Do Brazilians call Jiu-Jitsu, Brazilians Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil?

CajunJudoka

Judo Brown BJJ Brown
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I don't think they do. It seems like every interview I read and website I go to the Brazilians call it just Jiu-Jitsu or Pedro Alberto Jiu-Jitsu or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu or Alliance Jiu-Jitsu. Is this just an american term? I mean the Jiu-Jitsu the Gracies learned was from Count Koma and he was Japanese and he didn't teach them BJJ he taught them Judo/Jiu-Jitsu that he learned in Japan.

Please don't come on here and say, but Helio took what he learned and changed the techs to make them easier for a smaller man. Have you ever looked at the size of Jigaro Kano Sensei or Mifune Sensei? He may have made his style of Jiu-Jitsu but he didn't change the Techs.

Let's just discuss the term BJJ and where it is used.

Train Hard, Stay Safe.

Last edited:
The Brazilians just call it "Jiu Jitsu" in conversation.

I mean the Jiu-Jitsu the Gracies learned was from Count Koma and he was Japanese and he didn't teach them BJJ he taught them Judo/Jiu-Jitsu that he learned in Japan.

Just wanted to point out that Maeda never learned any Jujutsu. He beat jujutsu champions but he was only ever Judo (and sumo when he was young). IMO its quite confusing that Brazilian Jiujitsu is called that since it should really be called Brazilian Judo or Brazilian newaza or something since it was only indirectly related to jujutsu through Judo.

In China, they refer to Chinese food simply as "food."

I know, I just blew you mind...

Also, zhoo zhitsu, IMO

Since they are "Brazilian" they probably figure you know what type of Jiu Jitsu they are talking about

Canadian bacon in Canada is just bacon. Food for thought.

7.gif

I'm sure someone can enlighten me..

Is there a background of why Helio adopted the JuiJitsu name instead of Judo or another?

Is there a background of why Helio adopted the JuiJitsu name instead of Judo or another?

I thought that Meada told them they were learning jujitsu. Jujutsu was the Japanese term for most of their martial arts back then. Judo is just a ruleset.

It's not though. You guys call it Canadian bacon and we call that back bacon. Regular bacon is the same is what you guys call bacon.

Bacon your pardon?

Seriously, I will relate that in Brazil, they mostly just said zhoo zhitsu, but once in a while called it jiu jitsu Brasiliero if they were trying to distinguish it from something else.

I think because it was called Kano Jiu-Jitsu at the time. The Gracies then named their form similarly, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

Just wanted to point out that Maeda never learned any Jujutsu. He beat jujutsu champions but he was only ever Judo (and sumo when he was young). IMO its quite confusing that Brazilian Jiujitsu is called that since it should really be called Brazilian Judo or Brazilian newaza or something since it was only indirectly related to jujutsu through Judo.

I agree with you but I didn't to start another one of those threads. I know at first it was called Kano JJ then went to Judo.

Lots of crap answers... awesome. I think the reason they don't call it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was becaue they learned Gracie Jiu Jitsu or Sylvio Behring Jiu Jitsu or Alliance Jiu Jitsu. I think the Brazilian was thrown in there for marketing reasons. Good job! It worked! Everybody seems to know what BJJ means.

Back