DIY Medicine balls

mettalhead

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting these materials from the hardware store I work at an Wally world and making my own medicine ball.

A couple questions I have.
Has anyone done this? what have you found to be the best method?
Smaller sized, do you think a soccer ball or any smaller ball would be able to handle the stress?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW this game about because I went to the fitness equipment store today and the damn things are fourty bucks for a 10 lb. one that wasn't gonna bounce.

I assume you meant to post a link. Are you going for the old basketball and lead shot routine?

Old basketball, sand, a tire repair kit, and duct tape.

=25lb medicine ball for slamming

^lead shot sounds much easier

You could easily make your own, and there are quality tutorials available online.

However, you made a big mistake going to a store. Ringside, Title, Amazon, and general online sporting goods sites will sell for 1/3 of in-store prices.

Ross's training forum has a section for homemade gym equipment. Those guys are unbelievably creative, you'll find it there for sure.

Just don't half-ass homemade equipment. That is a recipe for serious injury.

Just don't half-ass homemade equipment. That is a recipe for serious injury.

True, but you can't really go wrong with a medicine ball, lol. Btw, Ross also has a link for a homemade ball on the main site.

Sand + duffel bag + zipties = no bounce medicine ball. Leave it a little loose so it doesn't explode on impact.

Old basketball, sand, a tire repair kit, and duct tape.

=25lb medicine ball for slamming

^lead shot sounds much easier

I got 20lbs in mine and couldn't get it any fuller, and leavin' the needle in the hole for 3 months while I took my good ol' time to get the sand through the funnel f*ed the hole so it doesn't hold air. Still works good tho, just can get flat on one side.

Sand + duffel bag + zipties = no bounce medicine ball. Leave it a little loose so it doesn't explode on impact.

Sounds a lot easier than the basketball idea. But wouldn't that make it a small sandbag?

Does that matter? and how big a medicine ball do you want?

sorry yea I was gonna post a link. It's the first one that comes up in google.

I went on got the basketball. just under 5 bucks at wally world. and started the process but the sand is wet right now so its not going through the funnel well at all. I'm gonna let it dry out some and do some more tomorrow since I've got an ass load of time.

It's hard to make sure it still bounces.

I brought my 4 dollar Wal-hell ball and filled it full of sand but couldn't get the patch to stick. It still makes an awesome conditioning tool. Me bending down to pick it up, instead of the bounce, makes it all the more fun.

I'm pumped for when I get this thing filled. Slams galore on conditioning day

did you steal the sand from an outdoor playground? You should have bought a bag, woulda been like 5 bucks and you'd be done. Post pics when its done, i just might make one.

did you steal the sand from an outdoor playground? You should have bought a bag, woulda been like 5 bucks and you'd be done. Post pics when its done, i just might make one.

Nah it rained a bit today, and well most places around here keep the big bags of stuff outside. Well when I bought my sand today some water had gotten into the bag. It's a little moist and clumping up a bit so it won't go down the funnel very well.

i did the whole ziploc bag covered in duct tape routine. you cant slam them, but you can throw them.

The Medicine Ball is nice to have. I filled mine up with sand from my backyard (I live in lowlying Georgia, nothing but Sand). Next get yourself a keg. Although truth be told I haven't touched my Keg in months. Could change soon though.

Well a basketball or medicine ball would have a firm exterior and would not deform and change weight distribution while your working with it versus a small sandbag.

Back