Do I HAVE to bench?

Nice first post C-DAWG.

I'm also recommending you try close grips for a while Colonel. Put your index fingers right at the edge of the knurling. You'll have to reduce the weight at first, but the new movement pattern should breathe new life into your gains. Once it stalls out, widen your grip again and give it another go.

But to answer your question, NO, you don't HAVE to do bench press, but don't neglect all horizontal pushing.

Like others have said, it is probably not necessary. But your reason for quitting is not good. I am the same size as you and my bench stalled around that same weight for years.

Try floor press and/or board press for stalling in the middle. Also, I have found dumbbell bench and 1-arm dumbbell bench to be quite helpful.

use less weight and work on your form. i wouldn't give it up unless you absolutely have to due to injuries.

I try to add weight every lift, but typically end up adding weight (5lbs) every other week.

Try to add weight each workout, especially if you're a beginner.

Keith Wassung -- I'm almost positive it was him -- recommended investing in some smaller plates, like 1.25lb ones and smaller, to enable you to continue making gains, even it it's 0.5lb a session (Rippetoe makes the same recommendation in Starting Strength, but I heard it from Keith first so he gets the credit). I think New York Barbell is the standard choice on these forums for ordering equipment.

If you lift in a commercial gym, paint the plates an abnormal color and engrave your name/initials on them so you don't get accused of stealing them.

Try to add weight each workout, especially if you're a beginner.

Keith Wassung -- I'm almost positive it was him -- recommended investing in some smaller plates, like 1.25lb ones and smaller, to enable you to continue making gains, even it it's 0.5lb a session (Rippetoe makes the same recommendation in Starting Strength, but I heard it from Keith first so he gets the credit). I think New York Barbell is the standard choice on these forums for ordering equipment.

If you lift in a commercial gym, paint the plates an abnormal color and engrave your name/initials on them so you don't get accused of stealing them.

Not a bad tip at all. Thanks.

I remember once when I brought my backpack to the gym to do weighted push-ups. I think I saw some weird looks as I put plates into it. :icon_chee

i get looks everytime i bring my backpack to the gym for pullups

Lying down is for hookers and corpses.

Good one. I also always prefer the exercises one does standing up. Lying down for an exercise always throws me out of my training groove.

The bench press is notorious for requiring a lot of patience and perserverence. You dont improve 10 kg every month in my experience if u improve 10KG a year and stay the same body weight thats good.

My first bench when i was 16 was 26 kg (60 pounds) at a body weight of 150 ilbs.

Im now 24 and weight 165 ilbs and bench 255lbs for 5 reps and im very pleased with that as I have always done cardio 4-5 times a week of 30 min sessions and sometimes 1 hour intense sesssions as well as judo.

I realise that isnt much on these pages but like me u got to perservere

In grappling I would think pushing strength would be more important for keeping posture when in someone's guard than for benching someone off of you.

Edit: Didn't notice this is a ressrected thread.

forum-necromancy!.jpg

try cycling different pressing excercises each session. what ive found works for me is every week go for a personal best for a different pressing excercise. ill cycle floor presses, overhead presses, incline presses, weighted dips, and push presses every week. by the time an excercise comes around again, its 2-3 weeks later and you've already set a few PRs in other presses, so chances are you can add some weight. its good for the ego as well to add weight to an excercise every time you do it, plus you are actually excited to perform the movement since its been weeks since you've done it.

another similar, though very different method of cycling movements is this. start by creating a list of proper compound presses. dont go crazy, but a good 4 or 5 will do. i personally cycle floor press, flat bench, incline bench, overhead press, and push presses. pick a movement to train and use it for every pressing session until you stall, then substitute a different press for the next session. stick with it as long as you are making progress. once you stall, move to the next one on the list.....

try cycling different pressing excercises each session. what ive found works for me is every week go for a personal best for a different pressing excercise. ill cycle floor presses, overhead presses, incline presses, weighted dips, and push presses every week. by the time an excercise comes around again, its 2-3 weeks later and you've already set a few PRs in other presses, so chances are you can add some weight. its good for the ego as well to add weight to an excercise every time you do it, plus you are actually excited to perform the movement since its been weeks since you've done it.

another similar, though very different method of cycling movements is this. start by creating a list of proper compound presses. dont go crazy, but a good 4 or 5 will do. i personally cycle floor press, flat bench, incline bench, overhead press, and push presses. pick a movement to train and use it for every pressing session until you stall, then substitute a different press for the next session. stick with it as long as you are making progress. once you stall, move to the next one on the list.....

You don't HAVE to, but IMO it's one of the better upper body exercises.

Wait wait wait wait.....You're suppose to keep your elbows in when you bench??!?!

Well it depends on your goals, really. If you're going to be competing in powerlifting, I would suggest that you bench

Benching gets monotonous. Throw in stuff that will supplement your bench and lay off the benching for a while. Close grip, floor presses, board presses, and rack lockouts are a good distraction. All of these exercises are working the mid range and up.

If you get really adventurous, and give up that 5x5 junk, get some chains. Its the best way to work that mid range.

Good one. I also always prefer the exercises one does standing up. Lying down for an exercise always throws me out of my training groove.

i feel the exact same way....whenever i lay down on the bench i cant help but to yawn and it really throws me off

Back