Do any UFC fighters have a better ground game than Paul Harris?

Plenty of guys in the UFC could handle him. Maia would fucking school him! I would bet 14 Sherdog accounts on it!!!

he got beat on the ground by Belcher and Marquardt.

you might argue getting pounded out with hammer fists doesn't count. but that's a spurious argument in MMA.

he's really good. so was Imanari. but mostly good at one thing, which forces the opponent to always have half their brain on defending that one thing. and when the opponent is that unbalanced, he beats a lot of them.

but when that one thing is beat, he - like Imanari - is fucked.

Last edited:
The truth is that Palhares can submit all of the fighters mentioned so far, including Werdum and Jacare. Heel hooks are the great equalizer because the strength of the ACL does not scale with the size of the person. Moreover, Palhares is a very good defensive grappler. See his match with Galvao.

I'm not saying he would beat those guys, but he has a decent chance.

Henry Cejudo.
6a00e553c23b498833013484ec8050970c-pi

lol, no.

Now that Palhares is making headlines again :icon_neut, where do you think Palhares would rank as a ground fighter if he was still in the UFC? Seeing as he recently submitted two guys who were considered among the best MMA grapplers in Shields (eye gouges aside) and Fitch, would you consider any of the following list to be better than him in terms of ground game? Or is the most controversial grappler in MMA (in ring actions wise) also the best?

Werdum
Barnett
Mir
Jones
Cormier
Weidman
Jacare
Rockhold
Maia
Gunni
Khabib
RDA
Aldo
Oliveira
Cruz
Faber
Mouse
Rousey
insert anyone else who might rival him

Hendo totally dominated him on the ground. He looked like a man toying with a little kid.

"Who's the best on the ground in the UFC? Cause it ain't Torquinho no more"

- Alan Belcher.

Hendo totally dominated him on the ground. He looked like a man toying with a little kid.

Watch the fight again.

Hendo wanted no part of the ground, and other than a bit in the 1st avoided the ground with Palhares as best he could.

Maybe he's not so complete as guys like Maia or Jacar

He's the dirtiest guy ever. I hope he never gets to fight for a major org ever.

He's certainly very well suited for MMA just like guys like Mir, Fedor, Aoki or Nog none of those guys would be BJJ/ADCC champs but in MMA highly aggressive submission offence is much more effective.

The truth is that Palhares can submit all of the fighters mentioned so far, including Werdum and Jacare. Heel hooks are the great equalizer because the strength of the ACL does not scale with the size of the person. Moreover, Palhares is a very good defensive grappler. See his match with Galvao.

I'm not saying he would beat those guys, but he has a decent chance.

Did you see the Belcher fight? Belcher competed against Palhares right in his element, battling leglock vs leglock. The tension in the exchange was insane, Rogan was freaking about Belcher losing a leg, even shouting out something like, "Get out of there, Alan!" But Belcher stayed calm, nullified Palhares in the realm where he was so feared, and then completely dismantled him.

Well, in his prime he was considered a top grappler at WW.

It depends on your definition of the word "grappler". If you are saying that Fitch was EVER considered a top "grappler", I am assuming you are using it in the non-submission wrestling sense, because a top wrestler was all Fitch was ever considered. And in that case, Paul Harris isn't currently considered a great non-submission wrestling grappler. Rossimar is a great submission grappler, which is something Jon Fitch has NEVER been considered as being at the top of. Not even close. It sounds like you are confusing BJJ ground game with "get them and hold them to the ground game" wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back