Do humans have underrated physical abilities in comparsion to other mammals?

I can't help but think you are really overestimating the ability if a house cat. Sure they could scratch me up a bit til I snapped his neck, were my life on the line of course.

Yes, probably if you and a house cat were in a battle to the death you would eventually end up victorious. But a house cat can scratch you so deeply they rend muscle and soft tissue if they are really out to kill. And their claws are full of bacteria- if you didn't have access to human made soap and have easy access to fresh water you'd probably die of sepsis. Most animals don't throw down in life or death battles because any injury usually means you are going to die.

I'll bet the average human (OK, American) couldn't run, even at a slow pace, a quarter mile without walking.
An average deer could run further than that with an arrow sticking out of it after being shot.

You kidding?

I smoke like a chimney, I'm overweight, and I can still make a mile before I have to stop.

And I could probably run at least a bit further if it were a survival situation.

Yes, probably if you and a house cat were in a battle to the death you would eventually end up victorious. But a house cat can scratch you so deeply they rend muscle and soft tissue if they are really out to kill. And their claws are full of bacteria- if you didn't have access to human made soap and have easy access to fresh water you'd probably die of sepsis. Most animals don't throw down in life or death battles because any injury usually means you are going to die.

In what scenario would I be in a fight with a house cat and no access to human made soap?

One of my best buds is a veterinarian. He's now an assistant professor of primate surgery, but was a "monkey farmer" for years after grad school. He bred and raised rehesus macaques for big Pharma med research. Pretty interesting place, if you're not totally unsettled by the notion of animal experiments. If you google Rhesus macaque, you'll see a blurb about an isolated colony from Morgan Island that are now bred in captivity in FLA - that was him. He basically was like an OB/Gyn after breeding season doing C-sections, making new monkey babies; and a trauma surgeon during breeding season b/c the males often damaged each other fighting for female access.
Anyways, at birth he'd remove their canines, so they'd be less lethal. The males can get up to 25ish lbs, but he wouldn't go near them w/out proper sedation (ketamine is a hell of a drug). The aggressive ferocity, agility, and strength of non-human primates is hard to comprehend. In short, a 25 lb Rhesus macaque would seriously fuck up any unarmed human - especially w/ intact canines.
Another quick story - a colleague of his was working w/ orangutans. She was being lazy, taking shortcuts, and went to apply a little bit of antibacterial salve on the animal's toe w/out sedating the creature first. Bad move. Upon reaching into the cage, the animal grabbed her wrist, torqued her arm into multiple compound fractures, and ripped the flesh off in one motion. She had to have her arm amputated.

LOL Funny thread. Humans are so feeble and pathetic that you take away their shoes, clothing, weapons and tools and they will easily perish in the wild. That is if they don't die of panic and boredom first since they won't have their TVs and Iphones to listen to their music, see their Facebook status and watch Jersey Shore.

Our bodies are phenomenal at long distance running. We wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for persistence hunting. There are people to this day who can run a hundred miles in one go.

Also, this is one of the most amazing videos you'll ever see! Guaranteed! Humans win again!

Back