4P rankings.

The people who rank TJ ahead of Lawler and RDA are doing it based on his skill set, not his accomplishments.

dominated the guy who terrorized the division for years prior to their matchup.

twice. second finish more impressive than the first...

that seems like enough to consider TJ legit IMO

Its regarded so highly because Barao is a bad mother fucker and is regarded very highly. TJ rightfully deserves to be highly placed in the p4p.

Wasn't TS going for Barao in the rematch? Lol. Typical "My guy lost so now I'll discredit his opponent" thread

First of all, I don't really agree with the premise of this thread. TJ still has a lot of doubters. A lot of people think Cruz beats him and I see a good amount of people that think he'd lose to MM or Dodson if they moved up, so I'm not sure what you're basing this more established nonsense on. Another point worth noting though is the lack of depth at BW. It's an extremely thin division and so outside of possibly Cruz, there just doesn't seem to be many legit threats to TJ's belt at the moment. So he appears to have a higher chance of staying on top than some of those guys in more competitive divisions.

Yeah but it's still one guy, he hasn't proven himself against a variety of opponents like every other current champion so it seems weird to rate him over them.

Weidman faced the same shit with Silva. People will shit on TJ until he beats 2-3 other guys not named Barao.

Actually wait, people still shit on Weidman....So I guess TJ will be forever fucked.lol

Tj is the man and looked great recently his resume will improve as he fights I feel few ppl stand to him as major threats. Maybe frankie or Dodson, I feel cruz still might be able to be top dog, he looked good his last fight. The longer it takes tj and cruz to fight the more I see it favor tj.

Tj has proven he has the ability to be champ I just want to see him fight different styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back