Do I have good cardio or am I just a glutten for punishment?

Ice That Jaw

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So I am a bit of an alcoholic these days but I always run 2 times a week. The thing that bothers me is that I see these people running and running but they never seem to break a sweat. And it seems like they running pretty vigorously.

So I have a routine where I run a 9min mile and than put the incline to max and run as long as I can which is usually only about 2 mins. Then I speedrope until I basically break down.

I figure I am just a glutten for punishment since I can never run without breaking a serious sweat. It's just not possible for me.

Do I have shitty cardio or am I just pushing myself too much?

Shitty cardio. Keep working on it brah.

Yea I guess I figured.

I am basically a poor mans Chuck Liddell. It's pretty ironic actually since I am the same height, have the same reach he has listed and look exactly like him in his worst fighting shape.

I have great muscle definition everywhere except my abs and I party too much. But I am fast and I have absolutely no problem pushing myself to the limit everytime and anytime I workout.

I guess I just need to quit drinking and get consistent. The only problem is that I feel even more ready to party after a good workout.

So a 7:15(my average) min mile is bad for someone my size?

You just went from a 9 min/mile to a 7:15 min/mile. A 7:15 min/mile is actually pretty good.

You just went from a 9 min/mile to a 7:15 min/mile. A 7:15 min/mile is actually pretty good.

Well I run the 9min mile to get my heart and lungs worked up then I imediately raise the incline to about 12.0 and run as long as I can on that which is about 2 or 3 mins max since running on a steep incline is just about as stressful as it gets, at least imo. ( I've done burpees but running on a 40+ degree angle is brutal beyond recognition to me)

But on no incline I average around 7:15. My best was 6:50 but that was on a track and it was 110% on a good day.

The last time I ran it was 7:20 something on a treadmill. I was sweating ballz and outta breath though.

I feel your pain on this, only time I've ever been able to run long distance was when I was in the military, and still after a few fast miles I was useless. I don't feel I have bad cardio though. The way I measure my cardio is from sparring. I might not be doing 7 minute miles, but I can stay active for 3 hard round. I do a whole lot of swimming and biking, since running really kills me. I still try to knock out at least 2 miles a day. Always keep pushing yourself, theres never a downside to running, except knee replacements :icon_chee

I can sweat driving my car with the windows down in 30 degree F weather while wearing a T-shirt, and I have always been that way. It kinda sucks.

I would not base how good your cardio is by how much you sweat.

You need to quit drinking and eat well. Alcohol will drag you down. You should also try running outside on the ground a lot for a few weeks, then the treadmill will seem like a joke. Also, pay attention to your stride make sure you are not getting too much vertical movement.

Periodize your running. Instead of dumping whatever you have left into a nebulous last ditch uphill effort, focus on incrementally adding to your distance and speed. If you ran a mile in 9 minutes, shave 10 seconds off your time, or add .1 mile to your distance, depending on your goals.

"silver platter" "look at me" "DAFS" post much?

if you want to run like those runners, then run exactly like them. everday.

you guys can't attack his drinking so much. i read an article on this crack addict that would win endurance races all the time. he entered what he thought was a 5k, turned out to be WAY more, like 25k or something... and he won it. ain't life a bitch?

"silver platter" "look at me" "DAFS" post much?

if you want to run like those runners, then run exactly like them. everday.

you guys can't attack his drinking so much. i read an article on this crack addict that would win endurance races all the time. he entered what he thought was a 5k, turned out to be WAY more, like 25k or something... and he won it. ain't life a bitch?

I have shin splints tho so I literally cannot run everyday, even if I wanted to. And I have tried and ended up with shins so sore it actually made me grimmace in pain when I would walk stairs.

I run twice a week cuz Im lazy and I drink too much but that will never change(the running twice a week, not drinking). I am hoping to increase my cardio to running twice a week and using the eliptical/jumprope the other day since I am beast at the speedrope.

I need to lift weights also but its hard doing it because my main goal is losing weight and for some reason I feel like I need to over-eat every time I lift heavy. When I do lift I try to go for all the compunds in one go so deads, bench, overhead, squats, and rows.

Last edited:
I figure I am just a glutten for punishment since I can never run without breaking a serious sweat. It's just not possible for me.

I'm on the track Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays doing speed and agility drills and sprints. Come join me in Arizona, I'll make sure you sweat.

So I am a bit of an alcoholic these days but I always run 2 times a week. The thing that bothers me is that I see these people running and running but they never seem to break a sweat. And it seems like they running pretty vigorously.

There are definitely individual differences in how much you sweat, so to some extent it may be you.

However, it might just be because of the way you are running. A short warmup followed by a hill may not be the right way to get a sweat going.

Also, if you are drinking alcohol a lot there is a good chance that you are dehydrated, which will make you sweat less.

Well I run the 9min mile to get my heart and lungs worked up then I imediately raise the incline to about 12.0 and run as long as I can on that which is about 2 or 3 mins max since running on a steep incline is just about as stressful as it gets, at least imo. ( I've done burpees but running on a 40+ degree angle is brutal beyond recognition to me)

But on no incline I average around 7:15. My best was 6:50 but that was on a track and it was 110% on a good day.

The last time I ran it was 7:20 something on a treadmill. I was sweating ballz and outta breath though.

FYI if you kept up that pace for 10-20 minutes or a hour, that would be good yes. But not for 2-3 minutes.
I appreciate you're on a incline, but maybe you should try to keep the level at something managable and get a good average speed out of that (say 7 min 30) for 30-45 minutes.

edit- I sweat like a pedo in a playground after about 5 minutes.
It's purely genetic, but the fitter you are, the more efficient you body becomes at cooling itself down=more sweat sooner.

FYI if you kept up that pace for 10-20 minutes or a hour, that would be good yes. But not for 2-3 minutes.
I appreciate you're on a incline, but maybe you should try to keep the level at something managable and get a good average speed out of that (say 7 min 30) for 30-45 minutes.

edit- I sweat like a pedo in a playground after about 5 minutes.
It's purely genetic, but the fitter you are, the more efficient you body becomes at cooling itself down=more sweat sooner.

that is sooo sig material :)

my main goal is losing weight.

just caught that, you'll be in for some major workout adjustment, or diet adjustment. or alcohol intake adjustment. i'm siding with ian coe's direction.... exceeeeeept fat loss is most efficiently acheived at 50% to 70% of your max heart rate (220 - your age) after 20 minutes according to the american heart association. (which has worked for me exceptionally well) i'm assuming a 7:30 mile will put you above 70% heart rate until your fitness increases markedly. try alternating your heart rates from day to day. higher to improve your run and lower to acheive optimal fat metabolism.

hope that helps, you seem crazy enough to put the time in to see real results.

EDIT: oh sorry, use an elliptical while you rehab your shin splints.

Yea I guess I figured.

I am basically a poor mans Chuck Liddell. It's pretty ironic actually since I am the same height, have the same reach he has listed and look exactly like him in his worst fighting shape.

I have great muscle definition everywhere except my abs and I party too much. But I am fast and I have absolutely no problem pushing myself to the limit everytime and anytime I workout.

I guess I just need to quit drinking and get consistent. The only problem is that I feel even more ready to party after a good workout.

So a 7:15(my average) min mile is bad for someone my size?

its not bad but its not great either. do you have a mohawk and a sweet handle bar mustache too?

Back