Dive?

Seano

Hands of bone
@plutonium
Reaction score

Think so?

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=94588

A previously reported by BoxingScene.com, Saturday's fight between Braulio Rodriguez (18-1, 17KOs) and Marcos Gabriel Martinez (17-3) came under fire with dive allegations from local press.

The two boxers fought for the vacant WBC interim-Latino super featherweight championship at the Radisson Victoria Plaza, Montevideo, Uruguay.

In the second round, Rodriguez threw a flurry of punches that sent Martinez down hard and he was in very bad shape upon rising. The referee had no choice but to wave off the fight.

Multiple replays of the ending left the broadcast crew in disbelief as it appeared that all of the punches either missed their mark or barely grazed Martinez.

Daniel Day Lewis respects his acting.

Looks pretty bad. All the punches pretty much miss, then he overacts while he's on the mat. Spitting out his mouth guard, rolling his eyes, falling into the ropes, it all looks really silly to me. It kind of reminded me of a high schooler pretending to be drunk to impress his friends.

I don't think the winner was in on it. Either someone paid the guy to take a dive or he was just looking for a way out a la Hopkins/DLH.

He clearly had no chance, so I agree. Think he was looking for a way out. On the full speed it did sound like one of those punches at least landed with some pop so he may have just been clipped in the right spot.

The floundering around always looks garbage though.

Looks pretty bad. All the punches pretty much miss, then he overacts while he's on the mat. Spitting out his mouth guard, rolling his eyes, falling into the ropes, it all looks really silly to me. It kind of reminded me of a high schooler pretending to be drunk to impress his friends.

Huh?? Overacting happens in boxing??

ap-mayweather-maidana-boxing_001.jpg

Huh. The second punch maybe? Rodriguez's forearm grazes the back of Martinez's head. Doesn't seem like enough to knock him out, but...maybe?

When Martinez heard that they couldn't get all opf the words on the title belt to the "WBC interim-Latino Chocolate/Marshmellow Hershey sponsored super featherweight" championship he just said screw it and went home.

Does he get clipped by a left behind the ear? Like the second punch, looks like the winners hand changes trajectory as it moves past his head indicating impact

Oh look a Mayweather thread. Refreshing.

I don't know. Kind of looks like he took one on the side of the head and maybe some forearm elbow action to the top of the head?

He did react like his dome was rocked and not like he got chin checked.

EDIT - in the corner with the doc he does motion that it was the top of his head that hurt so I am thinking this was a legit end or at the very worst he got hurt to the top of the head and thought maybe it would be called illegal if he couldn't go on. Wasn't a phantom knockout like some sites have been saying though.

Back