Do PEDs discredit entire careers or only in popped fights?

Discredit career or only popped fights

• Total voters

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Should PEDs discredit entire careers or should they only discredit the fights they popped in?

There's no proof of use of entire career generally, shouldn't it be innocent until proven guilty?

Entire careers.

You don’t do top level international sports for a decade, and then just wake up one day and decide to do peds. That shit starts very early on. Probably while still considered an amateur for most of them. That’s my opinion.

Fights they popped in. In many cases fighters use ped’s to assist in rehabilitating serious injuries. Or from “tainted” supplements or ones given to you by a coach or trainer that have trace amounts of something on a ban list. I’m not here to say PED’s should just be swept under the rug I’m just saying it’s a more complicated isssue than many of you make it seem. It isn’t just cut and dry and in many cases it comes down to isolated situations or legitimate reasons like Anderson’s leg break.

Last edited:
I had to go with popped fights. I still try to go with the thoughts of innocent unless proven guilty.

After popping two or three times though I'd think they'd have to be just banned from competing.

Fights they popped in. In many cases fighters use ped’s to assist in rehabilitating serious injuries. Or from “tainted” supplements or ones given to you by a coach or trainer that have trace amounts of something on a ban list. I’m not here to say PED’s should just be swept under the rug I’m just saying it’s a more complicated isssue than many of you make it seem. It isn’t just cut and dry and in many cases it comes down to isolated situations or legitimate reasons like Anderson’s leg break.

I think that's what happened with silver...that he started after his serious leg break against weidman. since silver never relied on his power, strength or even speed, steroids wouldn't do much anyways...he won fights with his technique...and please, don't give me this crap of "but it allows you to train more" that's total bullcrap. guys are going to train the same amount of time, whether using or not. the only people steroids would benefit are the guys that rely in speed...with jones, it could help his wrestling, takedowns, etc....but silver didn't rely on any of that.

Assuming you're an ultra competitive human. . . Imagine you compete against someone at 'x' sport 19 times. Now, imagine this individual beats you 19 times, but during that 19th match, you discover this individual was cheating. Would you not question the validity of everything that came before?

Career, because not testing positive doesn't mean you weren't using PEDs. I mean, Lance Armstrong never tested positive and dude was doping the whole time.

Entire careers.

You don’t do top level international sports for a decade, and then just wake up one day and decide to do peds. That shit starts very early on. Probably while still considered an amateur for most of them. That’s my opinion.

As a rule, I'd guess your description is accurate but in fairness, I don't think it's inconceivable or irrational for someone to work his way up the ranks fighting clean, hit a ceiling and realise he needs an illegal advantage to move up further.

I think it depends on how you view the sport. It's also case by case.

Take Ken Shamrock, for example. He admits to being juiced up, but a LOT of guys he fought were juiced, too. In his day, it was part of the culture.

Then, there's TJ Dillashaw, who tried to portray himself as a clean athlete, but he was deliberately taking EPO for a very long time. His is an example where you can safely discredit his career accomplishments.

Back