• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do Mikey Triangles and Aesopian still post anywhere?

this place gets boring after a while... the same threads pop up over and over

"I just got Blue Belt YAY ME!"
"I beat up a homeless guy with my BJJ yay me"
"I hate the Gracies too YAY ME!"
"Berimbolo is the secret to good BJJ"
"I Love Pulling Guard!!"
"Gracie BJJ doesn't work!"

etc

The truth.

I try to get on here every couple months and see what's new. Running the school has had me pretty busy the past few years. Also now that I've been teaching in the same place for a while a bunch of my students are starting to compete on a world scale against tougher and tougher competition in the UFC and elsewhere, so these new challenges have been absorbing the majority of my time recently. That, and these forums aren't the greatest in mobile format (at least on my phone most of the time). I mostly post on Facebook now. I kind of miss the old days though.

I used to post here as, inter alia, 100%Jiu-Jitsu and Ronin Modern. I had some of the most fun of my entire life stirring up trouble on F12 (e.g., Exotic Heel Hooks, Double de la Riva), and I also learned a tremendous amount about jiu-jitsu. I'm grateful, in particular, for Zankou's insights about playing butterfly guard efficiently, as well as his broader thoughts about the sociology and pedagogy of BJJ.

I originally registered for these forums back in 2006, but after losing my primary account I spent the last several years away, focusing on other (more important) things in life. It makes me sad to realize that F12 is no longer as vibrant as I remember it. Even when I was gone, it brought me pleasure to imagine that all the usual characters were up to their normal shenanigans here.

It's hard to accept that the world has moved on from forums like these. Social media do not foster the odd sense of community that I enjoyed so much during the golden days of F12 and Bullshido.

I remember when Aesopian was a white belt and J-Lau was just another one of my semi-pseudonymous forum friends. The night he knocked out Jens Pulver, it felt like my brother, my dad, and I were practically the only people in the crowd cheering for him. I don't think Instagram or Reddit will ever deliver an experience like that.

Shoutouts to Drew Foster, Uchi Mata, Calibur, Cash Bill, SuperSomethingOrOtherRambo, Dirty Holt, Balto, DanTheWolfMan, Einarr, BJJ_Rage, pseudo genki, deadlizard, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Thanks for all the memories, guys.

Oh man! I remember your double de la riva thread ahahahah. A true gem and classy trolling piece :D.

By the way it seems to me that nowadays F12 isn't all that dead. Not as populated as in the past, sure, but we still have good/decent discussions pretty regularly.. I still check this forum way more than the Bjj subreddit..

Back